Should the Vikings trade Pick #30?

vike daddy

Without even knowing who’s there at 30, I’d be inclined to say they should trade down. 

This is a deep draft, with a lot of starter caliber players that should be available well into the 3rd, if not 4th, round.

If you could trade down a handful of picks and land another 3rd, or 4th, round pick, you’d be wise to do it. 

27 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Agree.  I don't expect them to take a top player who happens to be available just because he's available.  I personally wouldn't take Calvin Ridley even if he were available at #30, because they are fine at that position, but I'm certain other teams would pay a good price to move up for him.  

That's just it: since Spielman makes it well-known that he is a wheeler and dealer, he creates competition for trades.  If two or more teams realize they are in a bidding war for the Viking's pick, they are more likely to overpay, realizing otherwise they are left in the dark.

I think they can find a rookie starting OL in the mid 2nd round -- Ragnow, Price, or one of the tackles (Tyrell Crosby, Jamarco Jones) who's not a blue chip prospect but still probably better by the end of their rookie year than Rashod Hill.

They need depth in this draft more than stars, or even any non-OL starters, so I'd like to see them trade down a couple of times. End up with 5 picks in rounds 2-4, instead of 3 in rounds 1-3. 

41 minutes ago, Krauser said:

I think they can find a rookie starting OL in the mid 2nd round -- Ragnow, Price, or one of the tackles (Tyrell Crosby, Jamarco Jones) who's not a blue chip prospect but still probably better by the end of their rookie year than Rashod Hill.

They need depth in this draft more than stars, or even any non-OL starters, so I'd like to see them trade down a couple of times. End up with 5 picks in rounds 2-4, instead of 3 in rounds 1-3. 

I'm fine with that approach as well.  The last time that they had a pretty decent veteran bunch starting, they botched the building of depth behind them in their neverending quest to try to find a QB, trading picks to bring in guys like Sage Rosenfels and Kelly Holcomb and trading up for a backup RB in Toby Gerhart. 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Without even knowing who’s there at 30, I’d be inclined to say they should trade down. 

This is a deep draft, with a lot of starter caliber players that should be available well into the 3rd, if not 4th, round.

If you could trade down a handful of picks and land another 3rd, or 4th, round pick, you’d be wise to do it. 

Absolutely. The 2nd-3rd round is the meat of this draft. Unless someone very unexpected at a position of need drops to us at 30, I would like a trade down.

Also what could add a little bit of value really could be the Mason Rudolph smoke with the Patriots. If they don’t select a QB with their first pick, it would be a neat spot for some team to sneak up and try and rob him from them, along with picking up that 5th year option. 

Really the most realistic option for a team moving up. We all can say “TRADE DOWN” but there really has to be someone likes to do that. If their isn’t someone truely falling, it could be difficult.

Trading down doesn't have to be a big move, and it's probably almost always going to be an option if they don't demand too high a return. 

2015 draft for instance, Spielman traded down with the 3rd round pick twice, moving back 4 spots and then 8 more spots, collecting a 6th round pick and then a 5th. Teams that moved up drafted Chris Conley (WR, Chiefs) and Alex Carter (CB, Lions). Vikings took Danielle Hunter.

Late 1st round trade downs are common. 

2014: Vikings gave up a 4th to move from #40 to #32 and draft Teddy.

2016: Denver moved up from 31 to 26 at the price of a 4th to draft Paxton Lynch. Then the Niners gave up a 4th and a 6th to move up from 37 to 28 to draft Joshua Garnett. 

2017: Falcons trade a 3rd and 6th to move from 31 to 26 to draft Takk McKinley. Seahawks then move down from 31 to 34, picking up a 4th from the Niners, who draft Reuben Foster, and then from 34 to 35, picking up a 6th from the Jags, who draft Cam Robinson. Meanwhile, the Browns trade a 4th to move from 33 to 29 and draft David Njoku. 

Not sure how many of those trade ups were really for "draft day fallers", but if people are trading up for the Njoku's of the world, anything's possible. 

16 minutes ago, Krauser said:

Trading down doesn't have to be a big move, and it's probably almost always going to be an option if they don't demand too high a return. 

2015 draft for instance, Spielman traded down with the 3rd round pick twice, moving back 4 spots and then 8 more spots, collecting a 6th round pick and then a 5th. Teams that moved up drafted Chris Conley (WR, Chiefs) and Alex Carter (CB, Lions). Vikings took Danielle Hunter.

Late 1st round trade downs are common. 

2014: Vikings gave up a 4th to move from #40 to #32 and draft Teddy.

2016: Denver moved up from 31 to 26 at the price of a 4th to draft Paxton Lynch. Then the Niners gave up a 4th and a 6th to move up from 37 to 28 to draft Joshua Garnett. 

2017: Falcons trade a 3rd and 6th to move from 31 to 26 to draft Takk McKinley. Seahawks then move down from 31 to 34, picking up a 4th from the Niners, who draft Reuben Foster, and then from 34 to 35, picking up a 6th from the Jags, who draft Cam Robinson. Meanwhile, the Browns trade a 4th to move from 33 to 29 and draft David Njoku. 

Not sure how many of those trade ups were really for "draft day fallers", but if people are trading up for the Njoku's of the world, anything's possible.

For “fallers” basically all of them were.

Teddy was a projected #1 all over the place. A small heart issue, and a bad pro-day led to his fall. 

Paxton Lynch was really only a slight fall, but they team needed a QB. This would be the best situation for us if Jackson or Allen take a fall and we can get someone to bite to go get them. Or someone Snagging Rudolph.

Basically, everyone that trades up in the back end of the draft, is someone that is willing to take a chance on a highly sought after player that stumbled around the combine or pro-day, or they move up to secure a QB. 

The moves don’t have to be big, but they need to involve a QB, or a player that will likely be drafted by the following teams in the first that have been sliding. Currently, it’s hard to know exactly what the Eagles and Patriots will be looking at.

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

which allows Spielman more leverage to extract compensation.

would it though? When we traded up for Bridgewater, a player at a premium position at pick 32, all we gave up was our 2nd and a 4th. There wasn't any extra compensation.

I don't think a player's position has much if any impact on draft capital outside of the top 5-10 picks.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

would it though? When we traded up for Bridgewater, a player at a premium position at pick 32, all we gave up was our 2nd and a 4th. There wasn't any extra compensation.

I don't think a player's position has much if any impact on draft capital outside of the top 5-10 picks.

But when the Vikings traded up for a QB, Bridgewater, Carr, and Garoppolo were all available, so the demand didn’t outweigh the supply. 

There’s a big gap at QB in this draft after the top 6, and if only one is available at the end of the first a solid market could be created. 

Archived