New England signs WR Jordan Matthews

Broncofan

7 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Decent signing.    Nothing special, but Brady doesnt need amazing weapons.   He gets the most out of every one he plays with.

I still think the Pats end up making a move for a WR at some point.    I doubt it will be OBJ as some believe, but I could definitely see them trading for someone.

Still shocked they didnt sign Jordy Nelson.     Thought that was a natural fit for both sides.

Nelson though brings what Matthews, and if he's not 100 percent from his ACL (at his age, being 100 percent isn't a given), Edelman bring to the table - guys who excel in the slot.   Nelson's outside WR skills were mostly a function of shared hive-mind with A-Rod than being able to separate from defenders after his ACL recovery in 2016.    Jordy's still really good in the slot on his own, but outside WR play was very much a function of being thrown open, or freelancing with ARod's shared consciousness.   It's hard to see him replicate that so quickly. 

Now, going Matthews with Edelman is just cheaper, but creates the same theoretical concern of having 2 guys who excel best in the slot.  I agree they likely go get an outside WR, whether it's Day 2, or some other value trade/bargain bin FA shopping.   Either way, though, as long as 1 of Edelman/Matthews are healthy, they can use a really effective slot guy, and can find ways to get both on the field (Gronk out wide with Hogan?) on 4-wide formations.   It's not like BB isn't creative at using his personnel to leverage their skill set.

17 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

God, I hope so. 

Both are behind a healthy Mitchell, we’ll see how Mathews fits in overall. Dorsett probably with the inside track over Britt given his skill set (Britt now has a physical counterpart in Mathews) and the cost it took to get him, but that’s a toss up.

It’s not a given that 2 of the 3 mentioned above are on the final 53, IYAM. 

I assume Matthews, Mitchell and Dorsett stay and Britt is cut.

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I assume Matthews, Mitchell and Dorsett stay and Britt is cut.

With Edelman, Hogan, Slater, Mitchell, and Patterson, I can’t imagine both Dorsett and Mathews making the roster.

3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

With Edelman, Hogan, Slater, Mitchell, and Patterson, I can’t imagine both Dorsett and Mathews making the roster.

I totally forgot about the Patterson pick up. Doubt Dorsett makes it either then. 

Edelman
Hogan
Mitchell
Matthews 
Patterson 
Slater 

3 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

If he's anything like LaFell, he should be cut by the end of the business day..

2017 LaFell? Yes. 2014 LaFell? The Pats (and most teams) could use a player like that. 

Wasnt special, but he was a tough possession receiver with good YAC ability. He was actually really, really solid that year. If Matthews could be that (but a better athlete IMO), I’d take that in a heartbeat.

Archived