Deontay Burnett: Teams that Fit and What Round Does He Go?

HBL052086

I think Burnett has a chance to stick around the league for a while, but that Ohio State bowl game is hard to overlook.

1st play: Doesn't hold onto the ball and commits a big fumble to give OSU momentum to start the game.

1:13: Drops a 15-20 yard pass on 3rd and 5 because he can't hold on through contact

1:23: Darnold's RPO Pick-Six, not sure there was much Burnett could do but his action on it certainly could have been more crisp.

1:50: Starts to drift backwards when running his route, when he adjusts he turns his back on Darnold, causing an incompletion.  Needs to turn the other way.

3:42: Bad throw by Darnold, but the effort looks lacking.  Would like to see him leave his feet here with the team down 17.  I think he at least gets his hands on it.

Not spotlighted plays: Finds ways to get open but struggles making plays after the catch.  Looks fluid which can make it deceiving but I would like to see more effort at times.  Never felt like he and Darnold were on the same page.

Even as a USC fan, I can’t say Burnett is worthy of being picked before Day 3. He’s talented sure but comes with a slew of question marks. There are quite a few WRs in this meh WR class that I’d prefer. 

Miller in the 3rd or Burnett in the 5th? Easily Miller.

Gallup in the 4th or Burnett in the 6th? Gallup, easy.

Daesean Hamilton, Daurice Fountain, Dante Pettis.. just some guys I’d rather have that’ll be available when Burnett is. Then we have toss-ups like Trey Quinn, Keke Coutee.. Antonio Callaway is a top-3 WR prospect with a two-cent brain but I’ll take a flier on him over Burnett.

He was definitely more of a product of Darnold’s play than vice-versa. He was the only guy at USC with any experience or connection to Darnold. Had Juju stayed or one of the younger WRs on USC actually took a step forward in 2017, I don’t even know if we’d be talking about Burnett as anything more than a 6th/7th rounder, probably Priority UDFA.

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

I think he could have a long career as a number 4 slot receiver 

nothing crazy but he's got the skillset that can stay around 

I don't really agree. How many 170 pound WR's that run 4.7 40's are in the NFL? If it's more than 0, I'd be utterly shocked. In fact, I don't even need to research it. I know there are 0.

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't really agree. How many 170 pound WR's that run 4.7 40's are in the NFL? If it's more than 0, I'd be utterly shocked. In fact, I don't even need to research it. I know there are 0.

Demarcus Ayers ran a 4.72 at 182 pounds at the combine.  He is currently in the NFL (just a reserve contract, but he has a career touchdown).  I would say that a 182 at the combine is equivalent to 177 at a pro day.  So technically there is one.;)  However, this is all assuming that Burnett is an actual 4.7 guy and not limited by the injury.  He could be more like ~185 with a low 4.6 or even high 4.5 on a good day.  That would have a lot longer list of comparable players.

58 minutes ago, winitall said:

Demarcus Ayers ran a 4.72 at 182 pounds at the combine.  He is currently in the NFL (just a reserve contract, but he has a career touchdown).  I would say that a 182 at the combine is equivalent to 177 at a pro day.  So technically there is one.;)  However, this is all assuming that Burnett is an actual 4.7 guy and not limited by the injury.  He could be more like ~185 with a low 4.6 or even high 4.5 on a good day.  That would have a lot longer list of comparable players.

Still, knock the list down - 185 and 4.6 time...how many of those guys are in the NFL?    There's probably 4-5 examples - and about 100x college guys with that profile who never make it.

I actually think his best shot is to go to the team that drafts Darnold,  but like I said, only on Day 3.

Archived