Get Serious Mock

Armsteeld2

Sometimes I do mocks just to see how this board feels about a certain player or position.  I guess you can say I'm checking the temperature of the group.  Now it's time to for me to get a lil serious as the draft draws closer.  Free Agency is over and the Steelers made some low key good moves at their perceived areas of weakness.  While I know many aren't satisfied with the signings of Bostic and Burnett, both are quality players.  That being said "Shall we dance?"

RD1. LSU CB Donte Jackson 5'11 178 4.32: Blazing speed.  Played WR and CB in his freshman year and has good hands.  Can play Slot/Boundary/FS.  His ability to mirror and stay with the WRs is similar to Tre'Davious White (many liked him last year).  Willing tackler who doesn't shy away from tackling.  Very good at interrupting the WR at the top of his routes.  Has the ability to return kicks.  Is a Junior.  Burns has struggled and needs to be challenged.  Burns vacated his Zone coverage too much last season, wasn't willing to come up and tackle, struggled keeping up with WRs and showed his frustrations at times.  Mike Hilton is a monster.  Sutton is an unknown while Brian Allen is a project.  Donte Jackson is a budding superstar.

RD2. Memphis WR Anthony Miller 5'11 201 4.46: Antonio Brown is all worldly.  JuJu is a budding star.  Martavis is not dependable and disappears in games.  Justin Hunter has potential.  DHB is a speed demon and excels in STs.  Brown and JuJu are the only true route runners out of that group.  In comes Anthony Miller who is a very established route runner.  Miller has good hands and knows the nuances of route running and how to gain separation.  Miller can also help make Bryant expendable.  Miller also has return ability to add to his resume and boy do we need a boost there.  Miller's age (turns 24 during rookie year) could turn the Steelers off but his skills are real enticing.

RD3. Rutgers OLB Kemoko Turay 6'5 2.53  4.65: Why another LB?  Turay is a pass rusher who has great hand fighting ability.  Turay has great ability to turn the edge and get after the QB.  His ability to use counter moves is good for a collegiate player.  Turay is a better pass rusher than Watt and Dupree and would be immediate production off the edge.  Imagine this setup with the LBs: Watt and Turay as the OLBs with a combination of Dupree, Adams, Williams, and Bostic as the ILBs.  Who is blitzing and who is dropping into coverage? Turay is also insurance for Bud Dupree and his failure as a pass rusher.  Turay needs to finish better but his upside is huge.

RD5. Texas S Deshon Elliott 6'1 210 4.58: We have JJ Wilcox, Sean Davis, Morgan Burnett, and Nat Berhe.  Burnett and Berhe are the Cover Safeties and Davis and Wilcox are better in the box.  I know Burnett is good playing Dime LB and I expect Berhe to play that role as well.  I think a mid round Safety who is very similar in skills to Burnett is Deshon Elliott.  Both have range, plus ball skills, excel within 10 yards from the LOS and are good in run support.  I know some think Elliott will go earlier and that's something that can happen to any player if a team believes in that particular player. 

RD5. Oklahoma MLB Emmanuel Beal 6'0 227 4.45: The Steelers have some physical meet you in the hole type MLBs like Bostic and Williams.  What they need is some speed to counter those outside runs and help cover RBs and TEs.  Beal is also sollid in blitzing and helping in the passing game.  I feel taking Beal this early could be a risk but I like his upside.

RD7. Alabama NT Joshua Frazier 6'3 327 5.27: McCullers is the only true Nose Tackle on the roster.  He needs someone to challenge his spot and, despite my high hopes for him, possibly push him off the roster.  Joshua Frazier played behind some high draft picks at Alabama.  A'Shawn Robinson, Da'Ron Payne, Jarron Reed, Da'Shawn Hand, Dalvin Tomlinson, and Jonathan Allen just to name a few.

RD7. Auburn RB Kamryn Pettway 6'0 233 4.74: We have Bell, Ridley, and Connor as our RBs.  Bell is the all world RB, Ridley is the seasoned veteran, and Connor is someone who has promise.  Pettway is a monster runner who exploded onto the SEC in 2016 with over 1,200 yards.  2017, he injured his shoulder and later was kicked off the team.  Pettway is a downhill runner who has a lil wiggle in his game.  Pettway runs similar to LeGarrette Blount and is someone that I was high on last year.  Coach Tomlin loves power runners with girth and attitude.  Pettway is that guy.

Rip it up and don't go easy!  No lube is needed!

1 minute ago, Blitzburgh said:

I don’t like it, but could see it fall that way.  

I may be one of the few, but I would be 100% fine with a CB in the 1st if the value is there.

What are some reasons you dislike it? Thanks.

I hate the WR pick at 2, but I’m mentally prepared for it to happen. I don’t like waiting till 5 to address ILB.   Other than that,  I don’t hate the other picks.  There just aren’t any players I’m excited about.

17 minutes ago, Blitzburgh said:

I hate the WR pick at 2, but I’m mentally prepared for it to happen. I don’t like waiting till 5 to address ILB.   Other than that,  I don’t hate the other picks.  There just aren’t any players I’m excited about.

Gotcha.I feel we're missing that one create your own space WR and Miller is that guy for me.  There are bigger and faster guys but we have similar guys like those in DHB, MB, and Justin Hunter.

I like Dorian O'Daniel and project him as a Nickle/MLB who can play matchup football.  I had a hard time wondering where he'd be drafted plus Burnett and Elliott play that same role.  I respect that and thanks for your input.

Not what I'm typically looking for in this year's draft.  I'd put CB at about our 4th/5th need.  Waiting until the 5th round to get our top 2 needs is why I can't get behind this draft.

BUT:  

In terms of the players, I like the first 3 rounds.  Donte Jackson, I haven't studied a ton, but he passes the eye test and yes, he's blazing fast.  But he's got alligator arms, so I don't love the length.  

Big Anthony Miller fan.  He could be very good at the NFL level.  Again, don't see it as a top 2 need, but impressive player.  

Wasn't familiar with Kemoko Turay before I looked at this.  But have to say, I"m very impressed.  He's got impressive size, agility, motor and that killer instinct that Bud is missing.  Can get after the QB or stuff the run well.  I'll take him in the 3rd for sure.

Not a huge fan of Elliot.  Rather have someone like Quin Blanding.

Beal is too small for ILB.  He looks decent, but I'll pass on him.

Not familiar with the other guys.  All in all, I give it a C+.

Archived