Rd1- Minka Fitzpatrick DB Bama

Rd2- DaRon Payne NT Bama

Rd4-  Harrison Phillips DE Stanford

Rd5- Uchenna Nwosu OLB USC

Rd5- Oren Burks ILB Vanderbuilt

Rd6- Justin Jackson RB Northwestern

Rd7- Micah Kiser LB Virginia

Rd7-  Colby Gossett OG Appalachian State

If we could get Payne in round 2 I’d be so happy. Also, I don’t see Phillips falling to round 4, I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t go in round 2 or early round 3. He’s also a NT and is very similar to Payne, I doubt we’d draft both guys. I think it’d be one or the other.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If we could get Payne in round 2 I’d be so happy. Also, I don’t see Phillips falling to round 4, I’ll be shocked if he doesn’t go in round 2 or early round 3. He’s also a NT and is very similar to Payne, I doubt we’d draft both guys. I think it’d be one or the other.

I’d be surprised if they both were there but I really focused on making the front 7 tougher and I just took into account the fact there will be a run on RB’s and sometimes DL fall and I just thought adding them two after taking Fitz really gives us a boost to our DL rotation

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Payne can play 3-4 DE/5-tech or NT in a 3-4 because of his combination of length, size and athleticism. In a 4-3 he plays NT so, yes, he does have a defined position in the 4-3 defense just like guys like Michael Brockers do. Payne is clearly scheme diverse, as are most DL.

He’s really not that “scheme diverse”. Guys like Aaron Donald that can rush the passer in a 4-3 or can switch to 3-4 end and still continue to have the ability to do so are scheme diverse. Payne is a run plugger so he doesn’t fit as a 4-3 DT. His best position in the NFL is in the middle of a 3-4 defense. He’d be mediocre in a 4-3 and again, you don’t spend a top 20 pick on mediocre. This is why I think he falls. 

5 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He’s really not that “scheme diverse”. Guys like Aaron Donald that can rush the passer in a 4-3 or can switch to 3-4 end and still continue to have the ability to do so are scheme diverse. Payne is a run plugger so he doesn’t fit as a 4-3 DT. His best position in the NFL is in the middle of a 3-4 defense. He’d be mediocre in a 4-3 and again, you don’t spend a top 20 pick on mediocre. This is why I think he falls. 

Lavar, teams use NTs in both the 4-3 and 3-4. All defensive schemes need a run plugger. Both 3-4 and 4-3 defenses have run pluggers in the middle and a player or two next to them who are more interior pass rushers. That’s why I gave the example of Michael Brockers - who is 6’5, 302 pounds - and the Rams drafted to be their NT in the 4-3 with the 14th pick of the 2012 Draft. Last year when they hired Wade Phillips and switched to the 3-4, Brockers split time between NT and 5-technique in their 3-4 scheme. Brockers is primarily a run stuffer and a great one and has been that in both schemes. So, I just don’t understand how you can come to the conclusion you’re coming to here. 

Lastly, if a player is an elite run stuffer, he’ll never be mediocre. You can’t be elite at something and be a mediocre player. Payne may be a mediocre pass rusher, but because he’s an elite run defender - which our D needs the most on the DL -  that will make him at worst a good player, if not better than good.

Round 1. Maurice Hurst

Round 2. Kerryon Johnson

Round 4. Josh Sweat DE Florida State

Round 5. Bradley Bozeman C. Alabama 

Round 5. Kendrick Norton NT. Miami

Round 6.  Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis

Round 7. Jamil Demby, G, Maine

Round 7. Dylan Cantrell, WR Texas Tech

Might not be pretty but it's what I came up with. I think it gives us 4 starters and Sweat could play OLB and develop for insurance for Preston Smith. Hurst would be BPA, not sure of the fit for us but man, he's good

8 minutes ago, Eric said:

Round 1. Maurice Hurst

Round 2. Kerryon Johnson

Round 4. Josh Sweat DE Florida State

Round 5. Bradley Bozeman C. Alabama 

Round 5. Kendrick Norton NT. Miami

Round 6.  Riley Ferguson, QB, Memphis

Round 7. Jamil Demby, G, Maine

Round 7. Dylan Cantrell, WR Texas Tech

Might not be pretty but it's what I came up with. I think it gives us 4 starters and Sweat could play OLB and develop for insurance for Preston Smith. Hurst would be BPA, not sure of the fit for us but man, he's good

Hurst definitely fits, he’d be the Aaron Donald for our defense. The only issue I have with Hurst is that he and Jonathan Allen play the same position. I don’t think you can use both on the field at the same time except on 3rd and long because both are interior players who are under 290 pounds.

I do love Hurst though, and love the draft. I certainly wouldn’t hate drafting him, I’d just be worried about our run defense even more if we had two starting interior defenders that were both under 290 pounds. Of course on the flip side our interior pass rush would be out of this world with Allen, Hurst, Ioannidis and Lanier rotating in on our nickel defense.

On 4/5/2018 at 11:09 PM, LoganF89 said:

1) Derrius Guice RB LSU

2) Billy Price OG Ohio St.

4)Duke Dawson CB Florida

5)Lowell Lotulelei NT Utah

5)Antonio Callaway WR Florida

6)Kentavius Street DT/DE NCst

7) Dee Delaney CB Miami

7) KC Mcdermott OT Miami

1. Da'Ron Payne, NT, Alabama

2. Sony Michel, RB, Georgia

4. Brendan Mahon, G, Penn State