15. Curtis Cothran, DL, Penn State (7/UDFA) - Bob Labriola
16. Brogan Roback, QB, Eastern Michigan (7/UDFA) - Bob Labriola
17. Jermaine Carter Jr, OLB, Maryland (7/UDFA) - Bob Labriola
18. Reggie Bonnafon, RB, Louisville (7/UDFA) - Ray Fittipaldo
19. John David Moore, RB, LSU (7/UDFA) - Ray Fittipaldo
20. Russell Gage Jr, WR, LSU (7/UDFA) - Bob Labriola
21. Jordan Mailata, OL, Australia (7/UDFA) - Bob Labriola
22. Gregory Gilmore, DL, LSU (7/UDFA) - Bob Labriola
23. Bilal Nichols, DL, Delaware (7/UDFA) - Bob Labriola.

Local Visits:
Justin Watson, WR, Penn (7/UDFA) - Ray Fittipaldo

Unconfirmed:
Chris Worley, OLB, Ohio State (6/7) - Dan Hope
Quadree Henderson, WR, Pitt (7/UDFA) - Aaron Wilson (Local Visit)

Dallas Goedert, TE NDSU (1)

Darius Leonard ILB SC (2/3)

By Position (excludes local visits):
QB 1, RB 2, TE 0, WR 3, OL 1

DL 4, Edge 0, LB 8, CB 2, S 5

I like BJ Hill. Solid run stuffing DT. A tad tall at 6’3” but maintains low pad level. Big boy at 315. Has some wiggle to him. If he’s in as a rotational to Hargrave then I like it. 

Still really like Poona Ford though. 

Gil Brandt
‏Verified account @Gil_Brandt
2h2 hours ago

Another name to watch: Aussie Rugby player Jordan Mailata (6-8, 346) who's attempting conversion to football. Has visits lined up every day this week:

MON Washington
TUE Pittsburgh
WED Philadelphia
THU Cleveland
FRI LA Chargers

Mailata measured just shy of 6-foot-8 and weighed 346 pounds. His arms measured a massive 35.5 inches. He was timed at 5.12 seconds in the 40-yard dash, which would have been good for seventh among tackle participants at the NFL Combine in February. He also excelled in the short shuttle with a time (4.67 seconds) that would have been among the top 10 at his position. Mailata put up 22 reps on the bench press.

I think Maliata goes much higher than 7th/UDFA. Not worried about his experience his athleticism & size at the age of 20 is unmatched. 6'8" 346lbs and runs a 5.12...Thats far more athletic than Tyron Smith. 

I do have him graded as a 6th/7th rounder based on athleticism and mobility as far as grade value.  That said...see the Planet theory.. if he was older it wouldnt be half as intriguing but at age 20, sky is the limit. Based on this draft specifically I have him at the moment as a late 5th/early 6th pick. If I brought him in for a visit and liked what I saw and had two picks in the late 3rd or 4th Id very likely take a chance. 

The Planet Theory: Since there are only so many people on the planet with the size and quickness to succeed on the offensive and defensive lines in the NFL, you have to take those players early in the draft.

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

I think Maliata goes much higher than 7th/UDFA. Not worried about his experience his athleticism & size at the age of 20 is unmatched. 6'8" 346lbs and runs a 5.12...Thats far more athletic than Tyron Smith. 

I do have him graded as a 6th/7th rounder based on athleticism and mobility as far as grade value.  That said...see the Planet theory.. if he was older it wouldnt be half as intriguing but at age 20, sky is the limit. Based on this draft specifically I have him at the moment as a late 5th/early 6th pick. If I brought him in for a visit and liked what I saw and had two picks in the late 3rd or 4th Id very likely take a chance. 

The Planet Theory: Since there are only so many people on the planet with the size and quickness to succeed on the offensive and defensive lines in the NFL, you have to take those players early in the draft.

Maliata is a Munch project.  The Steelers helped run his Pro day.

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Dorian O'Daniel is way higher on my board than most. Not worried about his age when you play with instincts like that. His size would be the greater concern, but he plays bigger than Shazier coming out of college. 

The rating is from NFLDraftScout.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

The rating is from NFLDraftScout.

I didnt even see the rating on that one here, I just know most are disregarding his play. Kind of hilarious to me, cause in my eyes his play was much better than Roquan Smiths yet Smith gets all the pub. 

I want nothing to do with Malik Jefferson in our defense. He needs to be outside in space if he will have any luck at all. His instincts are not good and I think he struggles to find the ball in part due to lack of height and line of sight. As a freshman he showed promise but I saw none of that this year. 

Take note of Miami's linebackers for next year, they all swarm to the ball. Their LBs and edge guys are very interesting. That defense for that matter even with the losses should be very good next year. 

3 hours ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Dorian O'Daniel is way higher on my board than most. Not worried about his age when you play with instincts like that. His size would be the greater concern, but he plays bigger than Shazier coming out of college. 

I read that performed outstanding at his Pro Day. Unfortunately that comment was not backed up with numbers. I have had trouble finding Pro Day results. Walter Football has some but is missing a lot. 

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I read that performed outstanding at his Pro Day. Unfortunately that comment was not backed up with numbers. I have had trouble finding Pro Day results. Walter Football has some but is missing a lot. 

Well he had a pretty nice combine 

4.61  21 reps  119" broad  32" vert  6.64 3 cone

Only thing would've like to see him closer to or at 230.

Reggie Bonnafon - Louisville is an interesting prospect. He flashed a lot of ability as a Quarterback at Louisville before Lamar Jackson came along.  Went 4-1 as a starter as a freshman at Louisville before dealing with late season injuries. Played WR and RB. 

He was very exciting and in ways was more impressive as a passer from what I recall vs Jackson, and obviously can move really well, but Jackson is a freak athletically with his ability to run. Seemed like a bum deal that he moved positions.

Just because its fun to track, listed below are some results from the past few seasons. Key takeaways:
- The Steelers have attended every pro day for their 1st round pick (I don't have all the pro day details, sorry)
- At least 3 draft picks have come as pre-draft visits since 2012. Pay attention to rounds 3 & 4:
- In the last 3 drafts, 6 out of 7 3rd & 4th round picks have been a pre draft visits
- 4 out of the last 6 3rd round picks have been pre-draft visits
- 6 out of the last 8 4th round picks have been pre-draft visits
- With the exception of 2014, the top 3 picks in the last 6 drafts have corresponded almost perfectly with the top 3 position invites. 2015 was slightly off, but that was a terrible TE class.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Just because its fun to track, listed below are some results from the past few seasons. Key takeaways:
- The Steelers have attended every pro day for their 1st round pick (I don't have all the pro day details, sorry)
- At least 3 draft picks have come as pre-draft visits since 2012. Pay attention to rounds 3 & 4:
- In the last 3 drafts, 6 out of 7 3rd & 4th round picks have been a pre draft visits
- 4 out of the last 6 3rd round picks have been pre-draft visits
- 6 out of the last 8 4th round picks have been pre-draft visits
- With the exception of 2014, the top 3 picks in the last 6 drafts have corresponded almost perfectly with the top 3 position invites. 2015 was slightly off, but that was a terrible TE class.

Seems likely that somebody like BJ Hill or Tim Settle is on their radar. Settle is very young and plays with a lot of hustle. McCullers is really only any good for being the first guy off the bus. I have always thought well of Cothrans play.

Archived