Trades, trades, and more trades

Nickpeloso17

New mock draft with lots of trades. Not what I think should happen or what I would personally do, but what I think will happen based off of needs, trends, and rumors I've read from multiple sources. Explanations aren't too in depth yet, don't want to bore you guys. Let me know what you think, but as always, "I think _____ will do _____ because..." is always better than "give us ____ instead of ____ because I like ____ more". 

1.      Cleveland Browns: Sam Darnold, QB USC

Pick seems to be down to Sam Darnold or Josh Allen. I’m not buying the Allen rumors. Browns don’t overthink it and take the better QB.

2.      *Buffalo Bills (via NYG): Josh Rosen, QB UCLA

The Bills obviously want to move up into the top 5. Gettleman has been rumored to want to auction off the pick and the Bills can offer the most.

3.      New York Jets (via IND): Josh Allen, QB Wyoming

Tough choice between Allen and Mayfield but I think the Jets traded up to get one of Darnold, Rosen or Allen, and he’s the last one left.

4.      Cleveland Browns: Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State

I’ve read everywhere that the Browns will take Barkley at 4 if he’s there. Dorsey gets his QB/RB duo for 10+ years.

5.      Denver Broncos: Bradley Chubb, DE NC State

Denver passes on a QB because they like Keenum and keep Lynch as the project backup. Chubb will contribute day one and will be dangerous with Miller.

6.      Indianapolis Colts: Quenton Nelson, OG Notre Dame

With Chubb and Barkley off the board the Colts get their Andrew Luck protector. Probably the safest pick in the draft.

7.      Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Derwin James, S Florida State

Tampa Bay has apparently been all over James at his pro day and has shown a ton of interest. Fits the strong safety spot better than Fitzpatrick does.

8.      Chicago Bears: Tremaine Edmunds, OLB Virginia Tech

Signing Robinson and Burton helps the offense so they pick the best defensive player available on draft day. Edmunds can start at ILB or OLB.

9.      *Green Bay Packers (via SF): Denzel Ward, CB Ohio State

The Packers have 12 draft picks, which is the most in the league. They see Ward slide within range, so they package some picks to get him.

10. *New England Patriots (via OAK): Baker Mayfield, QB Oklahoma

Picking their future QB helps more than an OT and DE will. The Patriots can win with the roster they have and eventually turn to Mayfield. Raiders trade out because Ward is gone.

11. Miami Dolphins: Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB Alabama

Miami wanted Mayfield, but Fitzpatrick falls due to questions about his position. Miami will start him at corner to start out then move him to safety eventually.

12. New York Giants (via BUF): Roquan Smith, OLB Georgia

The Alec Ogletree trade was big for their LB corps, and Smith is good value here to add to that. Gettleman’s selected multiple LB’s in the first.

13. Washington Redskins: Vita Vea, DT Washington

Washington was terrible against the run last season and Vea is a top 10 prospect. Easy pick for the Redskins going BPA.

14. San Francisco 49ers (via GB): Harold Landry, EDGE Boston College

The 49ers reportedly love Landry but 9 is probably too early for him. John Lynch has shown he’s not afraid to trade on draft night.

15. Arizona Cardinals: Calvin Ridley, WR Alabama

They didn’t have enough for Mayfield so they provide Bradford with more weapons to succeed. Ridley will replace Fitz after this season.

16. Baltimore Ravens: James Daniels, C Iowa

Ozzie Newsome said recently that their pick at 16 will “be a surprise” if they even stay there. Biggest need, but Daniels is taken a bit early.

17. Los Angeles Chargers: Leighton Vander Esch, ILB Boise State

Los Angeles was also bad against the run and needs a man in the middle. LVE has seen his stock rise and they’re glad he’s still here.

18. *Cleveland Browns (via SEA): Joshua Jackson, CB Iowa

There have been multiple reports about the Seahawks and Browns discussing a trade here. Cleveland trades up for a CB1 to line up across EJ Gaines.

19. Dallas Cowboys: Da’Ron Payne, DT Alabama

LVE is gone and WR can be dealt with in round 2. Payne is a monster up front that will team up with Lawrence, Collins, and Irving to form a respectable line.

20. *Jacksonville Jaguars (via DET): Lamar Jackson, QB Louisville

Yes they resigned Bortles, but last year was their ceiling with him. They have very few needs so they move up a few spots to take the falling QB.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Rashaan Evans, ILB Alabama

The Bengals wanted James Daniels, but Evans isn’t a bad plan B. He will start in place of Burfict while he’s suspended and can move over when he comes back.

22. New York Giants (via BUF): Isaiah Wynn, OG Georgia

Adding Solder was a start but the Giants want someone to create running lanes for the RB they pick in round 2. Wynn can start right away.

23. Oakland Raiders (via NE): Marcus Davenport, DE UTEP

Oakland has been rumored to really like Davenport and are thrilled to see him here. He should go higher but falls.

24. Carolina Panthers: Ronnie Harrison, S Alabama

Da’Norris Searcy isn’t a long term answer at safety. Harrison is a monster and can play all over the Panthers defense.

25. Tennessee Titans: Taven Bryan, DT Florida

All the ILB’s are gone so the Titans pick up Bryan to line up next to Jurrell Casey and eventually take over for him.

26. Atlanta Falcons: Maurice Hurst, DT Michigan

Atlanta considers Will Hernandez here, but Hurst is 10 times better than the next DT on the board and after losing Poe they need a run stopper.

27. New Orleans Saints: Courtland Sutton, WR SMU

The Saints have very few needs, but a WR to line up across from Michael Thomas is a good way to go and fill the hole they’ve had since the Cooks trade.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Hughes, CB UCF

All the top ILB’s and Safeties are gone and they didn’t have the capital to move up. Hughes helps an underwhelming CB group with Haden ageing.

29. Detroit Lions (via JAX): Sam Hubbard, DE Ohio State

Bill Belichick move: trade down and pick up a versatile defender. Hubbard will give them the pass rush they’ve been looking for.

30. Minnesota Vikings: Connor Williams, OT Texas

Williams falls further than expected due to team needs. Someone always falls, and this year it’s Williams, Davenport, and Jackson. He can play at OT or OG.

31. Oakland Raiders (via NE): Jaire Alexander, CB Louisville

They added a pass rusher earlier and there aren’t any DT’s to take here that wouldn’t be a reach. Conley, Alexander, and Melvin isn’t a terrible group.

32. *San Francisco 49ers: Christian Kirk, WR Texas A&M

The 49ers package some of the Green Bay picks along with their own to move back up. Jimmy G needs more weapons, and the Eagles need more picks

Trade down is a great idea for the Lions. They only have 6 picks so moving down a few spots to gain a few picks while maintaining decent draft position would be ideal. I doubt they draft Hubbard though. The Lions have used their 1st round pick to fill obvious holes. They have some solid players on the edge and Hubbard isn't really a stand up edge rusher, which is what they need more. They have a pretty big hole at LG though. Could see Will Hernandez, Connor Williams, or even Billy Price as more realistic options in round 1. Guys like Josh Sweat, Lorenzo Carter, and Arden Key would be round 2 targets. 

Saquon is a possibility for the Browns but I think the chances of taking Chubb are just as likely if not possibly more.  I definitely don't think the Browns trade up for Jackson since they Browns have picked up several DB's in free agency and this is a talent rich CB draft. 

3 hours ago, Nickpeloso17 said:

28. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Hughes, CB UCF

Hughes has possible character issues, and by many sites is a 2nd round pick at most. I doubt the Steelers would draft him. I hate how your mock falls. However, in this scenario, I believe the pick would one of Justin Reid S or Isiah Oliver CB. Outside chance they could go with TE, and a far out choice would be Mason Rudolph, QB.  My choice would be to trade down.

i would fire tom coughlin if we brought in Lamar as a QB and would kill him if we traded up to take him.  hes not worth the pick.  we are obviously all in for the next year for the superbowl cuz we look a bit screwed with the cap and we can draft some guys that can play more Prominent roles day 1 for us like a RG, RT, TE. we could even look at DT and DE because Fowler is on an option and we dont have anything behind him and ngakoue.  Campbell is getting older. jackson is expensive. Dareus is expensive. Jones is decent at his salary but i dont like giving 4 million to backup NT. 

15 hours ago, cjfollett said:

Hughes has possible character issues, and by many sites is a 2nd round pick at most. I doubt the Steelers would draft him. I hate how your mock falls. However, in this scenario, I believe the pick would one of Justin Reid S or Isiah Oliver CB. Outside chance they could go with TE, and a far out choice would be Mason Rudolph, QB.  My choice would be to trade down.

Or Jaire Alexander, CB Louisville as they have scouted him quite a bit.  I would not discount Bates as the pick at 28 but trade down works.

Archived