Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Pace should have just tendered him at 2.9 and brought him to camp.

Even if you think his knee is junk or that he might not fit.

Tender him at 2.9, bring him to camp and cut him if he is physically a mess.

If his knee is junk they probably shouldn’t have given a tender at all. The half way between tender suggests to me it might be “healthy” at some point but never the same making his prognosis as a player a giant question mark. 

All the Meredith info is interesting & maybe it was a tougher decision for Pace than we all 1st anticipated. And he had to place the tender before free agency, so maybe that complicated things. But in hindsight, I do believe that he should have gone with the 2nd round tender, simply because it was not guaranteed money (correct me if I’m wrong). That would have ensured us having complete control & getting more time to assess Meredith’s health (without any risk of dead money). Of course, it’s also true that this could have complicated Pace’s decisions on how to fill out the WR roster if he didn’t know if he could count on Meredith. But we’re so thin at WR & he obviously was a talented player, so I just think that would have been a much better decision. Most of us assumed Pace chose the lower tender so that he could match an offer & keep Cam under contract for a reasonable rate for multiple years. But if he wasn’t going to do that, then it seems silly to not have retained control with the 2nd round tender. There was nothing to lose & everything to gain by doing that. Of course, like I said this is all hindsight & I don’t know what their thought process was.. So it’s easy for me to say this now.. & Who knows, maybe Pace regrets using the lower tender now. It’s hard to say.

One good thing that I think is apparent about Pace is that he’s going to continue to be very responsible with the salary cap. And that’s a really big thing. Then we can continue to build the team & move forward even if mistakes are made sometimes. No one is going to make every perfect decision. The big picture of the future of this team looks to be in very good shape right now imo. So I’m hoping we can have a great draft. I’d LOVE to see a trade down in the 1st round & grab a couple more high end picks.

4 hours ago, Trubiskytime said:

All the Meredith info is interesting & maybe it was a tougher decision for Pace than we all 1st anticipated. And he had to place the tender before free agency, so maybe that complicated things. But in hindsight, I do believe that he should have gone with the 2nd round tender, simply because it was not guaranteed money (correct me if I’m wrong). That would have ensured us having complete control & getting more time to assess Meredith’s health (without any risk of dead money). Of course, it’s also true that this could have complicated Pace’s decisions on how to fill out the WR roster if he didn’t know if he could count on Meredith. But we’re so thin at WR & he obviously was a talented player, so I just think that would have been a much better decision. Most of us assumed Pace chose the lower tender so that he could match an offer & keep Cam under contract for a reasonable rate for multiple years. But if he wasn’t going to do that, then it seems silly to not have retained control with the 2nd round tender. There was nothing to lose & everything to gain by doing that. Of course, like I said this is all hindsight & I don’t know what their thought process was.. So it’s easy for me to say this now.. & Who knows, maybe Pace regrets using the lower tender now. It’s hard to say.

One good thing that I think is apparent about Pace is that he’s going to continue to be very responsible with the salary cap. And that’s a really big thing. Then we can continue to build the team & move forward even if mistakes are made sometimes. No one is going to make every perfect decision. The big picture of the future of this team looks to be in very good shape right now imo. So I’m hoping we can have a great draft. I’d LOVE to see a trade down in the 1st round & grab a couple more high end picks.

The tender is guaranteed money and the cap had nothing to do with the decision.  The Bears still have $29M in cap space for this year.  Anybody who thinks this is a financial decision is being foolish.

10 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

If his knee is junk they probably shouldn’t have given a tender at all. The half way between tender suggests to me it might be “healthy” at some point but never the same making his prognosis as a player a giant question mark. 

The money is unguranteed. Bring him to camp and see.

An unguaranteed 1 million is not worth not getting to see what Cam comes back as.

56 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

The tender is guaranteed money and the cap had nothing to do with the decision.  The Bears still have $29M in cap space for this year.  Anybody who thinks this is a financial decision is being foolish.

It is not guaranteed. You could have cut Cam during camp and owed him nothing.

This was a market misread by Pace. I don’t think he thought anyone would make an offer to Cam with his knee.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

It is not guaranteed. You could have cut Cam during camp and owed him nothing.

This was a market misread by Pace. I don’t think he thought anyone would make an offer to Cam with his knee.

Yes, I totally agree. This seems to be the only logical conclusion to draw.

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

We are all well aware of how much space they have with the cap & I certainly never said this was a cap decision :)  I believe you misunderstood my last post. Since you were incorrect about the tender money being guaranteed, this is where it should be obvious to see that Pace’s only mistake was to not use the 2nd round tender. He obviously didn’t feel comfortable guaranteeing money because of injury concerns. This is why I completely agree with WindyCity’s assessment of the situation. It seems to be a market misread by the Bears when they chose which tender to use.

And it’s not “foolish” to realize that it became a financial decision after they wound up being in the position where they had to decide on whether or not to match the Saints offer,  which did contain guaranteed money.  So I’m not sure what point you were trying to make.

In my previous post, I was trying not to be hard on Pace about this because he obviously has had much more information than myself, & there may be things I am unaware of which contributed to the Bears decisions. And overall I think Pace is doing a very good job. My previous comments about the salary cap were simply said as a compliment to him as something I think he does well as a GM, and that it seems like he’s going to continue to keep us in good shape for the future, which is awesome. I didn’t want to just be critical, w/o recognizing what he’s doing well. Making a mistake with the Cam situation might hurt, but Pace still has us in a great position to be an up & coming very good team. That’s all I was saying. Just trying not to be overly critical since I believe he’s done a lot of great things lately & we definitely have a lot to be excited about. :)

Archived