Rank Your Top 5 AFC Teams

game3525

On 4/12/2018 at 1:38 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is that asking alot? I mean y’all put up big points on us. A bunch of weapons still plus Juju and Bryant should be better than last year

Yes it is, our offense has been so inconsistent. Hopefully with Haley gone that should change.

Hmmm. Tough.

Gonna try and break down the AFC by ranking its teams by tiers.

I. Superbowl Contenders:

1. New England

2. LA Chargers

3. Jacksonville

4. Pittsburgh

*Chargers might be the only "questionable" team here to some. But I feel that this team has just been absolutely decimated by injuries for years and years, and that this could very well be a year where they at worst regress to the mean and stay just fairly healthy at worst. But their OL should be finally solid, their run game is in very good shape with Gordon and Austin as their 1-2, and their WR/TE group is talented as heck. Rivers is still capable of playing even better football than he ever has, as IMO his game has improved as he has matured in age. They have a potentially elite pass rush, talent at LB, and a good enough secondary. Even before the draft, I see a team with both star power and depth on both sides of the ball. Plus, the AFC is weak as hell. 

II. Playoff Teams MAYBE Capable of More 

5. Houston

6. Oakland

7. Tennessee

*Houston really, TBH, should be in a tier of its own above these two teams but right below the other 4. I really hope Watson will come back 100%, as an ACL isnt the career ruiner it once was a decade plus ago. I think that even with Watson at QB however, they are somewhat boom or bust in that they could win 10 games and a playoff game maybe, or they could make it all the way. Watson isnt going to play at the level he did last year. That kind of production is just not sustainable for an entire season. But he will be great, and their offense can be ELITE if their OL can somehow hold their own. I worry about their defense. Watt just is a big question mark at this point. Clowney is dangerous as a pass rusher, but hes inconsistent. I love McKinney. Mercilus is great if hes healthy. The front 7 could be very good but also injury ridden. And I love the Mathieu signing...but their secondary just has not achieved its potential. J Joseph is awesome , but he is not the same player he once was and theyre relying on him too much at corner. I love that offense with Watson and those WRs, and the run game that SHOULD feature D'onta Foreman as the #1 who I think will break out and Miller as the #2. But the OL!!  

On 4/12/2018 at 1:38 PM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is that asking alot? I mean y’all put up big points on us. A bunch of weapons still plus Juju and Bryant should be better than last year

That game was an anomaly. We'll see if our offense actually reaches its potential this year. We should not be any less than 3rd in PPG but Haley continually held us back.

On 4/10/2018 at 11:24 PM, lancerman said:

I'll throw a wild card out. I think the AFC South is very mobile. Yes the Jags had a great defense last year. Great defenses are fleeting and don't maintain nearly as strong year to year. They will still be lugging Bortles. Texans with Watson is interesting and dangerous imo. Titans with Vrabel as the coach and some great new pieces could also easily make a run. The AFC West was once thought to be the gem of the AFC... well Broncos have no QB and aren't good enough anymore to win without one, the Chargers are in the last gasps of the Rivers era, I'm not a fan of Gruden and the Raiders don't feel like they are going in the right direction, and the Chiefs are whatever. 

1. Patriots

2. Texans

3. Steelers

4. Jaguars

5. Titans

Way late to this thread.

As far as "lugging Bortles around" goes, I get that he isn't an upper echelon QB but he didn't exactly have a great supporting cast. We used him as a game manager and you need better options for a game manager than Marcedes Lewis, Keelan Cole (I like this guy, but he was a UDFA), Dede who missed over half the season, and a hobbled Allen Hurns. Not to mention our running game fell off a cliff as far as YPC goes after Fournette got hurt around week 7-8.

He had his ups and downs, but he had some pretty damn good games down the stretch as well (especially PIT/NE/SEA games). He won't will us to a championship barring improvements, but you can definitely win with Blake. We were extremely close to getting past Brady and the Pats and being in the big game last year.

1) Patriots: They deserve to be here always until another team is able to dethrone them.

2) Steelers: As long as Ben is still able to play at a high level, I have to put them at #2

3) Chargers: People might disagree with this, but I think that the difference between Rivers and Bortles is too great for me to put Jacksonville ahead. The Chargers defense also looks to be among the league's best next year as well. 

4) Jaguars: Still an amazing defense and running game.

5) Titans: Even though they underperformed in 2017, I like their roster a lot. 

Honorable mentions: Chiefs, Texans, Ravens

On 4/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, lancerman said:

I'll throw a wild card out. I think the AFC South is very mobile. Yes the Jags had a great defense last year. Great defenses are fleeting and don't maintain nearly as strong year to year. They will still be lugging Bortles. Texans with Watson is interesting and dangerous imo. Titans with Vrabel as the coach and some great new pieces could also easily make a run. The AFC West was once thought to be the gem of the AFC... well Broncos have no QB and aren't good enough anymore to win without one, the Chargers are in the last gasps of the Rivers era, I'm not a fan of Gruden and the Raiders don't feel like they are going in the right direction, and the Chiefs are whatever. 

1. Patriots

2. Texans

3. Steelers

4. Jaguars

5. Titans

Little late to respond to this but I'm not sure what justification you have for the Chargers being on the last gasp of the Rivers era. Rivers (Unlike Ben, for example) has had a fairly healthy career overall and has showed no signs of decline yet. Given the track record of older QB's like Brady and Brees still playing at a high level, it's not at all a stretch to think that Rivers has another 3-4 years left in him. Rivers also went on record himself recently and said he plans to be playing when the new LA stadium opens in 2020.

If you still want to keep the Chargers out of the top 5 for whatever other reason that's fine, but I don't think it's fair to say Rivers is on his last legs. I expect that he will be the last QB playing of the three 2004 QB's. Ben's career has been riddled with injury and Eli just has been bad the last 2 seasons.

NE: returning Brady, Gronk, Hightower, Edelman and strengthened the OL. We have averaged 13 wins per season for the last 10 years, so it's a safe pick

JAX: Argh, that defense....

PIT: Argh, that offense....

LAC: I'm going for it. If they remain healthy, they have one of the best secondaries, a top 10 QB, A nasty DL. Just too much talent to keep failing

HOU: Rooting for Watt and Wat. Apart from week 1, of course. They've been close for a while now.

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

NE: returning Brady, Gronk, Hightower, Edelman and strengthened the OL. We have averaged 13 wins per season for the last 10 years, so it's a safe pick

JAX: Argh, that defense....

PIT: Argh, that offense....

LAC: I'm going for it. If they remain healthy, they have one of the best secondaries, a top 10 QB, A nasty DL. Just too much talent to keep failing

HOU: Rooting for Watt and Wat. Apart from week 1, of course. They've been close for a while now.

I think the biggest difference with the Chargers is going to be mentality. Lynn has done a terrific job of cultivating a group of guys that have fun playing the game, and desperately want to win games (and that was even further fortified in the draft/UDFA's, with guys like Derwin, White and even UDFA Tony Brown, who I absolutely LOVE to have on this team).

Pats, Chargers. Steelers. Broncos, Ravens.

Jags: Bortles is back, will the offense stay afloat? Fournette is not a rookie anymore and teams will be prepared from week 1. No Allen Robinson or Allen Hurns. New receivers, new tight end, new backup backs. Improved guard but is time needed to gel? Will the defense take a step back from the loss of Aaron Colvin and Paul Pozlusny? Will Dante Fowler's option not being picked up affect his final year on the team? There's a lot of talent on defense but rookies Ronnie Harrison and Taven Bryan are still developing. I think the AFC South is going to be very competitive this year unlike 2017, and they could miss the playoffs despite being one of the more talented rosters in the entire NFL.

Titans: I think they're a year away. New head coach with limited experience. Improved defense with Maclolm Butler addition. NFL ready rookies Rashaan Evans and Harold Landry help the defense in situational rush roles. The offense got better with an emphesis on Derrick Henry and Dion Lewis replacing DeMarco Murray. I still think they'll fall short. Missing Jack Conklin for any length of time during his ACL rehab hurts. I think Marcus Mariota will continue to improve but I don't know if it will be enough with a tough Jags team, mending Texans, and much better Colts.

Chiefs: Loss of Derrick Johnson, Tamba Hali, Marcus Peters, Alex Smith, Albert Wilson and rehab of Eric Berry in addition to having an inconsistent Sammy Watkins on offense with rookies expected to fill important roles make me think the Chiefs are a year away from competing in the playoffs again. The AFC West looks strong in 2018 so I think the Chiefs will struggle to make it much passed .500.

Bills: I expect a close competition between Josh Allen and AJ McCarron. Ultimately I think McCarron will carry the torch a couple of weeks and before midseason Allen will come in. Overall I like the offense better but its going to be a work in progress still. Defensively they lost EJ Gaines and have a very young linebacker first round pick stepping in. Could be a surprise wild card contender but I think they'll fall into the mix of teams that are really close but dont make it.

The AFC as a whole looks more competitive from the bottom up.

6 hours ago, Duffman57 said:

I think the biggest difference with the Chargers is going to be mentality. Lynn has done a terrific job of cultivating a group of guys that have fun playing the game, and desperately want to win games (and that was even further fortified in the draft/UDFA's, with guys like Derwin, White and even UDFA Tony Brown, who I absolutely LOVE to have on this team).

Yup.

They had some growing pains early as they got used to a new HC. But the mentality of the team really changed in the second half of the year. They were playing loose and with confidence and that is something I haven't seen from a Chargers team since 2007. 

I've said this elsewhere, so why not here:

1.  Chargers - different HC, different mindset...hopefully different PK (lol).    And they only get better with Forrest Lamp upgrading that OL, and a secondary that gets to add Derwin James to their elite CB trio.    Plus, the AFCW is in transition.    They are the clear top dog there, and that matters, because seeding matters (although that home stadium lack of advantage is probably the biggest equalizer).   I'll also stand on that line again and predict Hunter Henry, as long as he stays healthy, delivers on getting more targets & snaps with Gates out of the way.  Vegas has them at 33-1 SB odds, and while they're not even close to the favorite, can't resist those odds, so I've got my own $ on the line on this one (same with other NFC teams lol, the odds were too good for them too).   The one negative - not much playoff experience.   That matters a ton.  

2.  Jaguars - not #1 because of Bortles.  But they have the rest, and their D just got that much better.    I will say they probably play in the toughest division now (only the Colts are truly bad),  which does concern me.    But going to the AFCG matters, too.   

3.   Patriots - they upgraded their O, and they will dominate the AFCE if BUF doesn't have a good QB showing early on (Rosen, dudes, Rosen...oh well).   But, their D is also highly suspect - and JAX/LAC match up incredibly well vs. them (PIT, not so much).   

4.   Steelers - wish their draft was stronger, they helped themselves in the long run on O with Washington/Okarofar/Samuels, and Rudolph's their 2020 guy, but man, their secondary, Shazier replacement and more pass-rush would have helped them face the top AFC teams more...and no help on that front.    Automatic lock IMO to make the playoffs barring injury, but also likely to be out by the AFC Divisional game.

5.   Titans - didn't know who was going to be #5 - but man, I loved their draft.    Harold Landry was a steal.   Evans was a solid if somewhat safe pick, but the combo effect of Landry/Evans, and adding Dion Lewis gives the Titans a legit 1-2 punch with Derrick Henry instead of Demarco Murray's 2017 corpse, while I am confident that Malcolm Butler will play every game he's healthy for (lol) and upgrade that secondary.      Still don't see them pushing quite to the top, but they've now elevated to the top 5 in the AFC, and if Mariota progresses his year (which I like his chances with Mularkey gone), love their chances to stay in this top 5 for the next 3 years.

@Broncofan I see through your scheme. Selling your team short in hopes of not jinxing them. Clever my friend, but not this time. Your team is competing this year and making it as a wildcard. Top 5 AFC team.

Titans might be close bur I think the experience on the Ravens defense makes them slightly better. Offensively Titans may have a slight edge but its very close. Jaguars right in that mix. Bills, Chiefs, Raiders, Texans next four.

Competitive teams hovering near .500 after those the aforementioned teams are Browns, Dolphins, Colts. Left in the AFC are Jets and Bengals.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

@Broncofan I see through your scheme. Selling your team short in hopes of not jinxing them. Clever my friend, but not this time. Your team is competing this year and making it as a wildcard. Top 5 AFC team.

Titans might be close bur I think the experience on the Ravens defense makes them slightly better. Offensively Titans may have a slight edge but its very close. Jaguars right in that mix. Bills, Chiefs, Raiders, Texans next four.

Competitive teams hovering near .500 after those the aforementioned teams are Browns, Dolphins, Colts. Left in the AFC are Jets and Bengals.

If I'm doing that, it's the long game lol.  I've been down on my squad's chances since 2016 end of season.    I will say this 2018 draft, for the first time, has us in the right direction (even if I would have rather gone Rosen 1.5, but man I love going Chubb if we didn't, glad we passed on Allen - and we missed a huge opp to get Rd 5 massive return by standing pat - but still a great draft overall, complete 180 from our draft history the last several years, since Elway started drafting for need early, and going for insane-tool-low-actual-football-skill guys and whiffing hard Day 2).  But drafts, unless it's a once-in-a-decade NO 2017 draft (and it's not for us), they don't have a huge year 1 impact.   Year 2+, on the other hand, fair game. 

I mean it when I say 8-8 would be a surprise - and frankly, a bad one.   I want us to contend for the playoffs and be a legit team.  But if not, I'd rather be 6-10 or worse (I do have some pride, no 0-16 ever lol) and get a high pick, to keep rebuilding the roster.   We really addressed D in a big way (and we needed to with our vets leaving and becoming too expensive to keep), and we got a couple of pieces who could help on O eventually - but man, we need another B+/A level draft for at least 1 more year, if not 2, to get us back into our 2013-15 contention tier.   And yeah, a real QB (Keenum is just a placeholder IMO, nothing more).

Archived