Deontay Burnett: Teams that Fit and What Round Does He Go?

HBL052086

I know he is not among the top 5 receivers in this draft, and couldn't participate in the combine or  Pro Day, but Deontay Burnett is one of my favorite players in this draft. High-character guy, not very vocal and diva-like for a WR, and lets his play do the talking. Also has some of his best hands in the draft. He is probably best suited as a slot receiver, and is likely going in the Round 3-5 range. Curious what some thoughts/opinions were on him, specifically where he could get drafted and some teams that are good potential fits for him.

I like Burnett in Round 3 as well, but I think he could get pushed into Round 4. Personally I'd love to see him on my Eagles, but I don't see the fit. I do think he fits with the Patriots, as he does seem like a Pats-type of player. I also think he fits with the 49ers, Falcons, and Packers. 

Burnett early this year I thought played to the level of a future 1st round pick, however I think he should have came back to school for another season, would probably be one in 2019.  But still I think he will be a 3rd rounder, and potentially a 2nd if a team really likes him.  Love how he catches the football, made some insane grabs early this season and was extremely explosive as a pass catcher.  Of course not working out out at the combine hurts but kid has good speed and fine hands.  Could become a solid receiver and is easily one of the top 10 WRs in the draft no question.  With the fact Kirk, St. Brown, Tate and Tre'Quan Smith declared early that gives him a little more competition at WR, where before I had him behind the likes of Washington, Ridley and Sutton.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

is easily one of the top 10 WRs in the draft no question.

I don't think he's that high.  Ridley/Moore/Sutton/Kirk/Miller/Washington/Gallup/Chark/St Brown/Pettis, there's 10 that are pretty easily above him in my opinion.  I actually think he's a 4th-5th rounder and closer to the 15-20 range.

6 minutes ago, bananabucket said:

I don't think he's that high.  Ridley/Moore/Sutton/Kirk/Miller/Washington/Gallup/Chark/St Brown/Pettis, there's 10 that are pretty easily above him in my opinion.  I actually think he's a 4th-5th rounder and closer to the 15-20 range.

Anthony Miller could argue taking over Burnett but I would not take Gallup over him and same with Pettis.  Pettis is a great return man for sure and big play threat but not the same threat as a WR consistently.  Also DJ Moore I am not as high on him as others are, he is a good player but a little too much like a RB in my book unless you really need a slot WR bad.  

Burnett can make some insane catches and that ability separates him a little I think, made Darnold look good more than once with this past year with some great grabs.  

I honestly don't think he will crack the top 10 WR's - so Day 3 seems like his landing spot.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him get nabbed by CLE/BUF if they draft Darnold (Gmen have so few picks, harder to see if that's where Darnold lands).

Burnett would be a great fit in the Wal-Mart stock room.

He's not good enough to be on a roster in the NFL. Too small and too slow.

And OP, how isn't he at least a little bit of a diva? When OSU was skullsexing them in the bowl game, he was throwing up 1st down signs after getting meaningless receptions. I hate "that guy". In a draft with so many good WR's (no #1's tho), I would honestly be shocked to see him drafted.

It should be mentioned that Burnett was still recovering from injury.

USC WR @Deontay_Burnett, who is still nursing a hamstring injury of his own, ran a 4.70 40 this morning. #USCtotheNFL pic.twitter.com/Vm7ZIYzKGA

— USC Trojans (@USC_Athletics) April 5, 2018

I have him going rd 4, but no shock if he slips a round further. 

Archived