Should the Vikings trade Pick #30?

vike daddy

3 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

Probably no one....or, no one, I haven't checked. I think the key problem for me with the proposed trade is they are really 4th and 5th round picks. Which, while having value, aren't great picks. Probably.

The picks take place in the 3rd and 4th round. Just because they’re later in the round doesn’t make their value a full round less. 

Trading down does net you many quality picks. You’re not going to trade down a few spots and land a high 3rd. And if you want a more valuable pick, you’re going to have to trade down further. 

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Trade proposal,

Vikings send pick 30 to the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for picks 47 (2nd), 97 (comp 3rd), and 134 (comp 4th). 

Yay or nay?

Nay. Too far to drop for my liking. I'd also rather get pick 47 and 79 rather than the comp 3rd at 97 and comp 4th at 134.

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Nay. Too far to drop for my liking. I'd also rather get pick 47 and 79 rather than the comp 3rd at 97 and comp 4th at 134.

Yeah it kind of depends for me.  If a guy like Connor Williams is there at 30 then I probably wouldn’t trade back, but if we’re just targeting one of the handful of OG’s or CB’s then I would trade back.

Ideally a decent quarterback falls to 30 and a team that missed out on one of the top qbs call us about trading up. New England really likes this QB and they don't want to lose him so they offer to trade up 1 spot and we can compare the offers

10 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Ideally a decent quarterback falls to 30 and a team that missed out on one of the top qbs call us about trading up. New England really likes this QB and they don't want to lose him so they offer to trade up 1 spot and we can compare the offers

The only thing is if they really like the QB, then they probably take him at 23. It's just like the conversation people were having earlier in the process about the Browns taking a position player at 1 and waiting to take their QB until 4. If the QB that the Patriots want falls to 23, they will take him there and not chance losing him by trying to get him a few picks later.

22 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

The only thing is if they really like the QB, then they probably take him at 23. It's just like the conversation people were having earlier in the process about the Browns taking a position player at 1 and waiting to take their QB until 4. If the QB that the Patriots want falls to 23, they will take him there and not chance losing him by trying to get him a few picks later.

Right. For some reason I was thinking that their other first was higher up

On 4/18/2018 at 11:41 AM, SemperFeist said:

The picks take place in the 3rd and 4th round. Just because they’re later in the round doesn’t make their value a full round less. 

Trading down does net you many quality picks. You’re not going to trade down a few spots and land a high 3rd. And if you want a more valuable pick, you’re going to have to trade down further. 

They might be called 3rd and 4th round....but they happen after every* team has picked 3 times, and 4 times....so, we'll just agree what "round" they are, I guess. If there were no comp picks, what round would these be?

Edit: and who cares? That's not the point. I'd not do the deal, because the picks are too far down.

*that hasn't dealt a pick

On 4/16/2018 at 8:56 PM, vikingsrule said:

Vikes have too many core players on 2nd and 3rd contracts, especially after 2019.

Cant afford to bring in another big contract Ike Gronkowski at the expense of a cheaper rookie. Given that the 2016 draft class is looking like a bust and there was no 2017 1st round pick, the Vikes really need to replenish the roster with good and cheap talent. 

I'd be tempted if the Pats would do Gronk & a 4th for Rudolph & our 3rd

Edit: I see the Pats don't have a 4th so maybe Gronk & 42 for Rudolph & 30 ... idk

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Stay at 30 and pick the best interior offensive lineman available.

If there are 2-3 interior offensive linemen (like there was in that Forum by Forum mock with Daniels, Wynn, and Price), then I'd take the best trade down offer I could get.  

the stars have aligned perfectly for us to trade down this draft. we need a starter at guard day one, and there are 5-6 in this draft that could very likely do that for us. the other reason is that specific position has historically been drafted lower than most. 

in the last eight drafts, only ten guards have been drafted in the first round. eleven have been drafted in the second round during those drafts, which is an average of less than 3 (2.6) guards being drafted in the first two rounds. 2012 was the most lucrative during those years with two going in the first round and three going in the second round. 

the rest of the prospects should help push guards down the board as well. five quarterbacks could reportedly get taken in the first round which is above average, and then there is a scarcity at more premium positions such as OT, edge rushers, boundary corners, receivers, etc. 

i think there should be a solid chance of one of the top six guards (quenton nelson, isaiah wynn, will hernandez, billy price, frank ragnow and braden smith) is still available when we draft at 62 - let alone if we trade back 5-10 spots from our first round pick. for this i'm assuming most teams view connor williams as a tackle and most teams view wynn as a guard.

drafting one of the top OT prospects (mcglinchey or williams) would be the main reason why i think we should pick at 30, otherwise trading back isn't only prudent in my mind but is a no-brainer.

also: another reason this draft is awesome for us is because of the talent and depth at running back, where i'm hoping we draft a talented one in the 3rd-ish round to be a 1-2 punch with dalvin cook for the next few years.

Archived