RD1 pick you don't want

beardown3231

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Not pigeon holing him as a nickel only - just see two guys on brand new big multi-year contracts making a combined $23M per already set to start at his position and seeing it unlikely either of them gets only nickel reps. 

I actually think Fuller fits pretty well at nickel. If they'd put him and his 4/56 deal at nickel is a different story.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I think Prince would probably be the guy who comes off in base.

I am not sure they are going to want to move Amos to the bench.

They just gave Prince $18M guaranteed. I’d be surprised if he came off at all unless injured. As for Amos, his PFF rating aside he’s got 1 INT in 3 years (on a tipped pass) and is set to be a UFA next year. I don’t think they wanna get rid of him, but he’s likely getting a good sized contract next offseason, we can’t pay EVERYONE, and I’d much rather we paid Goldman if we had to choose. Both Minkah and James project as better players overall than Amos with more playmaking skills, and would be locked in at less than Amos’ FA rate through 2022. 

6 minutes ago, G08 said:

Ditto. Isn't that bizarre?

I just try to keep an open mind, and aside from 2017, Fuller was mediocre. Amukamara, meanwhile, has played in more than 14 games ONCE in 7 years. Even if Fuller and Amukamara are great again and play all 16, it doesn't take away the fact that they 1) need to build depth, 2) we still have no clue what's going on with Callahan and 3) eventually, they'll need an up and coming corner, which Ward can be. Even if it's a Roby/Talib/Harris situation, that's a good problem to have.

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

They just gave Prince $18M guaranteed. I’d be surprised if he came off at all unless injured. As for Amos, his PFF rating aside he’s got 1 INT in 3 years (on a tipped pass) and is set to be a UFA next year. I don’t think they wanna get rid of him, but he’s likely getting a good sized contract next offseason, we can’t pay EVERYONE, and I’d much rather we paid Goldman if we had to choose. Both Minkah and James project as better players overall than Amos with more playmaking skills, and would be locked in at less than Amos’ FA rate through 2022. 

We won’t have to choose. It was already reported this offseason that they talked to Amos about an extension. They could replace him with James, but it would be a bit of a surprise.

As for Prince, he would still be the lowest investment CB. Fuller makes way more and Ward would be the 8th overall pick.

My guess is Ward would start the season on the sideline in base, but would quickly take over that role.

I have no issue moving Fuller to NB when they go to that personnel group. I am not benching him in base. Prince would come in and play outside Fuller would move inside.

5 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I just try to keep an open mind, and aside from 2017, Fuller was mediocre. Amukamara, meanwhile, has played in more than 14 games ONCE in 7 years. Even if Fuller and Amukamara are great again and play all 16, it doesn't take away the fact that they 1) need to build depth, 2) we still have no clue what's going on with Callahan and 3) eventually, they'll need an up and coming corner, which Ward can be. Even if it's a Roby/Talib/Harris situation, that's a good problem to have.

Agree having 3 legit CBs is a massive positive to have in the NFL right now.

It is one of 2 defensive positions I think it is okay to over invest in,

2 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Agree having 3 legit CBs is a massive positive to have in the NFL right now.

It is one of 2 defensive positions I think it is okay to over invest in,

You can argue CB3 is a starter, too. It's why I'm warming up to Ward/Fitzpatrick. I think one of those dudes will be there at 8.

The NFL is now a "make significant moves to become a championship team within three years of being hired or you're gone" kind of league so I sincerely doubt we go guard with the first pick. A guard isn't going to lead a team to a quick championship and therefore won't be the pick imo. It is a good position to be good at but when you're limited in your time of becoming great there is really no shot of taking a player that doesn't have potential to be a household name imo. Just my drunk opinion. 

20 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Apparently Denzel Ward is the hottest player in the draft and a bunch of teams in the top 10 are eyeing him.

At first I started writing a post that said guys getting hot and cold is ridiculous.   Then I thought about it some more.   Do guys get hot and cold?   Or are those swings just outsiders trying to predict the draft?   I imagine teams have their boards already for most part.  Of course trouble or injury could change things drastically.   A fantastic or possibly a terrible interview at a visit may bump or drop a player some, but not much.  Its media and online boards that get hot and cold.  Granted that is in response to rumors and leaks, none of which can be trusted because you don't know which are false flags.  People seize on tiny comments by insiders and extrapolate them.

But then I think to myself coaches aren't involved in scouting until after the season when bulk of a teams big board is already set.  Now they are watching tape too and they have opinions.  They start chirping and pounding the table for this guy or that guy and maybe a GM will change his board for a coach.  Maybe he trusts the coach, but also coaches are ego maniacs and can make self fulfilling prophecy.  

In other words if coach took a strong position that they want no part of player X that the GM and scouts liked, he may consciously or subconsciously sabotage that player.  If a GM drafts a player coach really liked, coach will do everything to make that guy succeed.  People like to be right and hate to be wrong.  GMs are aware of this unless they have no clue of human nature.   I'm the cook they say, and I want to have some say in the groceries.  You can hurt yourself and your team as a GM by taking guys your coach doesn't like.      

I've always felt, based on several off hand public comments by Pace, that Pace was highly pressured by Fangio and Fox to draft Floyd.  I don't think they had much say in other picks, but that was one they really wanted and pushed for and used their capital and influence on.  

If Pace hadn't make that choice, he may have lost the trust and confidence of his coaches a bit.  They may have felt they weren't being given fair chance to win ball games in their eyes.  The choice made them happy and valued.    

Next season when he drafted MT, they had to have seen writing on the wall.  No impact player was coming to save them and a rookie QB is generally a reset button.  They aren't morons and they were resigned to this being a last season together.  All though Fangio and defensive staff came back.  

So maybe guys do get hot and cold.

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I've always felt, based on several off hand public comments by Pace, that Pace was highly pressured by Fangio and Fox to draft Floyd.  I don't think they had much say in other picks, but that was one they really wanted and pushed for and used their capital and influence on.  

Not sure to which comments you are referring but I’ve never personally felt that way. Pace has always come across to me as the great consensus builder with Trubisky (the one guy to whom his career arch is tied) being the lone real exception. 

Archived