Texans D Ranking Prediction in 2018

Texansfan713

If this goes in the comparison thread let me know. How good you think the Texans defense will be assuming they are healthy?

Additions:

DC Romeo Crennel

CB Aaron Colvin

S Tyrann Matheiu

Subtractions:

DC Mike Vrabel

LB Brian Cushing

S Marcus Gilchrist

Projected Depth Chart

LDE: JJ Watt/

NT: D.J. Reader

RDE: Joel Heath

SOLB: Whitney Mercilus

LILB: Benardrick McKinney

RILB: Zach Cunningham

WOLB: Jadeveon Clowney

CB: Jonathan Joseph

CB: Kareem Jackson

FS: Andre Hal

SS: Tyrann Matheiu

I'll go kinda bold and say top 10. Mike Vrabel might be a "leader of men" but that defense was a mess. The secondary was always out of position, and while that could be an issue with personnel (which is why Colvin and Mathieu were brought in) I tend to think Romeo has the experience and know how to position everything into the right place.

Top 5 with Watt, Clowney, and Matheiu healthy.  Top 10 with Watt and Clowney healthy.  Top 20 with Clowney healthy.  Bottom 10 if they're all hurt throughout the year.  I didn't include the other players because these are the guys I think provide the greatest impact.  Also, two of them are the most injury -prone players on the team.

8 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Top 5 with Watt, Clowney, and Matheiu healthy

My assumption of top 10 is not considering Watt as healthy. If Watt is healthy (which - in my definition - is "back to himself") then this is the #1 defense in the NFL.

Don't discount the return of Whitney Mercilius, either. He's arguably the better OLB vs Jadevion Clowney.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

My assumption of top 10 is not considering Watt as healthy. If Watt is healthy (which - in my definition - is "back to himself") then this is the #1 defense in the NFL.

Don't discount the return of Whitney Mercilius, either. He's arguably the better OLB vs Jadevion Clowney.

Yeah, I agree with you about #1 with a healthy Watt.  I just said top 5 to give myself some wiggle room.  I think only the Vikings, Rams (if they find some LBs), Eagles (if Bennett doesn't get suspended), and maybe the Jags would be able to challenge them for that top spot.

16 hours ago, texans_uk said:

That secondary is still lacking

With healthy pass rushers *knocks on wood* I think our secondary will be improved. I like our safety tandem with Hal, who has taken strides forward at safety and of course honeybadger.  I like our LB core now that it is younger and Cushing isn't on the team.  Our defense will definitely be intriguing to watch.

Top 10. They desperately need to add another corner or even a SS so they can put Mathieu in the slot in nickel situations. But they're a 5-Tech and another CB away from being right there with Jacksonville, Minnesota, and Philly on paper. (might be forgetting another good D)

I honestly believe it's a matter of when, not if, Watt gets hurt. He is just so damn injury prone and can't be relied on to play 16 games a season. It's a damn shame because he would be the GOAT if he didn't get hurt all the time. At some point too, past injuries are going to slow him down going forward. 

To answer your question, they will surely be a top 10 D again this season.

Archived