Artificial Intelligence: Are You Concerned?

cddolphin

AI  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on AI?

• AI could very well turn into an existential threat if humans aren't careful
    • AI could lead to big problems, but it's nothing we can't handle as a species
    • AI fear is overblown, any problems should be minimal and easily overcome
    • Fears about AI? People were worried about Y2K too. It will only bring good, any problems will be human error

23 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

How do you unplug the internet?

The first thing any real AI would do is decentralize 

I've got to think there's some sort of backdoor embedded deep within some line of code. A kill switch or shackel to either get it back in line, or take it offline.

Might not shut down the whole decentralized network, but the primary node would be taken down.

I read a good book called ‘Homo Deus’ about AI and the future of humanity. Good read if you’re interested in that stuff.

I think AI could be an existenal threat, but not for a long long time.

However, we should all be worried about AI and the economy. Many jobs are gonna be lost in all sectors. It’s gonna be interesting how we handle it.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:57 PM, Heimdallr said:

It depends on how you define AI. A fully sentient, self-evolving AI would change the world in ways nobody can predict. That is a long ways off though.

I think I'll see it in the tail end of my life time.

On 4/6/2018 at 7:57 PM, Heimdallr said:

The bigger and much more immediate concern is quasi-AI (robots) eliminating the entire working class.

Self-driving cars will likely eliminate 10% of jobs within a decade or two. There'll be some pain while the workforce is re-allocated but I just the free market will find create work for them.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:39 AM, cddolphin said:

Simple question with complex, nuanced answers. Does the future of AI concern you at all? Do you think it could be an existential threat? Or do you believe it will do far more good than harm?

yes, yes, maybe
Reality is this- humans are making the algorithm that will create the first GAI
humans mess up
what if we mess up the first go?

On 4/6/2018 at 3:30 PM, EliteTexan80 said:

Bingo. Reliable, dependable fail-safes and manual overrides should mitigate against any bad thoughts.

except for if the GAI in its singular glory figures out a way to persuade the humans who have the ability to override a way to break the failsafes

7 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

why do you think that?

Probably could say a lot of theoretical stuff, but i think the best answer to this question is: because history says it will happen.  

Machines have been replacing human labor for centuries.  We always find work for those displaced by them.  We also keep expanding the population.

Those people will find something to do.

Archived