Eagles sign TE Richard Rodgers

SteelKing728

Y'all out here trading picks while we're signin playas for pennies

(I only remember him as the hail mary guy and "Oh there's another Rodgers, that's cute")
But nice to get another warm body behind Ertz with starting experience.

I think GB about maxed out what you're gonna get with Rodgers in 2015 when he had 510 yards and 8 TDs. He is a solid TE2 who was used pretty poorly by GB the past couple of seasons. His targets primarily came on TE dumps in the flats with expectations of him making someone miss... Richard is not fast and does not make guys miss.

2 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

I think GB about maxed out what you're gonna get with Rodgers in 2015 when he had 510 yards and 8 TDs. He is a solid TE2 who was used pretty poorly by GB the past couple of seasons. His targets primarily came on TE dumps in the flats with expectations of him making someone miss... Richard is not fast and does not make guys miss.

Fair analysis.   Obviously Burton couldn't be kept, but this really means Ertz becomes more important to the team.  Rodgers is a guy who gets open when the D doesn't account for him, hence the dump offs being his main source of targets.    When you have 3 bigger threats and A-Rod, that's how you get a 8 TD season.  But it wasn't based on his ability to separate and win, he was pretty much unaccounted for then.    You could do worse as a backup, but he's literally a replacement-level vet IMO.

With Ajayi, Clement, Agholor, Jeffery, Ertz, etc, Rodgers is a good signing. He won't be "needed", but he has enough talent to contribute in a role. I wouldn't be surprised to see his production inflate a little simply by circumstance. Not a sexy signing, but you could do a lot worse. 

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Rodgers is a guy who gets open when the D doesn't account for him

I'll not argue your overall point, it stands. But here's one where he was accounted for and still beat the LB Sean Lee vs Dallas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwhMEr0bovo

One of the challenges for RRodgers is that both at Stanford and in GB, they messed with his playing weight . They had him drop weight to add speed, then later asked him to add weight to improve his blocking. So he would yo-yo up and down from season to season. That's tough on a player

He's also the son of an NFL coach ( Panthers ST) and he certainly gives the game all he's got.

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I'll not argue your overall point, it stands. But here's one where he was accounted for and still beat the LB Sean Lee vs Dallas

One of the challenges for RRodgers is that both at Stanford and in GB, they messed with his playing weight . They had him drop weight to add speed, then later asked him to add weight to improve his blocking. So he would yo-yo up and down from season to season. That's tough on a player

He's also the son of an NFL coach ( Panthers ST) and he certainly gives the game all he's got.

Yeah, that's the issue for sure - for him to be a decent blocker, he lost a lot of his explosion.   Ultimately, he's likely going to be a 2nd TE, blocking-type guy, so he has to stay in that skill range.   The Lee play was a strong one, but his increased size has taken away much of that separation ability. 

Still, you can do worse as a 2nd TE.   It's more that when Ertz didn't play with his concussion and then managed snaps, Burton could do literally 90 percent of what Ertz in the pass game - that's not happening with Rodgers.   Ertz's ability to stay on the field is going to be more important this year, that's all I'm saying.

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

He went to Cal. 

Don't expect much Eagles fans. He's slow, not a good blocker, but he does have pretty good hands. 

@jrry32 @stl4life07 @Non-Issue

Can you guys do your part in this rivalry and denounce this move, Howie Roseman, the greater area of Philadelphia, and just how good Doug looks in jeans please?

All we have is @MKnight82 for rivals, since @Matts4313 quit the site, and he checked out once the Alex Smith trade hit twitter.

We are close to 10 threads turned into just and Eagles v Rams on this punch card, then we get a free small coffee or 2 hash browns free.

Pete that's like calling for a STD? No flare ups or coffee needed in here! 

As for Rodgers it's a meh signing to me. They needed depth with the departures of Celek and Burton but I'm still curious if one will be taken in the draft "long term" to go with Ertz?

Could be worse I guess.

Archived