RD1 pick you don't want

beardown3231

Stole this from the Steelers board, but who's the one guy at 8 that you DON'T want Pace to draft, and why?

I'll kick it off and say Nelson. I think he could be great but he could be like the other top 10 G's picked over the last 20 years and stink. If Hiestand is as great as they say, picking one in round 2 or 4 should be enough.

Vita Vea, who they're meeting with today, would be pretty underwhelming as well.

- Vea - I don't see him as a 3rd down threat, I think he turns out to be a bit better than Goldman vs the run, but not as good vs the pass. Has value, but not at 8 if he can't rush the passer. I'd take him in the 20's without hesitation though.

- Any WR at 8.

- The OTs. If Trey Adams was in this draft, I'd be all over him but I think the gap between the OTs is smaller than most. I'd be fine with a trade back and netting one though.

I'm going to say Vita Vea and Calvin Ridley. Not saying they wont be solid NFL players but I just think they'd be pretty underwhelming picks.  At #8 I'm looking for a home run not just a solid player.

Nelson, there's too much 'Nelson to the Bears' talk that it seems like he's already on our roster and my gut tells me he won't be as god as advertised.  'Experts' act as if he's already in the Hall of Fame.  I fear we're going to trade up to get him, and I don't want us to trade up from 8 at all.  I'd rather draft a center and move Whitehair to LG.  Not to mention, there were a couple OGs selected very high(Cooper, Warmack) and both are on their 2nd or 3rd teams after just a few years. 

I'll be disappointed with the following:

Minkah-S: I just don't see his scheme fit for us at all

Davenport-OLB: a 4-3 End trying to play 3-4 OLB with no hint of edge bend?

Emunds-ILB: Guy with no instinct, and without meeting him I have no way of knowing if it's youth/inexperience or stupidity.

Roquan Smith-ILB: His size is a concern in run support, imo.... and I don't see the generational level player that makes me want an ILB that high.

Of those 4, I'd be most disappointed with Minkah, and it's not really close...

Davenport, I'd just say Vic knows what he wants and apparently he wants a big dude with no bend bullrushing... Fine.

Edmunds, I'd just say that he showed in meetings that he can be taught what he doesn't know, fine

Smith, I understand more than the rest because he plays fast, Kwit is a liability in coverage, and Trevethan is old.

With Minkah, I just can't see how he fits in to our team, no matter how hard I try.

Nelson for me as well, UNLESS he’s gonna play tackle. I think he’s gonna be a good pro and maybe a great one for a long time but I also think that of several of the OG/C I expect available in round 2 will be 10-year staple players, especially under Hiestand’s tutelage. I HATE the value on Nelson. 

Outside of Nelson I’m not at all excited about Vita Vea either. 

Archived