Who do you believe are the best young QBs?

Chargers

14 minutes ago, bzane said:

That's right!

My whole world turned around when I made the decision to let Carson into my life. Now, any time I am troubled, I can take it to Carson, and He will show the way. I have a close, personal relationship with Carson; I usually call him on Tuesday nights. Sometimes we go Bowling. But since I gave myself over to Carson I understand that He has a Plan for everything, like why my wife left me and everybody hates my guts; He will make it all clear in His own time.

All i am saying is there is another guy who came back much earlier than expected from a devestating injury and he did some pretty memorable stuff. I think they wrote a book about him....

Patiently awaiting frenzied eleventh-hour write-in vote for Geno Smith from Geno's Biggest Fan, proclaiming his candidacy!

Many desperate posts explaining in 10,000 Words Or Less why Geno Smith (after all, still a boyish 27, and only entering his 6th season) should be accepted beyond a doubt as Best Young QB-!

A Lone Voice, crying out for understanding!

And- for all I know- he may be right!!

"WHOOPS!"

Image result for Geno Smith

Jared Goff - On a good team and showing real promise to be in the hunt for greatness

Carson Wentz - Ditto for Wentz

Derek Carr - We will see this season if he has completely recovered from his injuries and progresses to the next level

Marcus Mariota - due for a real breakout season

Jimmy Garoppolo - Showed real signs last season of having real solid potential for maybe greatness, certainly has the HC needed for that

Jameis Winston - I never was a fan, but he is still quite capable of a breakout season

Mitchell Trubisky - This guy could leapfrog quite a few of those listed above him in a year or 2

Deshaun Watson - Solid, but I am not sure greatness is a possibility

Patrick Mahomes - When Andy Reid likes your potential, you have to suspect, he has what it takes

Sam Darnold - Head and shoulders above the other 3 QB's in this year's draft, so the raw potential is there

The next two generational pair of QBs are going to be:

1. Wentz

2. Watson

Depending on Luck's health (if hes even 90% I see him as the best for the next decade or so). Also Wilson I think will hover around top 3-5, just behind Wentz and Watson.

And then I see the other young and 2018 draftees end up being like....

Goff: Top 10 QB at worst, as good as 5th-7th best for a decade plus. Similar career to Matt Ryan (except I see him winning a SB but with more of Phillip Rivers' numbers also)

Garrappolo: Fringe elite QB a la Big Ben or Brees. Like them, will never really be considered THE best or one of the two best. But still elite level.

Carr: Inconsistent career, where we see him play at MVP levels for a few seasons, but also has some down years and is considered an underachiever like Rivers (very talented but might struggle to manage to just be consistently great and win the SB)

*IF HEALTHY* Bridgewater: Top 10-12 guy. Someone good enough to win with, but needs the right team to win it all. 

For the rookies of this year....

I think Rosen will end up being a top 5-7 QB. And Lamar Jackson, if he is drafted by a team that will be smart enough to build their offense around him and his strengths, could be someone who sneakily is very good year to year. A rich mans Tyrod but with much more passing ability esp. downfield. And Darnold I see being actually like Eli Manning. A QB who is capable of making incredible stretches of play every now and again but ultimately will also manage to just keep making boneheaded mistakes.

Josh Allen and Mayfield I dont see doing much of anything. Mayfield has a shot at being like a solid starter. But Allen will be a bust

4 hours ago, Iamcanadian said:

Jared Goff - On a good team and showing real promise to be in the hunt for greatness

Carson Wentz - Ditto for Wentz

Derek Carr - We will see this season if he has completely recovered from his injuries and progresses to the next level

Marcus Mariota - due for a real breakout season

Jimmy Garoppolo - Showed real signs last season of having real solid potential for maybe greatness, certainly has the HC needed for that

Jameis Winston - I never was a fan, but he is still quite capable of a breakout season

Mitchell Trubisky - This guy could leapfrog quite a few of those listed above him in a year or 2

Deshaun Watson - Solid, but I am not sure greatness is a possibility

Patrick Mahomes - When Andy Reid likes your potential, you have to suspect, he has what it takes

Sam Darnold - Head and shoulders above the other 3 QB's in this year's draft, so the raw potential is there

I hope Darnold makes it, I'm not sure USC can take another dud of QB. Kesseler, Sanchez, Barkely, Linert. Palmer was so long ago most forgot, with how his career turned into a journeyman.

26 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

The next two generational pair of QBs are going to be:

1. Wentz

2. Watson

Depending on Luck's health (if hes even 90% I see him as the best for the next decade or so). Also Wilson I think will hover around top 3-5, just behind Wentz and Watson.

And then I see the other young and 2018 draftees end up being like....

Goff: Top 10 QB at worst, as good as 5th-7th best for a decade plus. Similar career to Matt Ryan (except I see him winning a SB but with more of Phillip Rivers' numbers also)

Garrappolo: Fringe elite QB a la Big Ben or Brees. Like them, will never really be considered THE best or one of the two best. But still elite level.

Carr: Inconsistent career, where we see him play at MVP levels for a few seasons, but also has some down years and is considered an underachiever like Rivers (very talented but might struggle to manage to just be consistently great and win the SB)

*IF HEALTHY* Bridgewater: Top 10-12 guy. Someone good enough to win with, but needs the right team to win it all. 

For the rookies of this year....

I think Rosen will end up being a top 5-7 QB. And Lamar Jackson, if he is drafted by a team that will be smart enough to build their offense around him and his strengths, could be someone who sneakily is very good year to year. A rich mans Tyrod but with much more passing ability esp. downfield. And Darnold I see being actually like Eli Manning. A QB who is capable of making incredible stretches of play every now and again but ultimately will also manage to just keep making boneheaded mistakes.

Josh Allen and Mayfield I dont see doing much of anything. Mayfield has a shot at being like a solid starter. But Allen will be a bust

Drew Brees is a fringe Elite QB? The man holds the record for most 5000 yards in a season. How is that fringe? Big Ben has been putting up inflated stats but he is Elite when he isn't facing the Patriots

6 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

All i am saying is there is another guy who came back much earlier than expected from a devestating injury and he did some pretty memorable stuff. I think they wrote a book about him....

Who?

I dont see any of the young QBs as being "generational" talents.    Wentz is real good, but he has been great for a total of ONE year to this point.    I honestly see him being much closer in talent to Matt Ryan than I do guys like Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers.

Obviously, these things can change, but as of right now, I dont see any young QBs coming close to what we have seen from the big 4 of the last 20 years (Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers).    

10 hours ago, DeSean Jackson said:

Wentz... he’s better then goff at everything.

then Watson 

The best ability is availability and Wentz isn’t better than Goff at that. While I wish no injuries on nobody, Wentz got hurt in college and he got hurt right out the gate in the preseason in his rookie season. Now he is trying to come back from a serious injury for this upcoming season.

There are a lot of talented players who were extremely talented but due to injury issues couldn’t stay on the field enough to showcase it. So I don’t know if Wentz has to change his playing style because running around like that is not good unless you are Wilson and even then you still concerned. 

So yeah I love me Wentz and think he is one the best young QBs in the NFL. I’m not going to lower Goff because he is talented too and his availability is more surer than what appears to be Wentz. To me they are 1a and 1b and I’ve had them that way since the draft and see no reason to change it. 

My list of the best young QBs are this:

1a and 1b Goff and Wentz

3 Watson

4 Carr

5 Mahomes

I didn’t include Jimmy G because I got to see more of him outside of the Pats organization. While I do think he could be the first QB to have great success leaving the Pats and Belichick hated trade him plus Jimmy G is with the right coach in Shanny, I just want to see more as I didn’t know about the prospect coming out of college and only seen a small sample from him in the NFL. As much as I love Winston he has got to show me more because he has been a disappointment to me. Mariota took a step back and while people will point to the injury just like in Carr situation, if you are going to play injured you better know what you are doing by making that decision. I got Carr in my top 5 because of John Gruden. If you notice one theme with my top 5, talented QBs with great coaching for them. Goff (McVay), Wentz (Pederson), Watson (O’Brien), Carr (Gruden/Olson), Mahomes (Reid). 

I didn’t include any of the rookie prospects because I don’t know what team they are going too. That’s extremely important for fit and coaching. Plus those players hasn’t even taken a single practice snap yet. 

I was worried a few years ago about what the NFL would look like when the old guard retires, but I think we're in a very good position now. I think there are a lot of promising young QBs. And this is a strong QB draft, which should only add to that. We shouldn't have a shortage of quality QB play in the coming years. As for the QBs whom I think have the ability to be special, Wentz and Goff stand out to me in that regard. I don't want to mention any of the draft prospects until they actually play in the NFL. I still believe in Winston and Mariota being franchise QBs as well. But Wentz and Goff are the two guys whom I think can be the leaders of the next generation.

As I said when they were draft prospects, as talented as Wentz is, I'm taking Goff. I think Goff has the potential to be the next Peyton Manning. He has the mental acuity, he has the mental processing speed, he has the feet and pocket presence, he has the accuracy, he has the arm strength, and he has the leadership skills. The fun part is that Wentz could be the next Rodgers. He's exceptionally gifted. But I prefer the way Goff plays the game.

Archived