RD1 pick you don't want them to take

3rivers

Everyone has mocks and the draft discussions have many different players we should take based on needs.  But is there a player you have a bad feeling about that the FO would take?  Are there reports of the FO liking a player that is say another jarvis/dupree, Hood,  etc?  We can't have another wasted RD1 pick, unless we hit in the later rounds but those players won't get a chance this year anyways unless injuries force the issue.

Unpopular, but I do not like Evans in the 1st.  Injury history. I see almost no difference between him and Malik Jefferson other than Jefferson is more athletic.

But as always I am often wrong on draft choices.

Last year on a similar thread I said Kizer and Ross. 

This year, I'd say:

Hubbard, Gesicki, & Lamar Jackson

Hubbard and Gesicki are good players but not 1st rd talents imo.  Jackson is maybe a better version of Josh Dobbs.  Mobile with a good arm.  57% comp in college scares me, as does 13 on the Wonderlic.

I'd be OK with any position that makes the team better NOW while we still have Ben and Bell.  Even Guice I wouldn't be mad about because if Bell gets hurt, we can't afford a big drop-off at RB.  Ditto WR.  

I'm not in favor of Rudolph, but if they are high enough on him to think he is the heir apparent, I guess I could live with it.  (despite what I said about winning NOW)  But I think it is unlikely anyway.

There's many I don't want. This draft has a really good shot to be disappointing to many like the 09' draft was, I just don't see a deep talent pool. 

That said, I don't want anyone that's not Mason Rudolph. He's absolutely the real deal. From what little you can garner from a prospect on the outside, from what I've seen he has the mind of Manning, and has Roethlisberger traits for extending plays. These teams passing on him in round 1 will be kicking themselves.

2 hours ago, Armsteeld2 said:

I have a few I wouldn't like:

Leighton Vander Esch

Derrius Guice

Mason Rudolph

Jessie Bates

Any TE

Funny thing is, two of these guys I like if we get to 28 and everyone we like to that point is gone.  I would be happy to be early 2nd and an extra pick elsewhere, and get Guice or Rudolph.

Lamar Jackson.  Barf. 

My takes on recent 1st round picks on draft day:

17.  Watt.  Awesome.  My dream pick once McCaffrey was gone.

16.  Burns.  Not who I wanted but basically indifferent on him.  I wanted Vernon Hargreaves, Darron Lee & William Jackson more, but they were gone.  Given who was left, I would've taken Cody Whitehair, Deion Jones or Sterling Shephard.  Would've been screwed at CB then, so Burns was an understandable need/reach.  I thought Jones & Shazier would've made a crazy ILB duo.

15.  Dupree.  Not a fan, but at least he had upside.  I liked Eric Rowe.  

14.  Shazier.  Awesome.  I wanted Odell Beckham but he was a great consolation prize.

13.  Jones.  Barf.  Barf.  Barf.  I wanted Xavier Rhodes, followed up by Jamie Collins (which would've meant no Bell).

12.  DeCastro.  Great pick.  I was hoping for Riley Rieff or Harrison Smith but DeCastro was a great consolation prize.  He was in my top 3.

11.  Heyward.  Great pick.  I was hoping for JJ Watt but he flew up the draft boards.  Given who was available I can't think of anyone better.

10.  Pouncey.  Good pick.  I liked Gronk, but wouldn't have taken him in 1.  I think Bulaga was the guy I wanted to protect Ben better.  Woops.

9.  Hood.  Barf, Barf, Barf.  I hated everything I saw out of him at the senior bowl and such.  Spinnerooni is what I called him.  When did you ever see a 5-tech constantly do spin moves?  Probably the most stupid, asinine pick the Steelers have made in my lifetime.  I wanted James Laurinaitis, Connor Barwin or William Moore.  

8.  Mendenhall.  Wasn't impressed, but I thought he would be a fairly decent RB.  I really wanted Jordy Nelson.  

7.  Timmons.  I hated that pick.  I thought he was a horrible fit for a 34, and he was when they used him at OLB.  I wanted Leon Hall (once Revis was gone), Joe Staley, Paul Posluszny or Eric Weddle.  

15 minutes ago, Magnus-Viktor said:

Lamar Jackson.  Barf. 

My takes on recent 1st round picks on draft day:

17.  Watt.  Awesome.  My dream pick once McCaffrey was gone.

16.  Burns.  Not who I wanted but basically indifferent on him.  I wanted Vernon Hargreaves, Darron Lee & William Jackson more, but they were gone.  Given who was left, I would've taken Cody Whitehair, Deion Jones or Sterling Shephard.  Would've been screwed at CB then, so Burns was an understandable need/reach.  I thought Jones & Shazier would've made a crazy ILB duo.

15.  Dupree.  Not a fan, but at least he had upside.  I liked Eric Rowe.  

14.  Shazier.  Awesome.  I wanted Odell Beckham but he was a great consolation prize.

13.  Jones.  Barf.  Barf.  Barf.  I wanted Xavier Rhodes, followed up by Jamie Collins (which would've meant no Bell).

12.  DeCastro.  Great pick.  I was hoping for Riley Rieff or Harrison Smith but DeCastro was a great consolation prize.  He was in my top 3.

11.  Heyward.  Great pick.  I was hoping for JJ Watt but he flew up the draft boards.  Given who was available I can't think of anyone better.

10.  Pouncey.  Good pick.  I liked Gronk, but wouldn't have taken him in 1.  I think Bulaga was the guy I wanted to protect Ben better.  Woops.

9.  Hood.  Barf, Barf, Barf.  I hated everything I saw out of him at the senior bowl and such.  Spinnerooni is what I called him.  When did you ever see a 5-tech constantly do spin moves?  Probably the most stupid, asinine pick the Steelers have made in my lifetime.  I wanted James Laurinaitis, Connor Barwin or William Moore.  

8.  Mendenhall.  Wasn't impressed, but I thought he would be a fairly decent RB.  I really wanted Jordy Nelson.  

7.  Timmons.  I hated that pick.  I thought he was a horrible fit for a 34, and he was when they used him at OLB.  I wanted Leon Hall (once Revis was gone), Joe Staley, Paul Posluszny or Eric Weddle.  

considering their scheme back then,  Hood pick made no sense at all . To waste a RD1 like that was a bad move. Jarvis too, a waste but he did have a productive NCAA career. Timmons was useless at OLB so if they thought he was going to play that and was the reason he was the RD1 pick, another fail.  Still waiting for Burns to solidify starter status, but as of now he is a disappointment. We blame mitchell for secondary miscommunication, but this year we won't blame him and Burns has his chance.  I too was hoping they would draft VHG3.

Archived