Saints sign WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

13 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Given how fast we matched on Fuller I’m at least a little surprised we didn’t match quickly here too. 

Was just thinking this. The more time passes the more you have to wonder if Cam will be brought back. Might not be the slam dunk we all think it is.

30 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Was just thinking this. The more time passes the more you have to wonder if Cam will be brought back. Might not be the slam dunk we all think it is.

I wonder if they feel we are going to be in two TE set so often with Robinson as a #1...Gabriel on the outside as a deep threat #2...Shaheen as an inline TE and Burton at the flex "U" position as well as Howard & Cohen out the backfield is a 4th or 5th most used weapon worth $5 million a year? Personally I would like to see us match it since it's only 2 years and Robinson is coming off his injury but I can see the logic.

If all of this was the case, why not place a 2nd round tender on him? IIRC, had they done that, a team would have to give up a 2nd rounder for Meredith as opposed to letting him walk for nothing. Also, teams typically don't sign guys who have a 2nd round tender attached, so they could have prevented this in general.

I think we’re really underestimating how much Cohen is gunna line up at WR. I bet more snaps than in the backfield. With Robinson/Gabriel/KW/Cohen, I’m starting to think Meredith’s a goner. Have had this gut feeling about it the past day too. 

26 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I think we’re really underestimating how much Cohen is gunna line up at WR. I bet more snaps than in the backfield. With Robinson/Gabriel/KW/Cohen, I’m starting to think Meredith’s a goner. Have had this gut feeling about it the past day too. 

Bad move by pace letting a quality player walk for nothing. We have the cap space and we need as many weapons as possible.

3 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Bad move by pace letting a quality player walk for nothing. We have the cap space and we need as many weapons as possible.

No where did I say this was the move I wanted nor the move Pace should make. I’m simply stating, don’t be surprised when Pace let’s him walk. 

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I wonder if they feel we are going to be in two TE set so often with Robinson as a #1...Gabriel on the outside as a deep threat #2...Shaheen as an inline TE and Burton at the flex "U" position as well as Howard & Cohen out the backfield is a 4th or 5th most used weapon worth $5 million a year? Personally I would like to see us match it since it's only 2 years and Robinson is coming off his injury but I can see the logic.

It absolutely would be worth it IMO. If Robinson goes down and we don't have Meredith that puts us with our top targets being Burton, Gabriel, Shaheen, and Cohen. $5mil is cheap for his talent, and is pennies as an insurance policy to Robinson getting injured. 

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

If all of this was the case, why not place a 2nd round tender on him? IIRC, had they done that, a team would have to give up a 2nd rounder for Meredith as opposed to letting him walk for nothing. Also, teams typically don't sign guys who have a 2nd round tender attached, so they could have prevented this in general.

And that's exactly what they should have done. They would have got him cheaper, too.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

It's a bad look as well. A homegrown talent--an UDFA quarterback that they converted even--and they let him walk because of a million dollars and the normal uncertainty of coming off an injury? Yuck. Hopefully the Bears bring him back and all this conjecture goes away, but if not, I can't imagine how this wouldn't resonate among players. 

19 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

And that's exactly what they should have done. They would have got him cheaper, too.

The whole point of the tag used was that  Pace wanted to NOT sign him for just one year unless that was what the market bore for him. The point was to lock in a young player on a multi-year deal with the market setting his fair rate. We just went through all of this 2 weeks ago with Fuller. 

I’ll be shocked if we don’t match. SHOCKED. For all the reasons mentioned. Because it would be a bad look. Because he’s a UDFA converted QB who made himself into a real WR. Because of Robinson’s and White’s injuries. Because this contract is not any more constricting in reality on our budget than having just tagging him at the 2nd round tender. Assuming we match we will still be more than $20M under the cap, and if he can come back at a 2016 Meredith level of play the contract is a bargain for both this AND next year. 

Of our two RFA Callahan is, by far, the more expendable one for 2018 IMO. LeBlanc has played well there and apparently they really like Mincy who they signed from the CFL. We’ve played a lot of games with Callahan on the shelf the past two years anyway and there’s been no discernible drop off at all. 

6 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

You guys seem pretty big on Meredith. Was/is he expected to be a big contributor for you guys this season?

We were hoping he would be, yeah. He was coming off a season that made it look like it was a really good possibility, too. 

5 minutes ago, navysaintsfan said:

Also where the hell is @GRRLacher I feel like I haven't seen him around the forums in years.

Hasn't been around for a long time. You got me...

3 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The whole point of the tag used was that  Pace wanted to NOT sign him for just one year unless that was what the market bore for him. The point was to lock in a young player on a multi-year deal with the market setting his fair rate. We just went through all of this 2 weeks ago with Fuller. 

I’ll be shocked if we don’t match. SHOCKED. For all the reasons mentioned. Because it would be a bad look. Because he’s a UDFA converted QB who made himself into a real WR. Because of Robinson’s and White’s injuries. Because this contract is not any more constricting in reality on our budget than having just tagging him at the 2nd round tender. Assuming we match we will still be more than $20M under the cap, and if he can come back at a 2016 Meredith level of play the contract is a bargain for both this AND next year. 

Of our two RFA Callahan is, by far, the more expendable one for 2018 IMO. LeBlanc has played well there and apparently they really like Mincy who they signed from the CFL. We’ve played a lot of games with Callahan on the shelf the past two years anyway and there’s been no discernible drop off at all. 

Yeah, we did. But at least they signed him right away. Callahan, I would agree, is definitely expendable. Not only would letting Meredith walk be a classless move, it leave a hole in the roster to boot. Let's hope Pace does the right thing. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

We were hoping he would be, yeah. He was coming off a season that made it look like it was a really good possibility, too. 

Hasn't been around for a long time. You got me...

Yeah, we did. But at least they signed him right away. Callahan, I would agree, is definitely expendable. Not only would letting Meredith walk be a classless move, it leave a hole in the roster to boot. Let's hope Pace does the right thing. 

I’m sure Pace already knows what he’s going to do. We’re just stuck at his mercy. ?‍♂️

Still be floored if they let him go fetch an offer, then after he gets a TOTALLY reasonable and affordable multi-year sheet on the market, and then refuse to match. Not only would it not make sense but it would really go against the grain from everything else he’s done this offseason. 

Remember NO matched our offer sheet to RFA TE Josh Hill 2 offseasons ago after taking their time with it. I wonder if how they responded to our sheet then impacts our timeline in announcing our intentions here. Also, Pace is assuredly busy right now with board finalization and player visits. Gotta think once he has reviewed the offer sheet the process for him to notify the league of a match takes like 10 minutes. 

8 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

You guys seem pretty big on Meredith. Was/is he expected to be a big contributor for you guys this season?

I personally think he would be 2nd or at worst 3rd in targets this season for us. Robinson clearly should be the leader, but I think he demands the number 2 CB, so Burton might get it due to mismatches. Meredith was dominant in the slot, playing the Colston role very well.

Archived