First Round Locks: Players and Teams

HBL052086

At this point in the draft process, are there any players that feel like near-locks to end up on certain teams in Round 1? Of courses there will be trades and surprises, but there are instances where players and teams are a match made in heaven based on scheme fit, chatter/rumors, etc. 

Really, I don't think that there is much in the way of locks yet. I think if Chubb is there at 6, the Colts will take him. But it's no guarantee that he's there. I don't even think there's a lock at #1 yet (think it's between Allen / Darnold with the latter being the pick). For my 9ers, I still have 5-6 reasonable players that could be the selection. I think if LVE is there when Pitt makes its selection, he'll be the pick. If Davenport is there for the Packers, I think he's the pick. Neither of those I would consider locks, however. 

1 hour ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Since they've met with him, what, 4 times, I'd say the Bills would take Baker if he's there at 12

I can't see the Falcons passing on Taven Bryan either

I think 4 is as high as they go for him. I don't think Buffalo would wait until 12 though. I suspect they go to 6 to get him. 

2 hours ago, BowlesDawgDX said:

Since they've met with him, what, 4 times, I'd say the Bills would take Baker if he's there at 12

I can't see the Falcons passing on Taven Bryan either

I do not get this Taven Bryan love.  Kid has fine quickness, good penetrating DT but I think his value as a prospect is more as a 2nd round guy.  He has freaking 5.5 sacks to his name in a three year Florida football college career.  That is not exactly impressive, he was not even the most productive DL on his team this year arguably and it is not that super talented of a DL for Florida either.  Nice player but not sure he is worth a 1st round pick.  

Maurice Hurst sure had the heart issue detected early which could scare some teams.  But on the field kid is a stud DT and a better player than Bryan.  Hurst had 32 TFL and 13.5 sacks in a four year Michigan career on one of the most talented DLs in the nation, and really only played the last three years.  Bryan in three years had 10.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks.  One is far more proven and productive than the other.  Lucky for Taven this year the DT spot is not super deep, because next year in 2019 he would have a lot harder time become compared to those DTs.  

Sure some might not happen but here are some picks that are hard to argue with.

*Browns taking Barkley at 4  (is worth a higher selection but with all the QB love ahead of this pick, this would be a dream scenario for the Browns)

*Bucs taking Denzel Ward at 7 (hard to argue and it is a huge need for them, would like a bigger corner however and Derwin James could help at S but did not have as good recent tape this past year)

*49ers taking Termaine Edmunds at 9 (best linebacker and best athlete at linebacker in a need position)

*Raiders taking Roquan Smith at 10 (big need a a fine talent for sure)

*Seattle taking Joshua Jackson at 18 (Huge need an a nice big corner for their system)  

*Packers taking Davenport or Derwin James at 14 (both needs, Washington could get Davenport as well but no way he goes past this team if he is there)

*Panthers taking Connor Williams at 24 (Is a huge need with Norwell now gone and that OL kind of in question)

*Steelers taking a LB at 28 either Evans, Vander Esch, Jefferson or Landry whoever is there.  (They seem to always take a LB and doubt it would be different here, just who is around.  Would be interesting to see Reid go here as a safety which they need also)

*Vikings taking Kolton Miller at 30 (Need OL badly, could get value potentially if someone drops but really do need some OL help, especially if they want to move Remmers inside to guard.)

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

I do not get this Taven Bryan love.  Kid has fine quickness, good penetrating DT but I think his value as a prospect is more as a 2nd round guy.  He has freaking 5.5 sacks to his name in a three year Florida football college career.  That is not exactly impressive, he was not even the most productive DL on his team this year arguably and it is not that super talented of a DL for Florida either.  Nice player but not sure he is worth a 1st round pick.  

Maurice Hurst sure had the heart issue detected early which could scare some teams.  But on the field kid is a stud DT and a better player than Bryan.  Hurst had 32 TFL and 13.5 sacks in a four year Michigan career on one of the most talented DLs in the nation, and really only played the last three years.  Bryan in three years had 10.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks.  One is far more proven and productive than the other.  Lucky for Taven this year the DT spot is not super deep, because next year in 2019 he would have a lot harder time become compared to those DTs.  

Sure some might not happen but here are some picks that are hard to argue with.

*Browns taking Barkley at 4  (is worth a higher selection but with all the QB love ahead of this pick, this would be a dream scenario for the Browns)

I LOVE Barkley, but still feel four is a bit early for him. Still Elliott and Fournette went at #4(and I like Barkley better than either of them), so you may be right.

Just now, mitch_connor said:

I LOVE Barkley, but still feel four is a bit early for him. Still Elliott and Fournette went at #4(and I like Barkley better than either of them), so you may be right.

If the Browns do take a QB at #1, they would be bat S crazy to not take Barkley at #4 when really he is the best player in the draft and should be #1 if people did not love QBs as much as they do.  I would agree, Barkley is arguably better than Fournette no doubt, Elliott is a closer call but Barkley is better as an overall player and more athletic, Elliott is more powerful runner between the tackles.  

Still if they do not take him and take Nelson or Fitzpatrick, sure that would work as well but you get Barkley if you have two top picks in the top four and you already got a QB before in the draft.  Barkley could easily go to the Giants potentially if they are ok with Eli and could be better value if they get a Mason Rudolph for a development QB behind Eli in early 2nd.  

Just now, Don Roshi said:

Nah. Poor positional value.

Sure they could not take him and go a different way, but to take not a RB who is arguably the best RB prospect to come into the league since Adrian Peterson.  That could be pretty stupid.  Especially with the success of RBs in general in the league and how important they are to their teams.  In terms of player ranking their is no elite OT they could get at that spot which is a huge need, Nelson would be solid because that is a big need as well at OG.  Could go DT with Vea but with how poorly Shelton played doubt they do that.  In terms of pure talent, no one is more complete of a prospect than Barkley.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

Sure they could not take him and go a different way, but to take not a RB who is arguably the best RB prospect to come into the league since Adrian Peterson.  That could be pretty stupid.  Especially with the success of RBs in general in the league and how important they are to their teams.  In terms of player ranking their is no elite OT they could get at that spot which is a huge need, Nelson would be solid because that is a big need as well at OG.  Could go DT with Vea but with how poorly Shelton played doubt they do that.  In terms of pure talent, no one is more complete of a prospect than Barkley.  

Shelton didn't play poorly. I think we just didn't want to pay a none pass rushing DT $11.5m. Plus there were rumours that he wanted out.

OG is our strongest position. We have Bitonio and Zeitler starting.

Ideally, we trade back (at least to 5) and grab either Chubb or Ward.

2 minutes ago, Don Roshi said:

Shelton didn't play poorly. I think we just didn't want to pay a none pass rushing DT $11.5m. Plus there were rumours that he wanted out.

OG is our strongest position. We have Bitonio and Zeitler starting.

Ideally, we trade back (at least to 5) and grab either Chubb or Ward.

Sure they could do that potentially as well, but to me Barkley is a transcendent talent and the clear #1 player in this draft.  Absolute freak athletically, very well put together who can play in the pass game and play with power and off the field he is about as good as you can get character wise and in terms of work ethic.  Would take a ton of pressure off the QB honestly who is most likely going to struggle when forced to play early.  But they did get Hyde and have Dayes and Johnson as well so not exactly a need sure, but take the best player and then could even get a team trading with you to get him if they love Hyde, Johnson and Dayes at RB.  Oddly enough you put Johnson's pass catching ability with Hydes power and combine them, Barkley is still a better player than them combined.  

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Sure they could do that potentially as well, but to me Barkley is a transcendent talent and the clear #1 player in this draft.  Absolute freak athletically, very well put together who can play in the pass game and play with power and off the field he is about as good as you can get character wise and in terms of work ethic.  Would take a ton of pressure off the QB honestly who is most likely going to struggle when forced to play early.  But they did get Hyde and have Dayes and Johnson as well so not exactly a need sure, but take the best player and then could even get a team trading with you to get him if they love Hyde, Johnson and Dayes at RB.  Oddly enough you put Johnson's pass catching ability with Hydes power and combine them, Barkley is still a better player than them combined.  

I disagree about Barkley being a transcendent talent. He's a good guy no doubt, but he was very inconsistent in college. Even if he is good I'd happily pass on him at four. Take the pass rusher or CB.

Earliest I'd take a RB would be the top of the second, though I'd rather wait until the third.

1 minute ago, Don Roshi said:

I disagree about Barkley being a transcendent talent. He's a good guy no doubt, but he was very inconsistent in college. Even if he is good I'd happily pass on him at four. Take the pass rusher or CB.

Earliest I'd take a RB would be the top of the second, though I'd rather wait until the third.

You can dislike RBs, that is great, do not value them similar to Mel Kiper, that is great.  But Barkley is an elite talent, name me these great OLs on Penn State blocking for him, maybe Connor McGovern but that is about it.  That OL was ok at absolute best.  The TEs did not block at all and they did not use multiple TE sets either, oh and they did not have a FB either and their passing game was inconsistent and focuses mostly on the big play at all times.  Not exactly things that make RBs wildly successful, yet he still was and had a fine college career considering that offense he was it.  If he went to Wisconsin his production would be a little different, then again his wear and tear is arguably less because he was not asked to run inbetween the tackles often which could be a plus.  

But sure do not take him, but Barkley is transcendent point blank.  Could never call Ward, Chubb, Nelson or whoever the best player in the draft, but calling Barkley the best is not even a question honestly and most believe he is.  Thus I would not pass on him if he falls to 4 and would be shocked if they do.

Archived