turtle28

First Depth Chart Released

Posted (edited)

http://m.redskins.com/news/article-1/Redskins-Release-First-Unofficial-Depth-Chart/c701ae40-1d09-46cd-8f46-467d3003db76

"We feel good about our depth. Like I said, it's the best I've felt about our depth this year in training camp, at every position," said Redskins head coach Jay Gruden at the beginning of camp. "You know, the challenge is going to be to get everybody the reps, let them all compete to find out the best 53, that's the most important thing. We have got to utilize the time out here on the practice fields and in the preseason games, we have to really manage playing time effectively to give these guys opportunities to show what they can do so we pick the right 53 for [Week 1 against] Philly."

The most notable position group in terms of solidifying a depth chart so far has been the defensive line under Jim Tomsula in his first season with the Redskins.

"We're D-line," Tomsula said this week. "We're not nose, end. We're D-line. You get into a game and you've got only so many guys that have got helmets on, and we've got to be able to finish the game, so everybody is going to have to cross train."

QB: Cousins, McCoy, Sudfeld 

RB: Kelley, Thompson, Perine, Jones, Brown, Hilliard

LT: TWill, Nsekhe, Kevin Bowen

LG: Lauvao, Kouandjio, Tyler Catalina 

C: Long, Roullier, Patrick

RG: Scherff, Isaiah Williams, Kyle Kalis

RT: Moses, Painter, Kling 

WR1: Pryor, Harris, Davis, Leverne Jacobs 

WR2: Doctson, Brian Quick, Zach Pascal

WR3: Crowder, Ryan Grant, Matt Hazel, James Quick

TE: Reed (PUP), Davis, Paul, Carrier, Sprinkle, Garner, Bibbs

LDE: Hood, McCLain, Ioannidis, Banks

NT: Taylor, Francis, Mbu, Pipkins

RDE: McGee, Allen, Lanier

SOLB: Smith, Murphy (SUS), Anderson

RILB: Compton, Spaight, Zack Vigil, Pete Robertson 

LILB: Foster, Brown, Harvey-Clemons, Nico Marley

WOLB: Kerrigan, Galette, Lyndon Trail

RCB: Norman, Dunbar, Phillips 

LCB: Breeland, Tevin Homer, Moreau, Jeremiah McKinnon

SLOT: Fuller, Holsey

SS: Cravens, Everett, McLure, Tim Scott 

FS: Swearinger, Hall (PUP), Blackmon, Nicholson  

K: Hopkins

P: Way

LS: Sundberg

Edited by turtle28

Just a FYI @turtle28, your chart and Finlay's (and the one on redskins.com) don't exactly match up.

Using Finlay's list, some thoughts

• Regarding the rookies:
    • All except Jonathan Allen and Chase Rouiller are listed on the third team or deeper. That's motivational for the rooks. I'm completely okay with that.
    • Allen as second teamer is respect for his ability (and perhaps draft status). Okay, it may have something to do with the lack of talent as well.
    • Rouiller as a second teamer is due only to the lack of centers.
    • Of the other rookies, the one that might raise eyebrows being on 3rd team is Anderson. I think that's due to the stack ahead of him (Preston Smith and Trent Murphy). He'll get his chance since Smith is now supposedly in a walking boot.
    • Fish Smithson (UDFA from Kansas) is a 3rd team FS (behind Swearinger and Blackmon). 4th round Montae Nicholson is 4th team behind him.
    • Jeremy Sprinkle is deep on the chart (5th TE behind Davis, Paul, Carrier, and Manasseh Garner). And that isn't even with Reed in the picture. Yikes.
  • Regarding free agent signings:
    • It's somewhat pathetic that Terrell McClain is behind Ziggy Hood. Unlike rookies who have to prove themselves, a veteran free agent (and one who got one of the two big deals the team handed out this offseason) should be a first teamer from the first chart. Especially when the guy he is competing against got a role player's contract (2 years, $2.7M total, $300k signing bonus (the only guaranteed monies)). The fact that he isn't either means he showed up out of shape, isn't putting in the work, or isn't working out. All in all, not a good sign.
    • McGee as a LDE and Taylor as a NT. Interesting. Two things I see with that:
      • If they are both healthy, they'll likely be pretty stout against the run. I'm less sure they'll get any pressure though.
      • The key in that above statement is "if they are both healthy." Neither gentleman has had a good track record of avoiding the training room.
    • Zach Brown is second team behind Foster.
      • One, I'm not happy with Brown with the second teamers, but I'm not as upset about it as I am with McClain. Brown was a late acquisition, but he should be pushing is way up the chart.
      • Two, should Brown make the first team, they would go with a Compton/Brown middle. Not sure how I would feel about that, but I guess they want to keep Compton as the main defensive signal caller.
    • Others
      • Pryor as #1 falls under the "least surprising news" heading.
      • Chris Carter is buried. Again, that's not the surprising.
      • Brian Quick as the 2nd team #2 WR. Hrmm. I guess we'll see what he (doesn't) got if Doctson cannot go against the Ravens.
  • Regarding other players
    • Ioannidis is behind both Hood and McClain. Get out the utensils and get ready to stick a fork in him, he's looking like he's done.
    • Lauvao's still #1 and Kouandjio is still #2. How nice a quality left guard would be right now.
    • I'm rooting for Matt Hazel and James Quick to do something against the Ravens so we can bump Ryan Grant out of the #2 slot receiver role. I don't have much faith there, but a man can dream, can't he?
    • Junior Galette is a second team LOLB. That means he's behind Kerrigan? O.o Why would you put him on the left side?

I don't quite understand the depth chart either woz. As you know they always put these things out before the first preseason game and then they totally look different when the season starts.

It seems they went more with the veteran guys as starters for the first depth chart on defense and burried the new/young guys and rookies deeper on the depth chart.

We'll have to see what happens but like you I was a bit shocked and disappointed to see Hood ahead of McClain but I just figured it was because Hood is in his second year of the defense and knows and has played all the defensive line positions. I didn't necessarily take it as Hood would be starting week 1 and Allen or McClain wouldn't.

The only thing I can think of as a reason that Galette is backing up Kerrigan is because they have a weakside and strong side OLBs and they both would be viewed as weakside guys in our defense with the bigger and longer guy's - Smith and Murphy - on the strong side.

I don't know, I don't read too much into it at this point because I know some of the defensive front is likely to change when the season starts and I believe Brown will be starting over Compton.

The first team consists of veterans and players that we had on the roster last year.  The first team will likely play only one series on Thursday.  Makes sense that we wouldn't need to see those guys as we already know what we have in them.  

11 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The first team consists of veterans and players that we had on the roster last year.  The first team will likely play only one series on Thursday.  Makes sense that we wouldn't need to see those guys as we already know what we have in them.  

I would buy that except that doesn't explain the defensive line. McGee and Taylor are first team guys and neither was here last year. McClain is a new face too but he's a second teamer. They know what they have in Hood, right?

2 hours ago, Woz said:

I would buy that except that doesn't explain the defensive line. McGee and Taylor are first team guys and neither was here last year. McClain is a new face too but he's a second teamer. They know what they have in Hood, right?

He said veterans. I just read an article by Mike Jones about how great Phil Taylor has looked at NT this camp. Mike said he's been very active, splitting double teams to rush the passer, holding up against the run while being double teamed which allows his teammates to be free to go make plays and chasing down ball carriers himself.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/08/07/finally-healthy-nose-tackle-phil-taylor-positioned-to-land-starting-job-with-the-redskins/?utm_term=.d0cd1c1420d0&wpisrc=nl_sports&wpmm=1

As training camp has progressed, Phil Taylor has looked more like the guy that the Cleveland Browns drafted 21st overall in 2011, and not the hobbled player that Cleveland, Denver and other teams wrote off after surgery on his right knee in 2014 and a series of recurring injuries to the same knee in 2015 and 2016.

The 6-foot-3, 343-pounder entered camp third on the depth chart, but in the last week-and-a-half he’s climbed to first while displaying great power, quickness and athleticism.

In the trenches, Taylor has emerged as a disruptive force by clogging run lanes and generating good pressure on the quarterback during one-on-one battles, or by taking on double-teams to free up teammates to make play.

On runs or screen passes to the outside, Taylor displays great athleticism as he runs to the ball, keeping pace with linebackers in pursuit of ball carriers.

“Phil is a big cat that can move, and that cannot be moved,” defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said with a laugh. “He’s doing a really nice job inside. We’ve got a lot of good competition there, and I can’t wait to see us in this first preseason game. But Phil’s doing really well.”

Said defensive line coach Jim Tomsula, “What a story there, huh? … A guy you enjoy being with and his mind-set and the way he’s going about doing this. You telling me Phil Taylor financially has to play football? Don’t you love that? He doesn’t have to play football, so what does that tell you? He’s here for the right reasons. You love that.”

On 8/7/2017 at 10:05 PM, turtle28 said:

Because I'm silly like that, I am pretty sure we have (left to right):

• Four point stance, furthest left - Jonathan Allen
  • Standing, flexing right arm - Anthony Lanier
  • White guy - Matt Ioannidis
  • Four point stance, in foreground center - Ondre Pipkins
  • 92 in background - Stacy McGee
  • Kneeling in background, holding up helmet - Brandon Banks
  • Four point stance, right-center - Joey Mbu
  • Background, arms crossed - Ziggy Hood
  • Four point stance, furthest right - Phil Taylor

Not pictured: A.J. Francis, Terrell McClain

Taylor looks like he's about to maul the cameraman.