Rank Your Top 5 AFC Teams

game3525

We have a thread for the NFC, so how about the AFC?

1. Patriots-The gap between them and the pack is the smallest it has been in a couple years. But they still have Belichick and Brady and boatload of picks to revamp the defense.

2. Jaguars-Defense is still intact and I feel like they have upgraded their WR corps, which should help Bortles.

3. Steelers-Under the radar, but still have Ben, AB, and Bell. Granted defense fell off the map once Shazier went down.

4. Chiefs-Mainly here out of respect for Andy Reid (who seems to win 9-11 games every year regardless of the roster). Offense should be top 5, but defense is lacking in certain key areas.

5. Chargers-Talented team, but still have questions in the front 7 and kicking game. 

15 hours ago, game3525 said:

2. Jaguars-Defense is still intact and I feel like they have upgraded their WR corps, which should help Bortles.

Admittedly don't follow every FA move, but they lost Allen Robinson and cut Allen Hurns. Is it "addition by subtraction" in upgrading that WR unit? Or did they add someone and I completely missed it?

Legit curious. I know they added Austin Senferian Jenkins, and that's a big add...

1. Patriots-anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves. 

2. Steelers- yes we beat them but their offense might be best in the AFC and with some defensive adds in the draft they should very close

3. Jaguars- the defense is still strong despite losing Colvin and hopefully the offense can move the ball and stay healthy

4. Chargers- Rivers and the offense should have plenty of weapons to be in most games and when they are up, Bosa and Ingram will eat you alive

5.  Titans- Henry and Lewis make a lethal combo, their defense is strong and if Mariota is healthy he should improve

6. Texans- this is a dark horse move. I love their adds and if Watson and the key defensive pieces are healthy they can do some damage

Honorable Mention:

Ravens- Seemed like everyone was hurt on the Ravens last year and they are always there when healthy

Bengals- Where Dalton goes, so does the team. Green and co plus Mixon/Gio should make for a strong offense and the defense has some piece too

Chiefs- Mahomes is an unknown but the team around him is strong

Raiders- They took a big step back last year after seemingly on the way to contention. Hopefully Carr is ready to go but the defense needs work

4 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Admittedly don't follow every FA move, but they lost Allen Robinson and cut Allen Hurns. Is it "addition by subtraction" in upgrading that WR unit? Or did they add someone and I completely missed it?

Legit curious. I know they added Austin Senferian Jenkins, and that's a big add...

They signed Moncrief. I don't know if it's addition by subtraction, but they largely have a similar receiver corps to last year because neither Robinson or Hurns played all that much. So there was no net loss there by losing them compared to last year, they really just added Moncrief and ASJ (and should have Westbrook the entire year as I think he missed the first part of the season?). Their young receivers have also looked promising. You can do a lot worse than a receiving unit of Lee, Westbrook, Cole and Moncrief with ASJ as the starting tight end. 

18 hours ago, August4th said:

AFC feels like a giant wild card outside of NE, Pitt and maybe the jags

Even Pittsburgh and New England don't seem like they'll be as good as last year in my eyes. 

I think losing Haley will effect Pittsburgh more than they think, and New England has lost multiple significant players and their defense is still incredibly suspect.

Think they'd both be WC teams in the NFC.

Another thing I want to note. IMO the Titans are going to take a step back, they won a plethora of close games against bad opponents last year. A lot like the Cowboys in 2016 (except the Cowboys won 13 games total). They're a 7-9 team IMO

5 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Yeah, I should have been clearer. I mean't that I like the additions they have added to their entire pass-catching units (TE and WR). None of these guys are special, but just having a ton of capable guys should help their passing game. 

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Even Pittsburgh and New England don't seem like they'll be as good as last year in my eyes. 

I think losing Haley will effect Pittsburgh more than they think, and New England has lost multiple significant players and their defense is still incredibly suspect.

Think they'd both be WC teams in the NFC.

I was hesitant to say steelers and pats

will not be surprised if my steelers have a down yr and brady finally plays like his age.. but I'm giving them the benefit of a doubt because of recent consistency .. the only AFC teams that have that right now lol(would include Kc.. but mahomes is a question mark right now)

12 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I dont think we upgraded our WR group. Hoping Cole improves and Dede is healthy all offseason and takes the next step. Hoping Lee stays healthy too. Theres alot of question marks. I assume the RBs will be very involved as Yeldon and Grant were improving down the stretch. 

8 hours ago, Danger said:

Another thing I want to note. IMO the Titans are going to take a step back, they won a plethora of close games against bad opponents last year. A lot like the Cowboys in 2016 (except the Cowboys won 13 games total). They're a 7-9 team IMO

It's tough to peg the Titans. Certainly we could take a step back, but we also just played a ton of close games. It's not as though we won a disproportionate amount of them (6-4 in one-score games), we just played a lot of them. The hope, if you're trying to be optimistic, is that having an actual NFL caliber offensive mind running that unit (Matt LaFleur from the Rams) has the potential to turn some of those close games against bad teams into slightly more convincing wins.

It's really tough to understate just how terrible of an offensive coordinator Terry Robiskie was. I think the only way I can really describe it is that he was so bad that our GM fired our head coach after our first playoff win in 15 years rather than allow Robiskie to coach one more game with the franchise.

I have no idea though. Wouldn't be surprised if we took a step back and finished 7-9, but also wouldn't be surprised to see them step up and go 11-5 after Mariota and Corey Davis actually have a chance to work together and operate in an offense that has some chance of functioning. I don't know, when you're talking about an offense with a QB that's 24, a RB that's 23, No. 1 WR is 23 and bookend tackles that are 26 and 23, there's a lot of different ways it could play out.

1. New England Patriots - They're perennial Super Bowl contenders with an offensive unit spearheaded by Brady, Gronk, and the returning Julian Edelman. They're always a safe pre-season bet.

2. Pittsburgh Steelers - They have the most electric offense in the game but don't have a top defensive unit. 

3. Houston Texans - This ranking is very high but I believe in Deshaun Watson, especially with DeAndre Hopkins as a weapon at his disposal. That offense could be great if it comes even close to the levels they achieved in Watson's limited time. Oh, and there's a defense with J.J. Watt, Jadeveon Clowney, etc. 

4. Jacksonville Jaguars - Ranking Houston above them is kinda just a gut feeling because I don't personally know how well their offense will do. Fournette is a good RB but he won't be a game-breaker every Sunday, and the passing game isn't exactly the league's best, one would have to think. However, the defense in Jacksonville is scary.

5. Somebody out of Kansas City, Baltimore, Tennessee, or Los Angeles - I don't know which I'd pick. All have decent teams and their own flaws so I don't think they'll do, like, 13-3 well or anything. I'm still worried about K.C.'s young quarterback and secondary, Baltimore's skill players, etc. The Chargers have a pretty complete roster and should be good but they always seem to find a way to do the most unexpected things (lose to 1-15 Cleveland in '16-17, reel off a long winning streak at the end of the year, etc.).

1. Jaguars - They quietly had a very good offseason. Norwell was a very good signing and I like Moncrief. Bortles nearly led the Jags to the SB and the only real pieces they lost was ARob (who wasn’t there all season long in 2017) and Hurns but I do like Westbrooks. The Jags arrow continues to point even higher just like the Rams in the NFC.

2. Patriots - So they lost Amendola, Cooks, Solder, Flemming, Butler, and Lewis. Edelman is coming back from a serious injury and Gronk mind might not be in playing football but rather wrestling and Hollywood. That’s not good for the Pats. The only reason why I have them this high is because of Belichick, Brady, and I’m intrigued to see what they do with all those high picks they have. Plus their division isn’t the strongest so by default they will pick up a lot of wins playing in the AFCE.

3. Steelers - They have an explosive offense, even though I want to see how the lost of OC Haley will effect that side of the ball. On defense the lost of Shazier hurt them beyond measure but I look for them to possibly get a Evans or Vander Esche in the draft and if so their defense will be okay which is all they need with the weapons on offense they have.

4. Texans - This is strictly on Watson, Watt, and Mercilus coming back. What Watson did was amazing last year. Having him back makes the Texans as the serious threat to the Jags in the AFCS. Adding back Watts and Mercilus on the defense will put the Texans as contenders to go to the SB out of the AFC.

5. Chargers - I didn’t put the Chiefs up here because as much as I really like Mahomes, I haven’t seen him play a meaningful game. The Chargers have one of the most talented teams in football and Rivers should feel the sense of urgency to make a deep run towards the SB as his career is winding down. The Chargers could very well make it to the SB out of the AFC. They have to start winning those close games though and not always be on the short end of the stick. 

Archived