Players Taking Shots At Their Former Team

stl4life07

4 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

I loved it when Kelechi Osemele took a shot at the Ravens before the Raiders/Ravens game this past season, saying it was a shame that we wouldn't pay him.

@Darth Pees, sorry, not real sure about this, but didn't the Ravens offer him a real good $$$contract for a guard; he simply got paid more by Oakland? And that's what you're referring to, ironically?

My other question for you, as a smart Ravens guy, do you think that Baltimore started falling off offensively when they lost Osemele, and Yanda, and then Ricky Wagner, and maybe somebody else? Reason I ask is I get the sense that people blame Joe Flacco for everything ranging from the Ravens' scoring woes on up to handgun killings in Baltimore and rush-hour traffic on the Beltway. I wonder how much better he would have been had they been able to keep more of that strong O-line they had together-?

23 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Your post is not saying something good about someone. You're literally chastising players for commenting about their past teams.

How do you call what Quinn said just "commenting" about his past team and, in the same breath, call what the OP said "CHASTISING" players for commenting??? How is one just simply "commenting" while the other is "chastising?"

Are you lacking perspective? Laying it on thick? Or just unaware of the actual definitions of the words you are using? xD

I think Quinn, or any player, is entitled to say what they want to say. But I dont think being honest does them any favors and I think they would be better served remaining diplomatic and being careful not to burn bridges.

Not to say I think what he said is going to set any bridge aflame, mind you. But I am just of the school of thought that in that position, when asked a question like that, you dont fan the flames or feed the tabloids. You keep it close to the vest and avoid giving the press an opportunity to create something out of nothing because its the offseason.

But thats me. And... probably most players. In most sports. And people in life in general. Not saying it's right or wrong. It's just generally how adults roll.

There's been a fair amount of this going on for a while now, and most of it is just due to the fact that players tend to be passionate and competitive people who often also lack a ton of impulse control when they feel slighted. Social media doesn't help this, but, in most cases, it doesn't really bug me. When Steve Smith made it clear that he wasn't happy with the Panthers I was more disappointed than anything due to how long I'd been watching him play for my team, and how much I'd enjoyed watching him play. Taunting Gettleman when he was fired was in even poorer taste, I felt, but the sheer volume if ire that man drew from former Panthers made it seem like he had probably really angered a lot of people.

18 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Just watch WWE.

That's not even close to what I was referring too. 

Official team pages already take light hearted jabs at their rivals here and there and I see nothing wrong with it. 

13 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I wish it were that way too. 

I think athletes nowadays are too senstive though. Not all of them, just a lot - definitely a lot more than in the past. 

^^ Definitely agree with this and that's part of the reason why I said that it wasn't realistic.

20 years ago when there was only newspaper's and SC it was not uncommon, but nowadays players (and most people even) that are active on social media are far too thin-skinned.

15 hours ago, Non-Issue said:

How do you call what Quinn said just "commenting" about his past team and, in the same breath, call what the OP said "CHASTISING" players for commenting??? How is one just simply "commenting" while the other is "chastising?"

Are you lacking perspective? Laying it on thick? Or just unaware of the actual definitions of the words you are using? xD

Ok replace commenting with chastising. That's fine. I'm not trying to sugar coat what Quinn did. He was absolutely throwing a shot at the Rams, no argument there.

19 hours ago, bzane said:

@Darth Pees, sorry, not real sure about this, but didn't the Ravens offer him a real good $$$contract for a guard; he simply got paid more by Oakland? And that's what you're referring to, ironically?

My other question for you, as a smart Ravens guy, do you think that Baltimore started falling off offensively when they lost Osemele, and Yanda, and then Ricky Wagner, and maybe somebody else? Reason I ask is I get the sense that people blame Joe Flacco for everything ranging from the Ravens' scoring woes on up to handgun killings in Baltimore and rush-hour traffic on the Beltway. I wonder how much better he would have been had they been able to keep more of that strong O-line they had together-?

To your first question: We offered him $8.5M/year which would've made him the highest paid G in football. Raiders offered him over $11M/year.

And here are Osemele's full(ish) comments:

“Honestly, we didn’t get close at all,” Osemele said of contract negotiations with the Ravens. “I wasn’t really offered much at all. Some of the things that were being brought back to me were borderline … they can hurt your feelings sometimes.”

Before the Raiders’ offer, Osemele said he knew he would be heading elsewhere. He had spoken with other former Ravens that left in free agency, including wide receiver Torrey Smith. Osemele said even some people in the organization showed him the writing on the wall.

“It’s something that does happen with that organization because they’re able to find so many good players,” Osemele said. “I was very prepared for it.”

Even though he saw a move coming, Osemele still seems bothered. When he signed with the Raiders, he said he was “coming from a place where [the offensive line is] not really appreciated.”

“That, in particular, had to do with an individual in the organization that I didn’t quite gel with and had issues with,” Osemele explained Wednesday. “That wasn’t the organization as a whole. That was one coach in particular.”

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/Kelechi-Osemele-Has-An-Ax-To-Grind-In-Return-To-Baltimore/9c31f321-2342-4ba6-a1e8-f9fbf6d44cbc

EDIT below:

In regards to your second point, no, I think our offense was still going downhill even with those pieces in place. Sure, losing Osemele and Wagner hurts, but we've actually done well replacing them or at least not being terrible after they went down or left. I think much of our offensive woes are just Flacco being really bad and also our offense as a whole being talent deprived at the skill positions.

As mentioned before, I'd treat my former team like a previous employer. I fully understand why players vent, but I wouldn't want to burn bridges or give my new team any negative opinions about me.

On 4/11/2018 at 3:30 PM, Elky said:

As mentioned before, I'd treat my former team like a previous employer. I can see why some players vent, but I wouldn't want to burn bridges or give my new team any negative thoughts about me.

Right, especially to the media. If you're talking with other teams and they ask, no reason to lie, but there is a difference between what can be said behind closed doors and to the media/public.

On 4/11/2018 at 2:04 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

That's not even close to what I was referring too. 

Which is what every athlete would have to say after they're questioned by the media as to why they're taking shots at their old team. In this day and age, anything anyone says or does gets some kind of backlash. Even if it's "a joke" or "all in good fun". Actually, this goes beyond football.

Marshawn Lynch did what everyone else should be doing.

I'm not going to criticize anyone for taking shots at Texans management and/or ownership, given that our owner can't keep his foot out of his mouth. 

Given this, it's been rare to hear former Texans go after ownership. Duane Brown and Arian Foster make up the list. 

6 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I'm not going to criticize anyone for taking shots at Texans management and/or ownership, given that our owner can't keep his foot out of his mouth. 

Given this, it's been rare to hear former Texans go after ownership. Duane Brown and Arian Foster make up the list. 

Didn’t the owner of the Texans say he isn’t sorry for the inmate comment he made? If that’s the case then I don’t blame players for taking shots at the organization.

Archived