Lieker's Mock Draft 2.0

Lieker

I'm not sure it's fair to try comparing Bradford with LVE. One was a mid rounds guy who clearly didn't work out, while the other has definite first round talent. The comparison with CMIII is much more apt. 

14 hours ago, Gopackgonerd said:

You're not gonna draft LVE to play edge. He's not great at blockshedding, or pass rushing unless he's a free runner. He's better in space and chasing down people, good in coverage. Maybe they'll teach him some pass rush moves, but I doubt he's gonna play many snaps at EDGE, not his strength.

Yes, lets stop drafting guys and then try to put them in positions of need like we did with Perry.  If you're gonna go with an Edge guy get one who is proficient at rushing the passer.

22 hours ago, Lieker said:

Is Vander Esch really any different than Clay coming out? Both were explosive more off the ball LB's in college. LVE is a bigger and arguably more explosive Clay. I think he has the potential to be a great EDGE. Worst case a hybrid EDGE/ILB.

Gallup flashes above average athleticism on film and timed well across the board at the combine. Not elite, but more than good enough with his route running ability. Davante Adams in some ways.

Not a fan of Yiadom? Seems to have what we're looking for in a press CB.

Thanks for the feedback!

I do think Vander Esch is different than Clay.   Vander Esch is an inside LB who shows his best in pass defense.   He moves well, and is a good prospect.   I don't see him as more explosive than a young CMIII at all.    I also would want a player who has done it for more than 1 year when investing the 14th pick in the draft.  We have enough injuries that spending high on a player that only was healthy 1 of the 3 seasons seems like a bad idea.    If we have to do that I would be more comfortable on a player who has played the position we are drafting for, not a projection.

Gallup is a decent prospect, but I wouldn't spend a 2nd round choice on him.  We have too many needs on defense, and the 2nd pick needs to go to a higher level prospect IMO.   I see Gallup as a 3rd WR and just a guy.   I don't see difference maker, but will grant that I struggle most when evaluating WR's.

Yiadom is a decent prospect, but needs to be the second best DB prospect we bring in.  I also think the 3rd may be a little rich for him as well.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, MantyWrestler said:

There are sooo many good WR’s you can get 2-3 rounds later that it’s just foolish to draft one in the 2nd. A CB in the second is a must if we draft edge first round. iMO

I was actually going to reply with exactly the same thing you just did. I'm enamoured with Roquan Smith and secretly hope we draft him, but at the moment that wouldn't solve the Edge or Corner concerns we have. 

2 hours ago, Bieker1 said:

Give me Landry in the 1st, Carlton Davis in the 2nd, and move Gallup to the 3rd and keep the rest and I feel like that would be a fairly realistic mock that fits are needs and has better value.

I'd rather have Landry than LVE. I was just shooting for doing something different than the typical Davenport or Landry in round 1 Mock Draft. 

I like Carlton Davis. His Ball skills worry me though. To me Yiadom is a similar player in terms of length and physicality who could be had later than our 2nd and also has some ball skills.

Id love to get Gallup in the 3rd. I don't think he makes it that far though.

Archived