DAL signs DE Kony Ealy to a 1-year deal

Broncofan

3 thoughts:

1.  Low-cost move for DAL, they're already strong there at DE, but can never have enough depth (especially with injury/suspension risk).

2.  Remember that deal last year when NE moved down 6 spots to get Ealy?   That literally cost them nothing - but turns out it wasn't the steal of the year, just a free shot that missed.

3.  SB50 is what made everyone think Ealy was on the verge of a breakout - man, that shows how bad DEN's RT situation was (and didn't get any better in 2017).    We made him look like a future star in the making.

Still, given the 1-year deal and time of year no doubt it's a low-risk move for DAL.

The great Kony Ealy.  I remember when the Patriots robbed him from the Panthers.

In all seriousness, the potential is there, but he needs to work on his discipline and technique.  I think he could still develop into a solid run defender and he's only 26.  And if there is any coach that can find a way to get the most out of him, it is Marinelli.

15 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

The great Kony Ealy.  I remember when the Patriots robbed him from the Panthers.

In all seriousness, the potential is there, but he needs to work on his discipline and technique.  I think he could still develop into a solid run defender and he's only 26.  And if there is any coach that can find a way to get the most out of him, it is Marinelli.

To be fair, we made him look like the next Clowney in SB50.   Dude was a royal pain in our *** that day.   Peyton Manning might have caught something from Ealy that day after so much intimate contact.  

Turns out, our RT play was just that bad as a big part of Ealy's day.   Adrian Clayborn before there was an Adrian Clayborn. 

55 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

This is the optimist in me. The pessimist or realist in me thinks this is a bad signing.

Given the timing it’s probably barely over the vet minimum.   Unless there is more to it in guaranteed $ it’s hard to see a downside.   Unlike many vet retreads he actually flashed.   Maybe he won’t be anything but so many guys with zero ceiling get re-signed I’d always rather take a shot on a guy with even a little upside.  

Archived