Dorsey's Hero/Villain Mock

Bernie's Curls

As many of us know, it's silly season, and the QB rumors are flying. Josh Allen seems to have moved into the guest-house of Kiper Jr., Darnold is playing the Patron Saint of Potential in Wet Weather, Rosen is wearing creepy mustaches on occasion, and Mayfield is "hee-hee'ing" into a bottle of alcohol on his nationwide schmooze-cruise. But best of all, Dorsey isn't talking. Oh sure, he's trotting out the required vague responses to media, but he's not saying who's the #1 QB on his board. Sure, there's a chance the brain-trust is still mulling it over and see if anything shakes out in the final weeks, people get hurt in private workouts all the time. But, the rumors are also circling around the NY Giants having their definitive desire in drafting Sam Darnold, so the QB obfuscation might be enough.

GM David Gettleman has been putting his personal stamp on his new organization from the get-go, notably the trade of JPP, acquiring LB Alec Ogletree and LT Nate Solder, courting C John Sullivan, and signing a slew of DB's. I'm also assuming that he doesn't want to start his tenure in a member-measuring contest with an outspoken, high-profile WR demanding a new contract, while simultaneously dealing with the optics of Beckham's off-season escapades. Making a statement with Odell, landing his personally picked QBOTF, and picking up a premium pick in one swoop; that's something I can see happening.

**Giants trade their #2 Pick and OBJ for Browns' #1 Pick, Corey Coleman, and #35**

#1 NYG - QB Sam Darnold

#2 CLE - QB Baker Mayfield - Scot McCloughan was hired for more than a hot take, he seems deeply involved in the selection process and has stated openly while running his scouting firm that Mayfield was the one QB he'd believe in, and I don't think his opinion was changed much since walking into the Browns' organization. On a matter of faith, I want toDorsey wouldn't have hired McCloughan and involved him as much as he has without trusting Scot to suss out his job-dependent franchise QB. I have Darnold and Mayfield as 1a and 1b in my mind, and although the retirement of Joe Thomas scares me for Mayfield, we may still have a full year to address that need or see how our guys develop.

#3 NYJ - QB Josh Rosen

**Bills trade their #12 Pick, #22 Pick, and 2019 2nd Rounder for Browns' #4 Pick**

#4 BUF - QB Josh Allen

#5 DEN - CB Denzel Ward

#6 IND - DE Bradley Chubb

#7 TB - DB Minkah Fitzpatrick

#8 CHI - OG Quentin Nelson

#9 SF - RB Saquon Barkley

#10 OAK - LB Tremaine Edmunds

#11 MIA - DT Vita Vea

#12 CLE - DE Marcus Davenport - Feels like an unfinished muscle car. You can see elite closing speed, transferable punch power, and superb hip flexibility to carry out a variety of pass rush moves. It's just not there yet. Needs NFL-level coaching and NFL-level training, yet you can already discern flashes of what he can become. I believe highly in old Giants philosophy, "The more pass-rushers you have, the more relentless it can be."

#22 CLE - RB Derrius Guice - Bring the Beast Mode 2.0! Love his violence and burst, like a man running with his hair on fire. "Fournette Lite" is an elite talent in his own right and I expect Hyde to be regulated to spell duties almost immediately.

#33 CLE - CB Isaiah Oliver - Check out Brett Kollman's breakdown of him on YouTube, it got me pumped about all the little things he does in coverage. Although I had to admit, other scouts are probably saying the same thing and he may not be here at this pick if the hype increases.

#64 CLE - OT Orlando Brown - No, he's not ready yet. But if you want to see the size of the chip on his shoulder, I'd bet money in 2019 that he'll be swinging it on every other team's DL that didn't believe in him. I want this man-mountain on my line...now get him a green tea, baked chicken, and an NFL Strength and Conditioning Program. Stat!

#114 CLE - S Godwin Iqwebuike - Insurance on the transition Damarious Randall and a solid player in his own right. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvRdpXNufSo

#150 CLE - DT Justin Jones - The little known secret of Bradley Chubb...how good the DT's at NC State were. Between Jones and BJ Hill, teams would have to pick their poison. All their DL at the Senior Bowl tore it up.

#175 CLE - C/OG Will Clapp - Versatile interior piece to groom and eventually give a look at overtaking Tretter.

#205 CLE - WR Darren Carrington - Shot in the dark at a talented player with high-upside and a slightly troubled history.

IF, and this is a big if, but IF the Browns do execute these trades, I LOVE the Guice pick. Though I'm on the Darnold train, I like Mayfield a lot. Oliver could end up being a franchise corner, and I do like the Brown pick. The combine showing left a lot of questions unanswered for me, but if he plays like he did in Oklahoma, that's a solid NFL OT right there.

I wanna go back to Davenport, because, even though many big boards have Landry listed behind him, I would put my reputation on the line to say that Landry will be the better pro than Davenport, and it's not even out of the realm of possibility that he could be the best pass rusher in this entire draft class (Didn't think this discussion was worthy of a thread, so I'm going to let it out here, hope that's okay).

You look at sheer skillset, Landry's got the edge (no pun intended...okay maybe it was kinda intended). I love Landry's flexibility. He's got this bend move, some kinda dip that is going to burn OT's left and right. Chubb is more of a technique guy, he's gonna get the job done and wear linemen down, but Landry's got the potential to be ELITE.

There, I said it...I don't think Chubb will be elite. His ceiling is only slightly higher than Ogbah...but Landry...man, you give him some time with Greggggg Williams, he's gonna be straight up DOMINANT alongside Garrett and Ogbah. For this reason, I've sorta been feeling the trade down to take Landry over Chubb.

Going back to Davenport, when it's all said and done, this dude's potential starts to flourish, and he'll be serviceable. But Landry, if he truly flourishes, well gentlemen...we have a potential hall of famer on our hands.

46 minutes ago, Bernie's Curls said:

As many of us know, it's silly season, and the QB rumors are flying. Josh Allen seems to have moved into the guest-house of Kiper Jr., Darnold is playing the Patron Saint of Potential in Wet Weather, Rosen is wearing creepy mustaches on occasion, and Mayfield is "hee-hee'ing" into a bottle of alcohol on his nationwide schmooze-cruise. But best of all, Dorsey isn't talking. Oh sure, he's trotting out the required vague responses to media, but he's not saying who's the #1 QB on his board. Sure, there's a chance the brain-trust is still mulling it over and see if anything shakes out in the final weeks, people get hurt in private workouts all the time. But, the rumors are also circling around the NY Giants having their definitive desire in drafting Sam Darnold, so the QB obfuscation might be enough.

GM David Gettleman has been putting his personal stamp on his new organization from the get-go, notably the trade of JPP, acquiring LB Alec Ogletree and LT Nate Solder, courting C John Sullivan, and signing a slew of DB's. I'm also assuming that he doesn't want to start his tenure in a member-measuring contest with an outspoken, high-profile WR demanding a new contract, while simultaneously dealing with the optics of Beckham's off-season escapades. Making a statement with Odell, landing his personally picked QBOTF, and picking up a premium pick in one swoop; that's something I can see happening.

**Giants trade their #2 Pick and OBJ for Browns' #1 Pick, Corey Coleman, and #35**

#1 NYG - QB Sam Darnold

#2 CLE - QB Baker Mayfield - Scot McCloughan was hired for more than a hot take, he seems deeply involved in the selection process and has stated openly while running his scouting firm that Mayfield was the one QB he'd believe in, and I don't think his opinion was changed much since walking into the Browns' organization. On a matter of faith, I want toDorsey wouldn't have hired McCloughan and involved him as much as he has without trusting Scot to suss out his job-dependent franchise QB. I have Darnold and Mayfield as 1a and 1b in my mind, and although the retirement of Joe Thomas scares me for Mayfield, we may still have a full year to address that need or see how our guys develop.

#3 NYJ - QB Josh Rosen

**Bills trade their #12 Pick, #22 Pick, and 2019 2nd Rounder for Browns' #4 Pick**

#4 BUF - QB Josh Allen

#5 DEN - CB Denzel Ward

#6 IND - DE Bradley Chubb

#7 TB - DB Minkah Fitzpatrick

#8 CHI - OG Quentin Nelson

#9 SF - RB Saquon Barkley

#10 OAK - LB Tremaine Edmunds

#11 MIA - DT Vita Vea

#12 CLE - DE Marcus Davenport - Feels like an unfinished muscle car. You can see elite closing speed, transferable punch power, and superb hip flexibility to carry out a variety of pass rush moves. It's just not there yet. Needs NFL-level coaching and NFL-level training, yet you can already discern flashes of what he can become. I believe highly in old Giants philosophy, "The more pass-rushers you have, the more relentless it can be."

#22 CLE - RB Derrius Guice - Bring the Beast Mode 2.0! Love his violence and burst, like a man running with his hair on fire. "Fournette Lite" is an elite talent in his own right and I expect Hyde to be regulated to spell duties almost immediately.

#33 CLE - CB Isaiah Oliver - Check out Brett Kollman's breakdown of him on YouTube, it got me pumped about all the little things he does in coverage. Although I had to admit, other scouts are probably saying the same thing and he may not be here at this pick if the hype increases.

#64 CLE - OT Orlando Brown - No, he's not ready yet. But if you want to see the size of the chip on his shoulder, I'd bet money in 2019 that he'll be swinging it on every other team's DL that didn't believe in him. I want this man-mountain on my line...now get him a green tea, baked chicken, and an NFL Strength and Conditioning Program. Stat!

#114 CLE - S Godwin Iqwebuike - Insurance on the transition Damarious Randall and a solid player in his own right. - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvRdpXNufSo

#150 CLE - DT Justin Jones - The little known secret of Bradley Chubb...how good the DT's at NC State were. Between Jones and BJ Hill, teams would have to pick their poison. All their DL at the Senior Bowl tore it up.

#175 CLE - C/OG Will Clapp - Versatile interior piece to groom and eventually give a look at overtaking Tretter.

#205 CLE - WR Darren Carrington - Shot in the dark at a talented player with high-upside and a slightly troubled history.

I dig allot of what you got going here. Guice is a good get, although I'd put allot of this year's mileage on Hyde's tires since this year is not the year we're truly competing for anything. Save some of Guice for year 2 and 3 when hopefully we're talking playoffs. 

Davenporthas tons of potential. Landry as a run defender in our system is a question, but he has good pass rush ability.

The Justin Jones pick is one I'd like to address. Kentavius Street is the other NC State dlineman I'm interested in. He played end but is big and built better as a 3tech. As an interior pass rusher he killed at the East West shrine game and practices. He tore an ACL yesterday at a NY Giants visit, workout. So he'll be available late or undrafted. 

38 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I wanna go back to Davenport, because, even though many big boards have Landry listed behind him, I would put my reputation on the line to say that Landry will be the better pro than Davenport, and it's not even out of the realm of possibility that he could be the best pass rusher in this entire draft class (Didn't think this discussion was worthy of a thread, so I'm going to let it out here, hope that's okay).

You look at sheer skillset, Landry's got the edge (no pun intended...okay maybe it was kinda intended). I love Landry's flexibility. He's got this bend move, some kinda dip that is going to burn OT's left and right. Chubb is more of a technique guy, he's gonna get the job done and wear linemen down, but Landry's got the potential to be ELITE.

There, I said it...I don't think Chubb will be elite. His ceiling is only slightly higher than Ogbah...but Landry...man, you give him some time with Greggggg Williams, he's gonna be straight up DOMINANT alongside Garrett and Ogbah. For this reason, I've sorta been feeling the trade down to take Landry over Chubb.

Going back to Davenport, when it's all said and done, this dude's potential starts to flourish, and he'll be serviceable. But Landry, if he truly flourishes, well gentlemen...we have a potential hall of famer on our hands.

I think you may be right in the short term, as I believe Landry has the experience, coaching, and polish that exceeds Davenport at this point, especially rushing the passer. However, the natural gifts that Davenport brings to the table and his garbage technique that showed quick improvement after just one week of Senior Bowl practices with superior coaching gives me a tingly sensation in my...football pleasure centers.

Maybe I'm a size-queen, but I like DE's to have length as it affords ease of other defensive functions; swatting down passes, reaching/hurrying the QB, and locking out long-limbed OTs.

36 minutes ago, buno67 said:

So the browns settle for the #2 QB and #2/#3 DE in the first. No thank you!

It really depends on which scouting metrics you subscribe to; heck, I'm a Darnold guy but I have Mayfield right behind him, so close that it's almost negligible. As for Davenport, I was down on him initially, then I started seeing a few plays where it was all put together and I got JPP-vision. Chubb, Davenport, and Landry could all be great, or all bust, none are foolproof. I think Chubb has the highest floor, inversely Marcus has the lowest floor.

I might be taking some risks, but I'd argue they are slight risks, especially with time to work them in a lineup.

I'd be cool with the Giants trade back, since I have a feeling Mayfield can be just as good of an NFL QB as Darnold. I don't like the trade back from #4 with the Bills, taking us out of all of the top shelf options - would much rather grab Chubb or Barkley there, or if we trade down, do so only a couple slots so we can still get womeone like Ward, Minkah, or Edmunds.

I would take Landry over Davenport all day every day. And I don't love the Brown pick, but I get the rationale. I would rather take an interior DL or another OT. Other than that, I am in.

6 hours ago, buno67 said:

So the browns settle for the #2 QB and #2/#3 DE in the first. No thank you!

Mayfield is by far the best QB out of the box of this years draft, and the only one with a higher ceiling overall is Allen.  Settle down chicken little, the sky is not falling just yet :-)

5 hours ago, dawgdish said:

I'd be cool with the Giants trade back, since I have a feeling Mayfield can be far superior as an NFL QB than Darnold. I don't like the trade back from #4 with the Bills, taking us out of all of the top shelf options - would much rather grab Chubb or Barkley there, or if we trade down, do so only a couple slots so we can still get womeone like Ward, Minkah, or Edmunds.

FIFY look guys, I did it I did it!   :-D

59 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I would take Landry over Davenport all day every day. And I don't love the Brown pick, but I get the rationale. I would rather take an interior DL or another OT. Other than that, I am in.

Brown is going to be a beast in the NFL, and he would be an absolute steal at 64.  He will never make it there.  Sure he flubbed up the combine, but he has put it on tape.  Not sure what led to the combine issues, but he is a player and would be a great replacement for Thomas.

I love this mock. I'm a Mayfield guy and was going to basically do a carbon copy of this draft. I agree with @DizzyDean that Orlando Brown will be fine in the NFL; however, I disagree that he could make it to 64. I believe he will make it there. I like Landry better than Davenport as well though admit I feel totally unsure about all the defensive ends this year so take with grain of salt. Carrington is a good flyer late. I don't know about Godwin, though, as I don't think he'll play much. I'd rather have a DT or maybe even a linebacker there. It's all whatever at that point, though, of course. 

Last point is that I don't wanna trade Corey Coleman for nothing as a throw-in. If it's a deal breaker otherwise, then I understand. But I don't get the fire sale mentality that is flying around about him right now everywhere. We don't need to get rid of him. There's my $0.02 on that. Great job and you saved me some time.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

Mayfield is by far the best QB out of the box of this years draft, and the only one with a higher ceiling overall is Allen.  Settle down chicken little, the sky is not falling just yet :-)

IMO out of the top QBs, Baker has the lowest ceiling.

Archived