DEN signs P Marquette King to 3-year deal

Broncofan

Given our overall needs, hope it's a team-friendly deal.   The lure of being in altitude and getting to play OAK hopefully got King to take a discount.  We just can't afford to spend top $ on a P/K.   Hope to hear Elway's spun some FA magic in the $ details.

18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Given our overall needs, hope it's a team-friendly deal.   The lure of being in altitude and getting to play OAK hopefully got King to take a discount.  We just can't afford to spend top $ on a P/K.   Hope to hear Elway's spun some FA magic in the $ details.

He won't be cheap but we need serious improvement in that area. We got killed in the field position battle last year.

On a related note - Riley Dixon only has 20K dead money - but he's also only 650K in salary.   We're not forced to make a move cap-wise - but again, remember our 2019 cap situation is beyond ugly (30th out of 32 teams, and even if we cut 5+ vets next year  <Leary & Wolfe if injuries still an issue, Marshall since he and Davis are playing the same role, one of our WR's, Watson for sure>, we're still easily a bottom-10 team in cap space.   

There's talk Elway will try to trade Riley Dixon - I honestly don't know who would want to pay for him, knowing we have to cut him.   I do wonder if Elway would think about trading McManus, though.  To be clear, we're not cutting McManus, as he literally would cost us 2.5M more than to keep him.     A trade would still be cap neutral, but would save that 2.5M of dead money down the line.   There's obvious risk there, and McManus was so clutch in 2015 playoffs, I'll always think of him fondly, but if you need to balance the team overall, if you spend any decent coin on P, then going cheap on K may be the route Elway explores - but that's only with a trade of McManus.  Something to follow.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

He won't be cheap but we need serious improvement in that area. We got killed in the field position battle last year.

No argument on our horrific ST play.   It's just a bad commentary on our coaching in that regard, as with altitude we should have been better in coverage/blocking than we were.   That's entirely on the coaching staff.     

King's hang time will help negate our bad coverage, but in the long run, we just need actual decent ST coaching.  Hopefully we see that this year (King will help the coverage be better with his hang time, but penalties/blocking/return game he can't influence).

I'm just hoping we can get a relative discount given the DEN air / OAK revenge angles Elway can pitch.

27 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

What a bizarre move. We had a perfectly good punter in Riley Dixon who was cheap and we drafted him and we decide to go overpay a Raiders cast off. 

Dixon was garbage. He was especially terrible considering he plays in altitude. This gives us a markedly better punter on a pretty good deal.

35 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

What a bizarre move. We had a perfectly good punter in Riley Dixon who was cheap and we drafted him and we decide to go overpay a Raiders cast off. 

By perfectly good do you just mean “not completely terrible”? 27th in the NFL in net yards, also one of the lowest “inside the 20” percentages. Remember his numbers are inflated by playing in Denver.

Denver could have lived with keeping Dixon, but they saw an opportunity to get a top 5 punter whose monster leg will be a weapon at Mile High, for only the 10th highest average punter salary. Not a strange move at all.

I love this offseason haven't been so excited since 2012 and that was 6 years ago man time flies . If they kill the draft I woll be elated. 

So many guys I'd love to see in our uni. I hear we are bringing in penny for a visit. Imagine him and nelson.

Whats going on with Shaq Barrett guess no one will offer a second for him? He's a solid underrated player.

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I love this offseason haven't been so excited since 2012 and that was 6 years ago man time flies . If they kill the draft I woll be elated. 

So many guys I'd love to see in our uni. I hear we are bringing in penny for a visit. Imagine him and nelson.

Whats going on with Shaq Barrett guess no one will offer a second for him? He's a solid underrated player.

The way teams value draft picks I don’t think any team gave much thought to trading for Barrett.

2 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The way teams value draft picks I don’t think any team gave much thought to trading for Barrett.

Well he was tendered I don't know why you say that he's better and younger than jpp at this point in their repected careers. And every championship team values depth at end.

Just now, thebestever6 said:

Well he was tendered I don't know why you say that he's better and younger than jpp at this point in their repected careers. And every championship team values depth at end.

JPP is also significantly more consistent and a bigger name. Some of that stuff plays into it as well.

Archived