Will the Green Bay Packers and Cleveland Browns Do Business Again During the 2018 NFL Draft?

Bob Fox

General manager Brian Gutekunst of the Green Bay Packers and general manager John Dorsey of the Cleveland Browns worked together in the scouting department of the Packers for 13 years.

Plus, Eliot Wolf, who is now assistant general manager of the Browns, and Alonzo Highsmith, who is now vice president of the Browns, also spent many years together with Gutekunst in the Green Bay scouting department.

Those associations led to a trade the two teams made in early March, when the Packers dealt cornerback Damarious Randall for quarterback DeShone Kizer of the Browns, plus the teams swapped of picks in both the fourth and fifth rounds of the 2018 NFL draft.

That meant that the Packers will have the first pick in both the fourth and fifth rounds of the upcoming draft.

Could there be another deal made between the two teams during the draft?

I’m thinking that there could be.

The Packers have 12 selections in the draft this year, which includes their own picks in each of the seven rounds of the draft, plus have four compensatory picks (one in the fourth round, two in the fifth round and one in the sixth round), plus have another pick in the seventh round due to a trade.

The Browns only have nine picks in the draft, plus the team doesn’t have a selection in either the third or seventh round. But don’t go feeling sorry for the Browns, as they have the first and fourth selection of the draft in the first round, plus have the first and third selections of the second round of the draft.

It is at the beginning of the second round where I could see the Packers doing a maneuver with the Browns.

To read the rest of the story, please go to:

https://greenbaybobfox.wordpress.com/2018/04/06/will-the-green-bay-packers-and-cleveland-browns-do-business-again-during-the-2018-nfl-draft/

If you want to pimp your blog here, it'd be nice if you contribute outside of these posts.

Anyway, here's the relevant points I think you make

"trade up in the 2nd round with cleveland to land one of these guys:"

If Landry, Key or Carter were still available at the top of the second round, they could be paired with Davenport as bookends at outside linebacker.

Vander Esch would also be an outstanding add-on for the Packers. He could be paired with Blake Martinez at inside linebacker. Like Martinez, Vander Esch would be a tackling machine. 

Jackson, Harrison and Alexander would all be a big addition to the beleaguered secondary of the Packers. The team desperately needs to add talent and depth to the cornerback position. Jackson and Alexander certainly belong in that category. Harrison would be able to replace Morgan Burnett (left via free agency) at safety and join fellow former Alabama star Ha Ha Clinton-Dix there.

So, I guess you want to trade up to get one of these guys and you're assuming we go Davenport in the first.  If we go davenport, we won't be taking a 2nd pass rusher in the early 2nd.  We'll be taking a more versatile player or a DB.  If Jackson was there, that's a reason to move up.  I don't think he will be.

If Alexander is there, that's a consideration.  Same with LVE.

T9ftM8O.jpg

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

If you want to pimp your blog here, it'd be nice if you contribute outside of these posts.

Anyway, here's the relevant points I think you make

"trade up in the 2nd round with cleveland to land one of these guys:"

So, I guess you want to trade up to get one of these guys and you're assuming we go Davenport in the first.  If we go davenport, we won't be taking a 2nd pass rusher in the early 2nd.  We'll be taking a more versatile player or a DB.  If Jackson was there, that's a reason to move up.  I don't think he will be.

If Alexander is there, that's a consideration.  Same with LVE.

I want nothing to do with Josh Jackson. He was a one year wonder with questionable speed and he can't tackle. No thanks; I'd rather have Alexander.

I've made it known that Davenport is a 4-3 DE and while I've been critical of Landry as well, I would be OK with taking him in the 2nd round or trading up for Arden Key.

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

I want nothing to do with Josh Jackson. He was a one year wonder with questionable speed and he can't tackle. No thanks; I'd rather have Alexander.

I've made it known that Davenport is a 4-3 DE and while I've been critical of Landry as well, I would be OK with taking him in the 2nd round or trading up for Arden Key.

About Jackson.  What if Pettine wants to run a zone defense?

I don't know enough about Pettine to know what he wants to do with the secondary.  But, if he wants zone corners, then I have to think that Jackson is quite high on his list.  

The deal I'd do with the Browns, is the Packers 14th pick in round one, for the Browns 33rd and 35th picks. the difference is about 30 points and I'd do that deal even if it cost the Packers late 5th and 6th rounders to seal an equal deal. Packers would then own 33, 35, 45, 76, 101, 133, 174, 186, 232, 239. That is 10 picks, five in the first 101.

Potentially, that gets them a good Pass rusher, good CB, good WR, good TE, in the first 101 picks, and that still leaves an early spot free for a solid O lineman. The five later picks are more depth and developmental. If Gute hits on the first five, this 'team-with-many-holes' suddenly looks solid.

The difficulty with that kind of deal of course, is persuading the Browns to give up their two picks, to move up.

11 minutes ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Any chance we move up to 4 if Chubb is still there?

I don't think Chubb is really worth the 4th pick.  He's at the top of his position, but I don't think that position is very dynamic this year.  A lot of projects and warts at the EDGE catagory.  I don't think he fits what Pettine has run before as well as some of the other EDGEs do. All in all, I think this was a ****ty year to have a #14 pick - unless someone falls.

First off, I was asked to post my stories here. I also know a number of the members here from Packer Chatters. I post my articles there as well. And as they know, I often join in some of the discussions. And I will here too at times. In terms of who the Packers select in Round 2 if they trade up with the Browns, it's an interesting debate. If the Packers do pick Marcus Davenport in the first round, it makes sense to draft a CB or S in Round 2 if they are the best player on your board. But, if by chance, Harold Landry, Arden Key or Lorenzo Carter are still on the board and they are ranked higher on the Green Bay draft board, than that is who the Packers will probably select. A good pass rush improves a secondary without a doubt. A great pass rush makes an ordinary secondary look better than average. Plus, Chris Landry tells me that one of the strengths of this draft is in the secondary. One can get some nice talent there from the third round on. There is also the chance that somebody like Minkah Fitzpatrick might fall to the Packers at No. 14. Landry has Fitzpatrick rated higher on his board than Davenport. The Packers probably do as well. But you never know. I do know that Landry does some consulting work with the Packers. The bottom line is the Packers should be able to get a very good player at No. 14 and have the ammo to trade-up to go for some more talent at No. 33 or No. 35 if the right player is there, no matter the position.

Bob I enjoy your articles I did see some on PC and look forward to reading them in the future. As leader says not everyone is going to agree that you should post the links here or with the content of the articles such is life. Thanks for the articles.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:53 AM, skibrett15 said:

Everyone contributes in their own way.  If you have issues with it, feel free to PM the forum moderators.

Archived