DEN signs P Marquette King to 3-year deal

Broncofan

42 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Gruden didn’t like his off the field antics.  Cut him without even meeting him.  Sending a message.   

Or his on field antics. He got 15 yard penalties in back to back weeks. Gruden commented on his holds  being an issue on some FGs.

King has a big leg. His problem is, he tries sooooooooo hard to be funny. He used to be pretty low key, but his social media prowess blew his ego up and he started trying to hard to get attention on and off the field. 

Wasn't liked in the locker room by some accounts. Believe me....you'll get sick of his antics after awhile. Del Rio and the old staff was sick of him long before Gruden decided to cut him.

43 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Or his on field antics. He got 15 yard penalties in back to back weeks. Gruden commented on his holds  being an issue on some FGs.

King has a big leg. His problem is, he tries sooooooooo hard to be funny. He used to be pretty low key, but his social media prowess blew his ego up and he started trying to hard to get attention on and off the field. 

Wasn't liked in the locker room by some accounts. Believe me....you'll get sick of his antics after awhile. Del Rio and the old staff was sick of him long before Gruden decided to cut him.

My point exactly.  Went rogue on a fake punt as well.  The minute his antics cost Denver yards the fan base including in this forum will be done with him.

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

My point exactly.  Went rogue on a fake punt as well.  The minute his antics cost Denver yards the fan base including in this forum will be done with him.

It’s fair to say if he pulls similar dumb plays on the field the sentiment will change.  And quickly.   That’s a legit risk.  

But the price unless it’s a rookie contract UDFA P who excels is about 1M per year more for a league average talent.   And if he’s not as advertised performance wise we likely spend less remember the 7M is the max for the 3 years.  I really want to see the full contract and what incentives there are.  

Now we can’t spend 6M on our P/K’s with our cap situation. I’d hope we can trade McManus for a conditional 2019 pick before TC.   That’s the one way we can create 2019-20 balance.   

So, whats really funny about this is he rates just a bit below Britton Colquitt in all but a few categories. I'll love his attitude but I don't really think he's much of an upgrade from Colquitt or Kern. Definite upgrade from Dixon though. I think the FO just finally realized a good punter can gain you 50+ yards in field position every game. That's a lot of yards.

If this kid takes it seriously, with his physical talent, he should be able put Kern, Colquitt and Dixon well in his rearview mirror.

I'm not much concerned about all the peripheral stuff. Looks to me like a good acquisition.

So he has a Von-type personality without any off-field issues (correct me if I'm wrong). So what's the problem? He performs. Nobody likes penalties but I'll take a few if our field position is greatly improved. The way he was cut says a lot more about Gruden than it does King.

Lol people are acting like Denver got some kind of major weapon.  King isn’t anything special and as @big_palooka has stated he has a big leg, but his personality and antics will wear you out.  Just like it did with the Raiders.  A potential locker room cancer at Punter is a pretty obvious no go, IMO.  

But, Denver is now the “fun team” according to King. So many people would have considered this a Raiders “Al Davis” type of move in this forum 8 years ago.

....You don’t want to be the “fun team” they never win.

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Lol people are acting like Denver got some kind of major weapon.  King isn’t anything special

See, here you’re reaching because you don’t like the guy. He definitely is a major weapon for a defensive team and he’s one of the best punters in the league. What is special? Ray Guy?

And I highly doubt anyone would have called signing a great punter at a market discount an Al Davis move. 

3 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Well here you’re clearly reaching because you don’t like the guy. He definitely is a major weapon for a defensive team and he’s one of the best punters in the league. What is special? Ray Guy?

What does he do that is so great?

17 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Lol people are acting like Denver got some kind of major weapon.  King isn’t anything special and as @big_palooka has stated he has a big leg, but his personality and antics will wear you out.  Just like it did with the Raiders.  A potential locker room cancer at Punter is a pretty obvious no go, IMO.  

But, Denver is now the “fun team” according to King. So many people would have considered this a Raiders “Al Davis” type of move in this forum 8 years ago.

....You don’t want to be the “fun team” they never win.

You're pulling at,straws man the guy is a punter if he destroys a locker room than you didn't have much of one to begin with. 

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

What does he do that is so great?

Trick question? Monster leg, gets great hangtime, the last three years has been among the best in the league in net YPP and % of punts downed inside the 20. By almost any measure, he is one of the best in the league at his position.

If you are stuck on the personality and feel like that’s the end-all, fair enough. You’re not going to make a good case against his on-field abilities though.

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Trick question? Monster leg, gets great hangtime, the last three years has been among the best in the league in net YPP and % of punts downed inside the 20. By almost any measure, he is one of the best in the league at his position.

If you are stuck on the personality and feel like that’s the end-all, fair enough. You’re not going to make a good case against his on-field abilities though.

Maybe you’re right. 

8 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

You're pulling at,straws man the guy is a punter if he destroys a locker room than you didn't have much of one to begin with. 

Agree. As a punter he is great. As a wannabe social media star with an attention craving attitude, he's a try hard and annoying.

It should be interesting.... Vance Joseph doesn't strike me as much of a leader and if King thinks he's going to "the fun team" and gets away with being more of a clown..... ehhhhh.

Past guys like Shanahan wouldn't have dealt with him. A coach that lets him act like a clown it could be an issue. Because believe me.... King will do ANYTHING for attention. Every punt he's trying to get the camera on him. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Agree. As a punter he is great. As a wannabe social media star with an attention craving attitude, he's a try hard and annoying.

It should be interesting.... Vance Joseph doesn't strike me as much of a leader and if King thinks he's going to "the fun team" and gets away with being more of a clown..... ehhhhh.

Past guys like Shanahan wouldn't have dealt with him. A coach that lets him act like a clown it could be an issue. Because believe me.... King will do ANYTHING for attention. Every punt he's trying to get the camera on him. 

I would say to him just don't get a penalty because if my punter costs me yards there's a problem.

Its probably the lowest risk highest reward move of our offseason so far. And thats an offseason that includes Sua cravens.

Archived