Artificial Intelligence: Are You Concerned?

cddolphin

AI  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on AI?

• AI could very well turn into an existential threat if humans aren't careful
    • AI could lead to big problems, but it's nothing we can't handle as a species
    • AI fear is overblown, any problems should be minimal and easily overcome
    • Fears about AI? People were worried about Y2K too. It will only bring good, any problems will be human error

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Was meant as a potential positive example, i.e. less traffic, wasted space, vehicle fatalities

Ah, apologies.  Yeah i think it'll mostly be a good thing.  Of course there will be issues to work through, but as i said in my other post, i don't see the same issues with AI that others do.  In most cases, the issues with all this intelligence is the hands that it falls into and their intentions.

It depends on how you define AI. A fully sentient, self-evolving AI would change the world in ways nobody can predict. That is a long ways off though.

The bigger and much more immediate concern is quasi-AI (robots) eliminating the entire working class.

36 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

The bigger and much more immediate concern is quasi-AI (robots) eliminating the entire working class.

That's a long way off too.  We've largely picked off the easy to automate working class jobs.  There aren't as many slam dunks as there used to be.  Humans are extremely flexible (if imperfect) workers.  Much of what we're trying to automate today requires a lot of sophisticated AI, which doesn't usually have a business case (i.e. doesn't pay for itself).

If we find a way to lower the cost of automation dramatically, then you start to worry.  But today, the fear of robots eliminating jobs should be pretty minimal.

There's also the flip side to the argument, that these things just make us wealthier as a whole and moves jobs away from manufacturing and into the service industry. 

Human labor still has a lot of value.

14 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

Bingo. Reliable, dependable fail-safes and manual overrides should mitigate against any bad thoughts.

TIME TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD, TIME TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD, TIME TO... Power Off.

Archived