Sleeper pick at #12.....

Suffering_Bills

.... if we stay at that pick, and don't trade up. Guys, we GOT a quarterback. A.J. DESERVES a shot.

Now, don't get me wrong: We SHOULD draft at least 1 QB in this draft. But, unless Allen or Mayfield falls to us, which I doubt, we need to fill a lot of holes on our roster, and trading up be darned. This much is obvious.

Our immediate needs are clear: WR and MLB. Matthews is gone, Zay might be a nut, and Benjamin is on his last year, contract-wise. We have Diddly behind them. Preston Brown is gone. Not like he can't be replaced with an upgrade, though.

SO.... -unless Edmunds falls to us, which I highly doubt, draft D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland. I think he's the best all-around WR in the draft. Best remaining ILB at #22. Evans or Vander Esch could be there.

Feedback

5 hours ago, Suffering_Bills said:

.... if we stay at that pick, and don't trade up. Guys, we GOT a quarterback. A.J. DESERVES a shot.

Now, don't get me wrong: We SHOULD draft at least 1 QB in this draft. But, unless Allen or Mayfield falls to us, which I doubt, we need to fill a lot of holes on our roster, and trading up be darned. This much is obvious.

Our immediate needs are clear: WR and MLB. Matthews is gone, Zay might be a nut, and Benjamin is on his last year, contract-wise. We have Diddly behind them. Preston Brown is gone. Not like he can't be replaced with an upgrade, though.

SO.... -unless Edmunds falls to us, which I highly doubt, draft D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland. I think he's the best all-around WR in the draft. Best remaining ILB at #22. Evans or Vander Esch could be there.

Feedback

DJ Moore at 12 no thank you....that is a huge reach he is a projected late 1st rd early 2nd rd he could be taken at 22. If bills are stuck at 12 and not going qb they are screwed, people think its an over exaggeration or knee jerk reaction but to be honest the bills have taken a step back with the moves they made this year and by not building for the future with a qb its a loss for me, as this just repeats what the bills have been doing for the last 25 years by plugging other positions rather then the most important position. I think this year will be a lost season if they move up for a qb but the right move, as they will have the cap space and qb to build up in 2019 which is the correct long term way to do things. Making the playoffs helped Mcdermott and Beane by proving they can get a team there with what they had so it should give them 3-4 years in buffalo starting now. 2018 year 1 they move up for the qb 2019 they build and draft around him 2020 if not making playoffs in 2019 they make a good push by adding even more talent around the qb they moved up for...2021 they are either repetitive playoff contedners or the qb has been a bust and a new regime moves in and starts all over.

Anyways if they went WR at 12 it better be for Calvin Ridley as he is the only WR worth taking in the 1st rd as he has been proven to be #1 wr on a team. If bills had to go another position at 12 that is not qb I would like either Roquan Smith OLB, Edmunds ILB, James Derwin can play safety or CB, Ridley WR, or Vea DT. If Benjamin plays healthy all year I expect the bills to retain him long term that move to trade a 3rd and 7th for him wasn't a band aid move it was a move to land their big target wr they desperately needed. Zay jones had one mishap and I think with his family such a close nit group they will get him on the right track as he is coming from a well off family and not from a broken one. He will be playing in his college position now that Mathews is gone at the Slot. Milano might be small but he may be an in house change to MLB if they land a guy like roquan at 12. Vander Esch and smith would be a nice combo at picks 12 and 22 as well and focus on a wr in round 2. Vita Vea can help out with Kyle Williams by rotating in and be his successor pairing up with Star for 4 years.

12 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

Bills are going to California to workout Darnold, the guy is expected to go no further then 2 in the draft so I am not buying any talk of staying at 12 or they wouldnt be wasting their time meeting with him.

It's a process. I wouldn't be satisfied with our Management if we didn't workout the top 7-8 QB's.

8 minutes ago, BillsGuy82 said:

It's a process. I wouldn't be satisfied with our Management if we didn't workout the top 7-8 QB's.

I understand its a process but when there is 17 days until the draft and this guy has been known to be a top 1 or at worst 2nd overall pick in the draft your wasting a day's worth of work by going out there to see him throw some balls around just to say they worked him out. They did have people there for his pro day that should have been enough to satisfy viewing him, unless they have more then regular interest. Im not saying this is the guy they draft im just simply saying that they are going out of their way to check the top QBs which to many mean they are very inclined of moving up if they havent already had an agreement in place with a team already. Outside of the top 3 QBs they have only brought in 2 viable options at pick 12 that is Roquan Smith and Ohio St Corner ward, everyone else has been at either pick 22 or later round pick. 

I wouldn't be mad if we didn't take a QB at 12 I only like Rosen and Mayfield so if they are gone I draft best player available.  Personally I want Edmund at 12 but I think he'll be gone by then.  I don't want to reach for a player at 12 just take the best available.

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I understand its a process but when there is 17 days until the draft and this guy has been known to be a top 1 or at worst 2nd overall pick in the draft your wasting a day's worth of work by going out there to see him throw some balls around just to say they worked him out. They did have people there for his pro day that should have been enough to satisfy viewing him, unless they have more then regular interest. Im not saying this is the guy they draft im just simply saying that they are going out of their way to check the top QBs which to many mean they are very inclined of moving up if they havent already had an agreement in place with a team already. Outside of the top 3 QBs they have only brought in 2 viable options at pick 12 that is Roquan Smith and Ohio St Corner ward, everyone else has been at either pick 22 or later round pick. 

I disagree, you just never know what can happen on draft day. Cleveland's owner went to Allen's Pro Day and in the past, made his GM draft Manziel over the GM's wishes, so when a team has one of the most incompetent owners in pro sports, you have to be prepared for surprises and other teams can surprise as well.

Good GM's prepare themselves for all possibilities, they do not assume anything. You only have a short period of time on draft day to make a decision, say on a trade and you do not want to be caught with your pants down, trying to decide whether or not to make a trade to draft a player, you never thought could be available to you.  

As for seeing him at his pro day and working him out on a visit, they are 2 totally different things, in a pro day, everything is orchestrated by the prospects coaches, after months of training for it, at a visit, a team controls the workout and decides what they want to see.

So, if you are intent on drafting a QB and are prepared to trade up to do so, you work them all out who are expected to go before your pick and maybe 1 or 2 you might have to settle for.

Archived