Sign in to follow this  
Silver&Black88

Donald Penn Hold Out

4 posts in this topic

https://www.silverandblackpride.com/2017/8/5/16102590/donald-penn-making-plans-to-continue-holdout-from-raiders-camp-reportedly-wants-top-ten-lt-money

Basically nothing new in that article but we don't have a thread on it here yet so here we are. 

Anyone think he holds out into the regular season if he doesn't get a deal?  Personally I think we should just bump his bonus to assuage his greed or restructure to give him some incentives for more money.  I guess maybe I wouldn't call him greedy since he never got a top LT contract, but this hold out is kinda lame

I was reading some reports earlier and it sounds like both sides are set in their ways. Raiders won't negotiate unless he returns to camp, and Penn won't return without a contract. Our LT situation looks pretty poor without the big guy. I find myself pretty torn on the situation. I get that he is underpaid, is entering the last year of his contract, and this will probably be his last big payday. However the timing is extremely poor for us and he always preached being a team player and it being a leader/example for others. This move looks bad on his part tbh.

I don't think this holdout makes it past week 3 of preseason personally. Someone will give in and I think that person will be Penn.

NickButera    4

Reggie wouldn't let this go into the regular season, not after spending that much on Carr. Nothing wrong with letting it sit a while though, Penn doesn't need camp as much, and would probably be taking a lot of veterans days off anyway. I'd be surprised if this isn't finished by preseason game 3, to still give him time to get his feet wet in pads and get some football conditioning and practices in. 

agarcia34    0

I don;t think there is anything to worry about until we get to the third preseason game cause IMO that would need to be a game where he needs to play just to get his timing down. Like Nick said he is a vet he doesn't need a lot of camp time.It will be interesting to see how the Raiders handle this with Carr in the preseason with Penn out. Will they play it safe or will they still play him.