Dolphins Sign Jay Cutler

CWood21

2 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

That doesn't looking like a career year to you?

I am really not being clear with my meaning. Sure, he did have a good year for him, but it was still in the bottom half of the league as a passer. People are talking about him and Gase as if they are going to be a match made in heaven and Cutler is going to be a top 15 player. The evidence isnt really there, and the fact that he had a career year while still ranking 19th statistically in the league supports my argument. 

9 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Sure, he did have a good year for him, but it was still in the bottom half of the league as a passer. People are talking about him and Gase as if they are going to be a match made in heaven and Cutler is going to be a top 15 player. The evidence isnt really there, and the fact that he had a career year while still ranking 19th statistically in the league supports my argument. 

Nobody is saying that, having gone through the thread. Even if they had, he was 16th in 2015 in passer-rating so that projection wouldn't be a stretch. The 2017 Dolphins have better weapons and a better OL than the 2015 Bears, I don't think an argument could be made otherwise.

Your argument in this thread has been that his 2015 season was not a resurgent year despite it being a career year, which exactly fits the definition of a resurgency. Where other QBs ranked relative to Cutler is completely irrelevant when discussing an individual player's "resurgency".

If people were making the claim he would be an insta-lock for top 10 stats this year because of the Gase connection, I would understand you wanting to compare him to other QBs in 2015. But nobody has said that. They have been comparing 2015 Cutler with Career Cutler, and pointed out the high-point he acheived with Gase and approved of the move as a result.

Comparing a players play to other's at the position is ALWAYS relevant. It's the baseline of good play versus bad play. The baseline for good QB play in 2015 is set by that year and previous years play at QB. Did he make an improvement? Yes, clearly. Did he make a significant improvement that makes him a strong QB option? No, because he still wasnt competitive with the field. You point out that this was his career year, which is not a ringing endorsement, and that he has better weapons this year than in 2015. True, but he has had better weapons in the past and his career year came without them. A lot of that has to do with where his throws are going, which in 2015 was within 5 yards of the LOS at a significantly higher rate. This is what cut down on his INTs. 

He likely needs to set career highs in almost every statistical category to rank as a top 15 QB this season. I dont care who the coach or supporting cast is, but that IS a stretch for someone in the league as long as him, with questionable motivation, and coming off a serious shoulder surgery. I don't think the jump between him and Moore is actually that big, and I don't think the Phins made the right move giving him 10.5 mil. 

8 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Lol, apart from one or two people here, seems like everyone is positive about this move and saying "Cutler got a bad rap" or "I liked Cutler more than most"

Where were you all when he was a chicago bear? xD

Everybody likes a good comeback story

10 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Lol, apart from one or two people here, seems like everyone is positive about this move and saying "Cutler got a bad rap" or "I liked Cutler more than most"

I'm following for the lulz. 

This being said - it's different circumstances with this development. In Chicago, he was contracted out as a starter, with expectations to play as one of the top 15 QBs in the NFL, given the length of his contract and overall dollar. In this respect, he's failed for the most part.

In Miami, he's a safety net that has to be engaged, given an injury. If he plays fairly well (at least as well as Tannehill you who isn't exactly in the top 10 discussion) then he's suddenly worthy of the expectations put before him. If he exceeds the "Tannehill line" then it's a sharp move.

Ultimately it's for the Smokin Jay and the lulz that follow.

On 8/8/2017 at 9:47 PM, TankWilliams said:

If the Dolphins played the AFC South instead of the AFC West this year, I'd say they could get a wildcard.

Archived