Mock Draft 2.0

big9erfan

Been over a month since my first mock. So it's time for an updated version. Been wanting to do this for a week now but have had the hardest time deciding on our first pick. Maybe harder than any other year.  After going back and forth countless times I've decided edge rush is our biggest problem and I'm going to tyry to fix it. The rest is just filling in some pieces. Comments surely welcome!

1- Marcus Davenport ... Don't really need to explain this. He has tremendous upside and can be that ingredient our defense needs to take the next step. Also considered Landry, Edmonds and Smith. Won't go into all my thought process but just decided that if Davenport reaches his potential he'll improve our defense more than the other guys

2 - Lorenzo Carter ... Like I said I'm trying to fix our pass rush. Hard to say what his best spot is, but I'm taking him as our Sam. Seeing him and Davenport occasionally crashing in from the edges will be a site for sore eyes

3a - Austen Corbett ... I'm not a believer in any of the three potential starters we have a G. Besides there's still the Brown contract coming up and Corbett might be able to play RT

3b - Equanimeous St. Brown ... seems like the experts don't like him as much as I do and it looks like he'll be availabel here.  Excited to be able to get him here

4 - Oren Burks ... still worried about the long term future of Foster, plus our other options aren't good Burks looks like he has a shot to be a solid contributor

5 - Anthony Averett ... at worst he's a gunner replacement for Mostert but hopefully he can work his way into being a solid backup CB. Always trying to improve overall team speed

6 - Armani Watts ... if we're playing Ward at CB, or letting him go when his contract is up then we should be looking to add a S. Watts can be really good if he gets coached up some.

7a - Ben Toth ... great potential here and I'm willing to wait on it if he has to do active service.  He'll be ready just in time to see if he can replace Joe

7b - Sutton Smith ... probably no one has heard of him and sure he's too small to play pass rusher in the NFL. But he's got more impressive film than Chubb or Davenport or anyoine else.  Probably someone will sign him as an UDFA, but this low in the 7th I'll just guarantee I get him and see what he can do at the next level

Not huge on Davenport but I get it. Love the second and third round picks. Not super high and Brown but I get the upside and would be fine with the pick. Also feels like he might fit Shanny's profile a bit. 

Oren Burks does not seem like he's worth the fourth round pick, but I get it. He has some upside. 

I'm doing my mock and have Avery and Armani Watts going in the third. I Think both have a fair amount of upside as a FS, but if we grabbed him in the sixth, I'd be stoked if they were available in the fifth and sixth rounds. Unlikely, but who knows. 

If Brett Toth is available late in the draft, which he might be (since, as you mentioned, he has two years left of mandatory active service), then we should jump all over him. If he didn't have the military obligations, I think he would be a 3rd rounder. He doesn't really know how to pass block yet (being as Army passes around 20 times per season), but he is a really athletic run blocker.

3 hours ago, John232 said:

Not huge on Davenport but I get it. Love the second and third round picks. Not super high and Brown but I get the upside and would be fine with the pick. Also feels like he might fit Shanny's profile a bit. 

Oren Burks does not seem like he's worth the fourth round pick, but I get it. He has some upside. 

I'm doing my mock and have Avery and Armani Watts going in the third. I Think both have a fair amount of upside as a FS, but if we grabbed him in the sixth, I'd be stoked if they were available in the fifth and sixth rounds. Unlikely, but who knows. 

Yeah. There are a lot of first round only mocks out there, and a few 2 or 3 rounders.  Not many 7 round ones. So hard for me to know what folks are thinking about guys that aren't going high.

Yeah, I'm in round 5 of my seven round mock and just had Oren Burks go to Indy. I think thats why I decided to just mock for each team so I could get an idea of how a board plays out. It becomes a lot more understandable as to why teams "reach" in the mid to later rounds. 

1 hour ago, struby3 said:

If Brett Toth is available late in the draft, which he might be (since, as you mentioned, he has two years left of mandatory active service), then we should jump all over him. If he didn't have the military obligations, I think he would be a 3rd rounder. He doesn't really know how to pass block yet (being as Army passes around 20 times per season), but he is a really athletic run blocker.

In my first draft I had Brian O'Neill because his athleticism reminded me of Staley. But he's going much higher than I thought.  So I turned to another guy that reminds me some of Staley.

Doing my mock now, based on who is picking, needs, talent and all that stuff. I could see there being a run on any lineman with any sort of upside in the late first to mid second. Someone like Desmond Harrison who is a bit of a project I could see going high. Tyrell Crosby too. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I'm in round 5 of my seven round mock and just had Oren Burks go to Indy. I think thats why I decided to just mock for each team so I could get an idea of how a board plays out. It becomes a lot more understandable as to why teams "reach" in the mid to later rounds. 

Interesting learning experience for you, and fun too. So Burks to Indy in the 5th is just a few picks lower than where I took him with our low 4th.. I might have put Micah Kiser in there but I thought he was going higher. Also considered Dorian O'Daniel. Maybe should taken him instead just because of what he can bring on ST while he's improving his LB play.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

Interesting learning experience for you, and fun too. So Burks to Indy in the 5th is just a few picks lower than where I took him with our low 4th.. I might have put Micah Kiser in there but I thought he was going higher. Also considered Dorian O'Daniel. Maybe should taken him instead just because of what he can bring on ST while he's improving his LB play.

Yeah,, I was looking at Kiser and O'Daniel at that point too. I think Kiser will go in the fifth (still mocking) because he tested pretty damn well.

Burks athletic Profile will push him up into the 4th I think. In my situation, a couple of late drops to teams pushed him into the early 5th. I had us trading back with Miami and grabbing two fourths, and had it not been for an earlier pick, It would have made a lot of sense to pick Burks at that point. But honestly, I wouldn't even be surprised if Burks goes in the late third if it the draft  breaks a certain way. 

I don't think Sutton Smith is in this draft, is he? He had something like 15 sacks last year, but mostly on pure speed. At this point, he looks like a special teamer in the NFL. But as I said, I don't even think he's eligible to be drafted this year.

19 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I don't think Sutton Smith is in this draft, is he? He had something like 15 sacks last year, but mostly on pure speed. At this point, he looks like a special teamer in the NFL. But as I said, I don't even think he's eligible to be drafted this year.

Really? Oh well I thought I'd end my mock with a surpirse pick. Looks like I didn't reseach it enough.

Not trying to hijack your thread (nice job by the way big9erfan) but can anyone recommend a good mock draft simulator. Can't seem to find the one I used and liked in the past and the newer one I found ("fanspeak" I think) always seems to freeze halfway through my mocks. Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Really? Oh well I thought I'd end my mock with a surpirse pick. Looks like I didn't reseach it enough.

You thought you'd catch me off guard with Sutton Smith!?!?!?!?!?!? Haha! You've met your match, big9er! We'll prospect-duel to the death!

Just kidding. I just accidentally came across Sutton Smith a couple of weeks ago, just looking up, as I do most years, the NCAA leaders in tackle for loss. This is usually where I'm hoping to find a diamond in the rough. I saw Smith, but was disappointed by his size, and honestly, his highlights weren't all that exciting. A lot of times he's just unblocked.

1 hour ago, Psychlone said:

Not trying to hijack your thread (nice job by the way big9erfan) but can anyone recommend a good mock draft simulator. Can't seem to find the one I used and liked in the past and the newer one I found ("fanspeak" I think) always seems to freeze halfway through my mocks. Thanks in advance.

I just tried Fanspeak, and it did kinda bug midway through, but I managed to complete it.

jEWzLnt.jpg

I had to settle for Lazard, even though I was going for Ateman, but he was picked just before me. For the rest, I basically went for names I knew. I took O'Neill after missing out on Lorenzo Carter. In this scenario, we traded Trent Brown for a 2019 second rounder and a conditional 2022 7th rounder. Also, I took Byron Pringle, not because I've ever watched him play, but merely because we had a visit and he was actually still there. I'm the happiest with Nelson, Meeks and Avery, and I felt Nichols was great value in the sixth. He could be a steal there. I don't know if Thomas will ever be a great TE, but he's a big guy who moves well, and it's the seventh. I took Nwosu because I really needed a pass rusher in there.

29 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I just tried Fanspeak, and it did kinda bug midway through, but I managed to complete it.

jEWzLnt.jpg

I had to settle for Lazard, even though I was going for Ateman, but he was picked just before me. For the rest, I basically went for names I knew. I took O'Neill after missing out on Lorenzo Carter. In this scenario, we traded Trent Brown for a 2019 second rounder and a conditional 2022 7th rounder. Also, I took Byron Pringle, not because I've ever watched him play, but merely because we had a visit and he was actually still there. I'm the happiest with Nelson, Meeks and Avery, and I felt Nichols was great value in the sixth. He could be a steal there. I don't know if Thomas will ever be a great TE, but he's a big guy who moves well, and it's the seventh. I took Nwosu because I really needed a pass rusher in there.

I really like this draft I love Nelson and had O'Neill in my first draft until he's risen so high.  I almost took Meeks in this one, and I thought about Nwosu.. P.lus Lazzard in 5 is great. That last three are as good as any. Nice draft!

Archived