Saints sign Bears WR Cameron Meredith to offer sheet

CBears019

If the Bears valued him that much, they wouldve put more than an original round tender on him, especially considering he was undrafted.

I still think they match...IMO they would be stupid not to, but they shouldve put a 2nd round tender on him.   Not like they dont have cap room.

On 4/6/2018 at 11:34 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

I understand the rules man. But you're not understanding my point here. No team had made him an offer for him to decline in the first place.

These visits are basically a like a job interview. The player goes in and talks with staff and they continue to get a feel for one another and talk about how he is going to be utilized in their offense, the amount of snaps he is likely to receive, etc. and then they both decide on whether or not they are a good enough fit to start talking brass tax. If not, the player leaves and moves on and waits for another team that is interested. 

You're trying to say that each team that he has visited has made him an offer and he just waiting it out and that is not the case here.

From all reports, this is the likely scenario for at least the Colts and with the Ravens it may still be up in the air. 

Again, you have no way of knowing this.   You can't tell if a team has made another offer or not - because if it's not accepted by the receiver, it's not officially on the books.

And in this case, your own beat reporter confirms other offers were made:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-cameron-meredith-saints-offer-20180408-story.html - BAL was confirmed by Brad Biggs to have made an offer - Meredith just chose to sign the NO tender.  Again, we don't hear about the other offers..because if they aren't signed by the player, there's no disclosure necessary.   Meredith shopped around, and went with NO.   To say that no one else offered to him, there is literally no way you can tell - but the multiple visits clearly showed the demand.  This just confirms it.

14 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

No the plan was to let these guys go out and find out their true market value.  It had nothing to do with saving a $1m for a cap flush team.

That’s a bad plan if that $1m isn’t an issue

8 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

That’s a bad plan if that $1m isn’t an issue

I believe the plan was to get multiyear deals done at fmv.  But with Meredith and Fuller, it was a bit of a mystery what fmv was. Being just 2 years kinda sucks, im thinking they wanted to get at least 4, but it is what it is.

On 4/7/2018 at 11:16 AM, JetsandI said:

Thanks.

Still, the RFA system is essentially an ERFA-plus system thanks to the way the rest of the teams deal (or more accurately, don't deal) with the players.

On 4/8/2018 at 3:44 PM, FourThreeMafia said:

If the Bears valued him that much, they wouldve put more than an original round tender on him, especially considering he was undrafted.

I still think they match...IMO they would be stupid not to, but they shouldve put a 2nd round tender on him.   Not like they dont have cap room.

I think they were hoping for someone to give a 3 year deal for $5-6 mil per year. No one would give him an offer for a 2nd IMO.  To me it feels like they were trying to get a team to give a small offer, because if he is healthy and plays well this year Chicago will have to pay substantially more to try and keep him. They would have saved money this year, but over the next two years would have to spend more than they would on the hopeful deal.

Still, I'm happier with him on a 2 year deal than one year at a small contract. Adds depth, and in case Gabriel or Burton end up flopping we have a proven talent who is a solid #2. Don't have to force anything this year if we keep him.

23 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Again, you have no way of knowing this.   You can't tell if a team has made another offer or not - because if it's not accepted by the receiver, it's not officially on the books.

1) All we have to go on are reports. If a player visits another team and no reports are made about a contract being offered then it's safe to say that said team didn't not make any offers. This is much safer bet than just blindly stating that the player did in fact receive an offer. 

2) If this is your stance on the matter, then what were your assumptions that he received offers after every visit based on then? This sounds like a kettle pot to me. 

And in this case, your own beat reporter confirms other offers were made:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-cameron-meredith-saints-offer-20180408-story.html - BAL was confirmed by Brad Biggs to have made an offer - Meredith just chose to sign the NO tender. 

So you come back to the thread when the report was put out AFTER the fact just to try to prove a point. I even said that the Ravens were still up in the air. Colts did not. 

but the multiple visits clearly showed the demand.This just confirms it.

I suppose 3 visits and only 2 offers for a player in almost a full month shows "demand"(only by way of technical term) but that is far from high demand. I'm not sure why you keep saying this but I think it has something to do with him not receiving the amount of high interest as you thought he would and you're not willing to admit that you were wrong on this.

4 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I think they were hoping for someone to give a 3 year deal for $5-6 mil per year. No one would give him an offer for a 2nd IMO.  To me it feels like they were trying to get a team to give a small offer, because if he is healthy and plays well this year Chicago will have to pay substantially more to try and keep him. They would have saved money this year, but over the next two years would have to spend more than they would on the hopeful deal.

Still, I'm happier with him on a 2 year deal than one year at a small contract. Adds depth, and in case Gabriel or Burton end up flopping we have a proven talent who is a solid #2. Don't have to force anything this year if we keep him.

This is about where I'm at with it too.

While I still think Pace should have gave him a 2nd round tender, I didn't like the 1 year. Even before this, I would've been fine with a 2 or 3 yr deal but nothing lower and definitely not more than that.

5 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This is about where I'm at with it too.

While I still think Pace should have gave him a 2nd round tender, I didn't like the 1 year. Even before this, I would've been fine with a 2 or 3 yr deal but nothing lower and definitely not more than that.

That's definitely fair. My concern with the 2nd round tender is if Robinson goes down then he assumes the #1 role. If he does well then he is looking at $8-10 mil on the open market at least. So we get him cheap one year then lose him the next. This will protect us if a WR goes down. 

But with this 2 year deal if Burton or Gabriel flop they can be let go and their cap hits can go toward Meredith if he thrives in Nagy' s system. We need to keep as many options for Tru as possible. 

50 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

1) All we have to go on are reports. If a player visits another team and no reports are made about a contract being offered then it's safe to say that said team didn't not make any offers. This is much safer bet than just blindly stating that the player did in fact receive an offer. 

2) If this is your stance on the matter, then what were your assumptions that he received offers after every visit based on then? This sounds like a kettle pot to me. 

So you come back to the thread when the report was put out AFTER the fact just to try to prove a point. I even said that the Ravens were still up in the air. Colts did not. 

I suppose 3 visits and only 2 offers for a player in almost a full month shows "demand"(only by way of technical term) but that is far from high demand. I'm not sure why you keep saying this but I think it has something to do with him not receiving the amount of high interest as you thought he would and you're not willing to admit that you were wrong on this.

The same reports said he was going around shopping for offers.   We know at least 2 were made.   There in fact could be more - which to be clear you were posting absolute certainty on there being none.   So let’s not go with the “not admitting you were wrong” angle here - unless you are looking in the mirror.   

The fact remains this was a 1M error in judgment.   If this was a slam dunk Pace would have already matched it.   Maybe they will or maybe they let him walk - but the time taken so far without a decision and Biggs’ piece clearly confirms this decision led them to a place where it’s not clear what to do.

Your own beat reporter Biggs has refuted the notion that the original round tender was made to let them swoop in and match any offer, as been put forth.    His very words.   So maybe you can’t admit that this was just a bad 1M decision.  Just saying.   You can spin it any way you want to - but I’ll take your own beat reporter’s take on it.   

12 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

which to be clear you were posting absolute certainty on

Yep. The same way that you were posting absolute certainty that he was receiving multiple offers BEFORE any report. Again, this a kettle pot.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yep. The same way that you were posting absolute certainty that he was receiving multiple offers BEFORE any report. Again, this a kettle pot.

PFT said he was getting visits and weighing offers for the best one.    Which I pointed out we wouldn’t hear about until after he accepted one.  Which has been borne out.   But m’kay.  

Archived