Jordan Howard trade chatter

turtle28

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

So, Morris didn’t look better than Kelley, Jones or Perine the last two years and wasn’t effective for a suspended Elliot last year?

Then why in 5 starts did he have 115 carries, 547 yards and a 4.8 yd avg last year?

He sure ran up and down against our defense in 2016 and scored TDs on our D. In 2016 he essentially had the game winning TD in our game at home vs Dallas.

In Dallas last year he had 27 carries, 127 yds (a 4.7 yd avg) and a TD vs the Redskins in the game that pretty much ended our playoffs hopes.

He’s a better running back than the guys we kept over him sans Chris Thompson. Hopefully we draft a true starting running back in a few weeks when the draft comes up because I don’t think there’s anything that we don’t need more than a quality starting running back.

Surprisingly, I agree with Turtle here. 

Morris is better than Kelley. Better than Perine. Better than Portis. 

I believe the powers that be (Bruce) saw Morris as a successful RB from the Shanahans which stemmed from the narrative of the relationship between Snyder and Shanny and the mindset that RB's come a dime a dozen. 

I feel it was one of the worst decisions this regime has ever made. 

43 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I believe the powers that be (Bruce) saw Morris as a successful RB from the Shanahans which stemmed from the narrative of the relationship between Snyder and Shanny and the mindset that RB's come a dime a dozen. 

I’m about as big a Morris fan as there is and Portis was 10x the RB Morris was. Portis is probably the best redskins RB of all-time. Yes, I think he was better than Riggins. 

I like the idea of adding Howard but we have a  problem which is  hindering our offensive RG. That problem is Gruden RG strategy.  You can get Morris, Saquon Barkley or who ever you want to add or draft, Gruden offense RG will make them all look horrible. Now when Gruden proves me wrong I say this will be his last yr. Until then the best way to use our first pick in this yrs draft is to start in the trenches. Add some physicality on both side of the LOS. I am sure our next new coach will appreciate this. 

3 hours ago, mike23md said:

You had me until Morris was better than Portis. And it wasn’t this regime that decided not to keep Morris, it was McCloughan - who believed in Matt Jones his 3rd round draft pick from the year before - that decided he didn’t want to keep Morris. There’s a lot of things Bruce Allen has done wrong, but some of the draft picks who didn’t work out in 2015 and 16 like Matt Jones and Sua Cravens wouldn’t be part of them.

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

I like the idea of adding Howard but we have a  problem which is  hindering our offensive RG. That problem is Gruden RG strategy.  You can get Morris, Saquon Barkley or who ever you want to add or draft, Gruden offense RG will make them all look horrible. Now when Gruden proves me wrong I say this will be his last yr. Until then the best way to use our first pick in this yrs draft is to start in the trenches. Add some physicality on both side of the LOS. I am sure our next new coach will appreciate this. 

Part of the problem with the Gruden running game has been the running backs poor vision or how slow they were/are getting to the hole, some missed blocks from the OL or especially the TEs. Our running game has shown flashes of being good since Gruden was hired, it just hasn’t been consistent or consistently used enough. With our passing game being so much better and w/o us having a good or great talent at RB it was always in McVay or Gruden’s nature to go with the passing game more because it was more effective. If we take a rb in round 1 or 2 or we’re able to trade for a talent like Jordan Howard, I fully expect our offense to be more balanced than it was from 2015-17.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Part of the problem with the Gruden running game has been the running backs poor vision or how slow they were/are getting to the hole, some missed blocks from the OL or especially the TEs. Our running game has shown flashes of being good since Gruden was hired, it just hasn’t been consistent or consistently used enough. With our passing game being so much better and w/o us having a good or great talent at RB it was always in McVay or Gruden’s nature to go with the passing game more because it was more effective. If we take a rb in round 1 or 2 or we’re able to trade for a talent like Jordan Howard, I fully expect our offense to be more balanced than it was from 2015-17.

Its funny you say this, cause Alfred Morris had some of the best vision I had seen in a long time. 

12 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Its funny you say this, cause Alfred Morris had some of the best vision I had seen in a long time. 

Not in 2015, he missed a lot of holes. Perhaps it was the changes in schemes and he was adjusting from having run in the ZBS his first 3 years in the league to more man blocking when Callahan was hired to be our run game coordinator in 2015, but whatever it was, Morris’ vision was not as good in 2015 as it had been from 2012-2014.

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Not in 2015, he missed a lot of holes. Perhaps it was the changes in schemes and he was adjusting from having run in the ZBS his first 3 years in the league to more man blocking when Callahan was hired to be our run game coordinator in 2015, but whatever it was, Morris’ vision was not as good in 2015 as it had been from 2012-2014.

Um, the Redskins overdrafted Matt Jones that season and they limited the time that Morris was able to run the ball. Morris was really good when he got into a rhythm. He never lost his vision, he could never get in a rhythm in the running game. 

Yes, schemes tend to set back a RB but Morris still had better vision than any other back I had seen in a while. 

36 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Um, the Redskins overdrafted Matt Jones that season and they limited the time that Morris was able to run the ball. Morris was really good when he got into a rhythm. He never lost his vision, he could never get in a rhythm in the running game. 

Yes, schemes tend to set back a RB but Morris still had better vision than any other back I had seen in a while. 

That’s definitely true, McCloughan did overdraft Matt Jones by two rounds and Morris was forced to split time with Jones which affected Morris’ rhythm but it’s also true that Morris wasn’t as good.

I’m not saying Morris was horrible or anything - even in 2015 - just that the film showed he missed some holes. That’s not even debatable, because it was plain as day that Morris missed some holes in 2015.

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

Josh Norman and a 2nd for Jordan Howard?

History repeats itself.

Norman is a better CB then Bailey was and Howard isn’t as good a RB as Portis this would be a stupid trade!!! I know I’ll get killed for the Bailey comment but that’s my opinion Bailey was good he wasn’t great IMO.

Bailey is the best CB this team has had since Darrell Green. It’s not even close.

The comment was more of a slapstick joke for the majority of the fan base that like to bash the F.O. 

I would be heavily against a trade that included Norman. Definitely don’t include our 2nd.

Archived