DEN signs P Marquette King to 3-year deal

Broncofan

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Well he was tendered I don't know why you say that he's better and younger than jpp at this point in their repected careers. And every championship team values depth at end.

He’s also a free agent in 2019 who will be overpaid because of positional value. No team would trade 4 years of a 2nd rounder for that. 

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

He’s also a free agent in 2019 who will be overpaid because of positional value. No team would trade 4 years of a 2nd rounder for that. 

Whats the success rate of a second rounder 30%? Seeme equal.  I'm playing devils advocate

5 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Whats the success rate of a second rounder 30%? Seeme equal.  I'm playing devils advocate

That’s fine but no NFL teams value draft picks that way and no NFL teams would value Shaq Barrett, a good role player, that way. 

How many times in 2016-2017 did the team end up in a pumting battle early where the other team chipped away possession by possession until they were starting on our side of the field? Nevermind Norwood and McKenzie’s blunders, Dixon was out-punted all the time. 

17 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

How many times in 2016-2017 did the team end up in a pumting battle early where the other team chipped away possession by possession until they were starting on our side of the field? Nevermind Norwood and McKenzie’s blunders, Dixon was out-punted all the time. 

That was brutal to watch. Kinda like "death by a thousand cuts". Really slow, painful and inevitable.

8 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

That was brutal to watch. Kinda like "death by a thousand cuts". Really slow, painful and inevitable.

A punter is huge with a bad offense (hopefully not the case in 2018) and a good defense. Too many times we lost field position battle (or gave up an early defensive TD) which would cause a game long downward spiral. 

Why the hell did the Raiders cut him? Did his performance fall off in 2017, relative to his great 2016?

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

It's all fun and games until he gets penalized. He's one hell of a player but his antics will get annoying, I promise you that.

How many penalties has he gotten? I can probably find that pretty easily 

28 minutes ago, champ11 said:

How many penalties has he gotten? I can probably find that pretty easily 

4 PF’s the last 2 years.   One was a face mask on a tackle so that’s a throwaway.   The 3 others were unnecessary.  One where he threw the football at the opponent.   He also posed with Talib wearing a chain after the Crabtree fight #1 after the 2017 Pro Bowl.   That drew the ire from Mack.  

There’s some risk for off the field antics.   By to be clear the position upgrade is undeniable.   The deal isn’t bad at all.   The 7M isn’t even guaranteed.   That’s the max.  So it looks like a 1M per year discount from his last deal.  So it’s decent to great value.   And our ability to manage flamboyant personalities and keep them focused on the field has been strong enough to take the level of off-the-field risk.

We will still have cap hell to deal with in 2019 but that’s not really on King’s deal.   This probably increases the chance we go cheap at K next year (we can’t really save on K money this year without a trade and even then it’s only for addressing 2019+ health).    This is one way to overcome bad coverage.  

44 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

A punter is huge with a bad offense (hopefully not the case in 2018) and a good defense. Too many times we lost field position battle (or gave up an early defensive TD) which would cause a game long downward spiral. 

Why the hell did the Raiders cut him? Did his performance fall off in 2017, relative to his great 2016?

Gruden didn’t like his off the field antics.  Cut him without even meeting him.  Sending a message.   

Which by the looks of the FA signings the message is “if you don’t have 2009 NFL tape you are dead to me”. :D

16 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I believe McManus can be cut post June 1st with 2.25m in savings. Gives the new kicker time to make an impression. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/brandon-mcmanus-12797/

For this year it would be slightly more expensive with a trade (because the remaining cap 3.75M bonus hit becomes due now and is more than his 2018 salary and bonus hit by 250k) but for 2019-20 it would save 2.5M then  thus your net of 2.25M.  But a cut the problem is that the salary is guaranteed.    So we take the 2019-20 bonus hit and the 2018 salary with a cut.   A cut costs us 6M.   A trade costs 3.75M but we can’t avoid that no matter what. 

Next year the salary isn’t guaranteed so I do think this is highly likely.  I think we’d have to trade him to clear the 2.25M 2018 salary.   

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Gruden didn’t like his off the field antics.  Cut him without even meeting him.  Sending a message.   

Which by the looks of the FA signings the message is “if you don’t have 2009 NFL tape you are dead to me”. :D

Gruden in Oakland is the most Raiders thing of all time. I still can’t believe it 

39 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Gruden in Oakland is the most Raiders thing of all time. I still can’t believe it 

To his defense its a better hire than Lane kiffin, art shell, Denise Allen, Jack Del Rio, tom cable, hue jackson. Im sure I forgot some.

Archived