DEN signs P Marquette King to 3-year deal

Broncofan

I think ppl are overestimating King's actual game impact for the team we are now.   @germ-x's statement that he isn't a big weapon actually holds true - his impact is what's termed in business circles as a "multiplier" - he will augment a team's baseline talent with good ST play in the punting game.   He certainly helps our punt coverage be much better with his hang time, and his ability to get the ball downed inside the 20 with his ball placement skills.   That's undeniable.   The impact augments an elite D, and it helps with an O that can move the chains enough to win ToP.   In short, good teams benefit greatly from a P.   But if the O struggles perpetually, or the D isn't elite, that benefit is reduced significantly.   The Rams have had one of the best P's around, and when their O was awful under Jeff Fisher and the D good but not great, the Rams suffered through miserable season after miserable season.    If you are a contender, having King multiplies the play of the D and O - but if your team isn't great on O & D, the relative difference isn't nearly as significant, and in fact, it's probably trivial by itself.   Guys like him matter in close games and between closely matched teams - but if we are overmatched in the other areas, King's superiority barely makes a difference.   

If people think King is getting us to being a better team by himself, it's the other way around - if we can build a better team on O and D, King's impact will magnify.   He'll have a positive impact unless his antics spill onto the field.   There is no argument that he's an upgrade.   But the actual impact is dependent on how much better we'll be on O, and how much worse we'll be on D, after the changes.   ST is a huge difference-maker when teams are matched up closely - and unlike O and D, coaching has an even bigger impact, given it's back-of-roster talent being used.   So ST shouldn't be understated.  But if your ST are better, but D is worse and O is still just mediocre, well, you get the idea.

Before ppl think I'm down on the signing, I'm not - because Elway got King to agree to a discount.   I've been saying it all offseason, we are realistically not a 2018 contender.  Too many holes, too many needs where ppl need to step up who've either not shown it yet or have major injury risk/recoveries with unknown outcomes.  So getting guys who have long-term appeal matters just as much as upgrading 2018.  Assuming he can keep the antics off the field, King would likely be a 2019-20 asset.  So I'm all for it.   We still should seriously explore a McManus trade (we won't get much, more just salary relief) this year IMO, so the K we get is ready to be a 2019+ difference-maker (it's rare, not impossible, but rare to get a rookie K be great from the start - remember McManus' first year he actually got cut for Barth, and only really came into his own in year 2).

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

because Elway got King to agree to a discount

Literally no evidence of that. In fact, his agent found his market to be soft per reports. He gained little interest outside of Minnesota the only team that kicked tires. His market was soft, because he's a punter who tries to draw attention to himself. 

Talented, yes. But let's not pretend a lot of teams shied away from him who could use a punter for certain reasons. 

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Literally no evidence of that. In fact, his agent found his market to be soft per reports. He gained little interest outside of Minnesota the only team that kicked tires. His market was soft, because he's a punter who tries to draw attention to himself. 

Talented, yes. But let's not pretend a lot of teams shied away from him who could use a punter for certain reasons. 

It's a 3-year, 7M deal at maximum.  It's not even all guaranteed.   We need to see the guaranteed $, but right now, with only AAV to work off, it's the 12th highest.   And we know it's not fully guaranteed.   

Spin it any way you want, but let's not pretend it isn’t a discount.    SMH @ the saltiness here. 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

It's a 3-year, 7M deal at maximum.  It's not even all guaranteed.   We need to see the guaranteed $, but right now, with only AAV to work off, it's the 12th highest.   And we know it's not fully guaranteed.   

Spin it any way you want, but let's not pretend it's a discount.    SMH @ the saltiness here. 

Yeah I don't get it either (re the bold).  I am quite stoked about this signing and I've gone over the reasons on the Broncos Rumors board. 

Here are the full details:

So, for perspective:

-King's 2018, 2019 & 2020 salary are 1.5M, 2M and 2M - unless he is the top punter in the NFL in 2019, and then it's 2020 3M.

-His 2019 & 2020 salaries are not guaranteed.  Only 1 year of guarantees - that's 500K bonus plus his 1.5M salary.

-If he's a problem, we cut bait with pretty much zero cap hit (367k to be exact) next year.   

-If he's the 2nd best punter in 2019, we still get him at 2M for 2019.

Now, breaking it down further:

-King's 1.67M cap hit puts him as the 19th highest paid punter for cap hit for 2018, behind Dustin Colquitt

-King's 2.133M cap hit puts him as the 14th highest paid punter for cap hit for 2019.  And..the 2M salary is not guaranteed.

And the kicker - the 2020 salary is 2M unless he's literally the best punter in the league - and even then, it just increases to 3M, and it's not guaranteed.  So again, no risk. 

So let's drop ALL pretense this wasn't a discount, OK?  Glad that's settled.  ¬¬

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Spin it any way you want, but let's not pretend it isn’t a discount.    SMH @ the saltiness here. 

It's a discount, but assess why it's a discount is all I'm getting at. 

And no saltiness from me. I've never been a fan of King's antics. His press conference in Denver shows who he is. The Raiders signed him as an URFA, let go of an all time great in Lechler to give him a shot. Was patient with him when all he could do is boom kicks and struggled holding for FGs. Then rewarded him with a lucrative deal for a punter. He should be grateful, but alas.... he acts like a self absorbed moron.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

It's a discount, but assess why it's a discount is all I'm getting at. 

And no saltiness from me. I've never been a fan of King's antics. His press conference in Denver shows who he is. The Raiders signed him as an URFA, let go of an all time great in Lechler to give him a shot. Was patient with him when all he could do is boom kicks and struggled holding for FGs. Then rewarded him with a lucrative deal for a punter. He should be grateful, but alas.... he acts like a self absorbed moron.

Did you just say assess? 

Archived