Trevor Davis arrested for bomb joke at airport

AlexGreen#20

2 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Can't imagine a world where he passes Geronimo or doesn't make the 53. He's pretty soundly in the middle of those options.

I  can.  It's likely  given that we're going to draft a WR (maybe multiple) and it wouldn't all surprise me if Davis is passed on the depth chart by guys like Clark and Yancy.  Through 3 years, Davis has shown absolutely no upside as a WR.  I don't think he'll make the roster for being just a so-so return man.  He's going to have to show that he's a guy that can do something more than just run fast in gym shorts.  

Davis isnt a closed book IMO. He'll need to take a step up as a WR this year. I'd like to see him get more opportunities from the slot or with drag routes over the middle - as opposed to the sideline - where he can set up / take an angle on the Safety.

9 minutes ago, SSG said:

I  can.  It's likely  given that we're going to draft a WR (maybe multiple) and it wouldn't all surprise me if Davis is passed on the depth chart by guys like Clark and Yancy.  Through 3 years, Davis has shown absolutely no upside as a WR.  I don't think he'll make the roster for being just a so-so return man.  He's going to have to show that he's a guy that can do something more than just run fast in gym shorts.  

He was 3rd in punt return average last year.

He was 7th in kickoff return average last year. 

There's nothing wrong with saying Trevor Davis is a plus return man. 

12 minutes ago, SSG said:

Check your facts. Davis was shut down mid-way thru his rookie season.

Last year was his first full season.

He's entering year #3.

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Check your facts. Davis was shut down mid-way thru his rookie season.

Last year was his first full season.

He's entering year #3.

Facts are straight, thanks leader.   Davis WAS NOT shut down midway through his rookie year.  He was a healthy scratch in 7 games following week 11 because of bad, inconsistent play.  I suggest you take your own advise.  As a rookie, he was passed on the depth chart like he was standing still by a non drafted rookie who might possibly be the least athletic WR in the NFL.  You are right, my post should have said "going into his 3rd year" but it doesn't change that fact that Davis as a WR has been nothing short of an abomination.  He was JAG in college who ran fast in gym shorts.  Because of that 40 speed and only because of that 40 speed, we reached and missed.  

23 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't think anyone said there was anything wrong with being just a return man, I just don't think a roster spot is guaranteed to a guy who's only a return man.  At least with Janis, he showed more upside as a receiver and was a very good gunner.  I  think we could easily see him replaced as a return man given how terrible he's looked at WR the last 2 years.  

Are we using a roster spot on a #6 WR  because he has had so-so luck as a return man?  

1 minute ago, SSG said:

Facts are straight, thanks leader.   Davis WAS NOT shut down midway through his rookie year.  He was a healthy scratch in 7 games following week 11 because of bad, inconsistent play.  I suggest you take your own advise.  As a rookie, he was passed on the depth chart like he was standing still by a non drafted rookie who might possibly be the least athletic WR in the NFL.  You are right, my post should have said "going into his 3rd year" but it doesn't change that fact that Davis as a WR has been nothing short of an abomination.  He was JAG in college who ran fast in gym shorts.  Because of that 40 speed and only because of that 40 speed, we reached and missed badly.  

I wasnt implying he was shut down due to injury. I would have said so if it were known to be true. He was shut down because of his play - apparently - because the team never publicly stated one way or the other. Okay. Not a great thing - but the guys a 1st year rookie. No PS pull up. He wasnt playing well and they shut him down.

It happens.

Last year was his second year. He did well as a returner - had fair catching issues that I would think easy enough to fix - but they werent totally. Oh well - but everybody was dissing him REPEATEDLY and all I kept doing (at PC) was posting the positive yardage he seemed to gain every time he touched the ball. Just making sure all the "I cant stand this guy...." folks (for various reasons) actually took into account the positive yardage he was getting us.

I've not no money down on Davis. Perhaps somebody does come off the PS to outplay him next year. Couls happen. Its up to him.

I'm simply countering this persistent chatter that the guys been a bum.

2 minutes ago, SSG said:

I don't think anyone said there was anything wrong with being just a return man, I just don't think a roster spot is guaranteed to a guy who's only a return man.  At least with Janis, he showed more upside as a receiver and was a very good gunner.  I  think we could easily see him replaced as a return man given how terrible he's looked at WR the last 2 years.  

Are we using a roster spot on a #6 WR  because he has had so-so luck as a return man?  

And not to get into a "thing" with you about something neither of us can control - but you weren't in Davante's corner till year 3. Till that time there were all sorts of things you found objectionable about him. So maybe history will repeat itself.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The question should be is the 3rd ranked punt returner and a useless wide receiver worth more than a productive wide receiver and the 15th-20 ranked returner?

2 minutes ago, MantyWrestler said:

The question should be is the 3rd ranked punt returner and a useless wide receiver worth more than a productive wide receiver and the 15th-20 ranked returner?

Agreed. Mark Murphy has been linked to the anti-kickoff crowd. Why keep a good RS when the kickoff is, allegedly, about to be eliminated from the game...

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

ZjSOwtR.gif

SL7pynn.gif

Best play on offense I've seen Davis make.

But, might be only the second nice play. I mean dang, if the guy is so good, why hasn’t he played more? Serious question. At times he makes plays like this and the nice game against the Falcons, then... he’s MIA. 

1 minute ago, MantyWrestler said:

But, might be only the second nice play. I mean dang, if the guy is so good, why hasn’t he played more? Serious question. At times he makes plays like this and the nice game against the Falcons, then... he’s MIA. 

Because being a "bad" player in the NFL doesn't mean you consistently and exclusively make bad plays. You aren't tripping over your feet and stumbling constantly. Being a bad NFL player and being a very inconsistent NFL player is one and the same. 

Archived