Should the Vikings trade Pick #30?

vike daddy

What would a team pay for the 30th pick? It is worth 620 points and the point values drop consistently from that point.

There is a potential pick marriage that would work out if both teams are interested that would be somewhat similar to the deal the Vikings made in 2010 – the last time they had the 30th pick. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are sitting with the sixth pick of the second round (No. 38 overall) and also have the second pick of the fourth round (No. 102 overall). Those two picks have a combined value of 612 points – if the Vikings were sticklers, they could ask for a seventh-round pick. Tampa has the second-to-last pick.

The Vikings may do on opening night of the draft what they did in 2010 – trade out of the first round and load up at the beginning of the final two days and prove to themselves that they can find gold in the final six rounds of the draft.

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Should-Minnesota-Vikings-trade-out-of-No-30-117125892

I wouldn't be against it, depending on who is on the board. However, it sucks sitting at a bar through 29 picks just to find out that your team has traded out of the first round and you have to wait until the next day to see them pick.

I miss the Saturday/Sunday NFL draft. A lot. 

It depends on who is available. I don't want to trade down far, but trading down 3-8 picks, I'd be fine with that, picking up a fourth or so as well as the second. I'd want to know that a few offensive linemen are still available, and probably a UT so they still have options.

I tend to think a fifth year option makes a pick more desirable. Especially in the case of a premium position. If a QB falls to 30, I'd expect that someone would be looking to get back into round one to get that extra potential year of control on a QB in particular.

Just now, The Gnat said:

I tend to think a fifth year option makes a pick more desirable. Especially in the case of a premium position. If a QB falls to 30, I'd expect that someone would be looking to get back into round one to get that extra potential year of control on a QB in particular.

which allows Spielman more leverage to extract compensation.

50 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I wouldn't be against it, depending on who is on the board. However, it sucks sitting at a bar through 29 picks just to find out that your team has traded out of the first round and you have to wait until the next day to see them pick.

I miss the Saturday/Sunday NFL draft. A lot. 

I agree.  It all depends upon who is on the board at the time.  If a QB or a top CB is available, it may warrant trading down to add some picks later.  While it has been in the past, I'm not sure the 5th year option is going to be all that valuable to Spiels this year, so he can give that up to get more picks later.  

And I agree on the 2-day draft...I think 3 days is just too much.  When you have "sexy" names at the top of the draft, I'm sure the prime-time draft works, but when you don't, it just turns into a bore-fest and drags on.  

I wouldn't trade up, I'd prefer to stay put. Trading down doesn't do much for me unless it was a small trade down.

looking at the roster in 2019, there is a risk for a lot of roster turnover. I'd rather get some of those replacements a year early and I'm inckined to want to hang onto those early picks to do so.

at 30, grab the best available OL or defender, likely can't go wrong with that approach given what's at stake in 2019. 

If I can move down to 34 and get a decent pick out of it and the board doesn't change much, I'm fine with it. 

13 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If a top-ish talent falls to #30 (high BPA) ... you take them.

If a potential day 1 starter falls to #30 (likely OL) ... you take them.

If a potential day 1 starter is not available and no top-ish talent fall ... then you may trade down.

If no top talent falls, it would be hard to find a trading partner.

I wouldn't be against it if the best players available aren't at a position of need and we get good value

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

If no top talent falls, it would be hard to find a trading partner.

I wouldn't be against it if the best players available aren't at a position of need and we get good value

Agree.  I don't expect them to take a top player who happens to be available just because he's available.  I personally wouldn't take Calvin Ridley even if he were available at #30, because they are fine at that position, but I'm certain other teams would pay a good price to move up for him.  

Archived