Vegan talk

11sanchez11

I'm here eating some beef tacos and looking at some chick's post about her veganism and factory farming and all that jazz. I like these types of discussion so let's talk about it.

Are you a vegan? Should we all be vegans? Maybe just a higher % of the population being vegan is ok? Is factory farming terrible? Health benefits/cons? Is hunting an acceptable way to not be a vegan? Environmental factors?

Pretty sure this is all forum safe. Civil discussion preferably. 

My girlfriend and her sister are both Vegans. I have done the "Just shy of vegan" thing a long time ago...what I mean by that is that I didn't check labels for animal byproducts (which they both do). I did that from about the time I was 14 until I was 22 and I'm 36 now (No real reason at the time - I just wanted to see how long I could go doing it). Then slowly I started re-introducing things into my diet. Now I basically just eat everything but red meat. 

I think eating more plants then anything else is healthiest thing you do. Saturating the body with water, chlorophyll-phytochemicals,  vitamins, mineral, fiber, antioxidants, enzymes and potassium will do wonders to the body!

But i think it depends on your genetics and metabolism to, if your some one with a very fast metabolism, your going to have to eat a lot of plants to meet your nutritional requirements/maintain muscle mass, but its very do able for everyone. 

I adhere to more of a vegetarian based diet my self, only eat meat a few times a month, like 3-4 times at the most. 

My cousin is a vegetarian and my sister was for a couple years.

I'm a butcher, so I eat meat about 3 or 4 nights a week. Usually chicken. Beef/pork maybe once a week and fish once a week too. 

I tried vegan cause my best friend growing up was for religious reasons. I lasted a couple weeks, but I couldn't keep going without a burger in the middle of summer. We eat vegan meals once a week though, my wife likes them.

2 hours ago, Bednarik60 said:

I think eating more plants then anything else is healthiest thing you do. Saturating the body with water, chlorophyll-phytochemicals,  vitamins, mineral, fiber, antioxidants, enzymes and potassium will do wonders to the body!

But i think it depends on your genetics and metabolism to, if your some one with a very fast metabolism, your going to have to eat a lot of plants to meet your nutritional requirements/maintain muscle mass, but its very do able for everyone. 

I adhere to more of a vegetarian based diet my self, only eat meat a few times a month, like 3-4 times at the most. 

How do you feel about Tofu / Soybeans? I Know that you're in the fitness thread a lot, and from what I Read on the interwebz, tofu has a very mixed reception. Personally, I'm a big fan of Tofu, but I limit it to about 10 oz 3 days a week or so. Fat + Protein + very few carbs, I'm down for that. 

I was a vegan for 7 years and no matter how hard I tried to get protein, I just couldn't get enough.  Very doable if you're an NFL athlete and you can afford it, not so easily attainable at a normal salary.  I couldn't get past about 140 pounds being vegan at a few centimeters under 6 feet tall. 

7 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I was a vegan for 7 years and no matter how hard I tried to get protein, I just couldn't get enough.  Very doable if you're an NFL athlete and you can afford it, not so easily attainable at a normal salary.  I couldn't get past about 140 pounds being vegan at a few centimeters under 6 feet tall. 

How much protein were you trying to get? I mean, I get the idea that if you're trying to do your .8 grams against your body weight it could be rough (especially if that number is like 170-200g), but I think it's pretty easy to get the recommended daily amount 

Just now, Forge said:

How much protein were you trying to get? I mean, I get the idea that if you're trying to do your .8 grams against your body weight it could be rough (especially if that number is like 170-200g), but I think it's pretty easy to get the recommended daily amount 

Not much honestly.  It was before I even worked out, and once I started working out I realized I wasn't getting enough.  Tofu tastes great, but it really doesn't have that much protein in it.  You'd have to eat 2.5 times the amount of tofu to get the protein you'd find in as much chicken.  There's one gram of protein in soy milk or almond milk (almond milk tastes ten times better than soy milk by the way), and whey isn't vegan, so you're drinking more protein powder to get the same amount of protein in non-vegan protein powder. 

I'm not saying it can't be done.  Tofu is certainly less filling than chicken, so you can eat more of it.  If you cook it right, I actually prefer tofu to chicken still to this day.  But I will say that it does get expensive.  Very expensive.  It's hell for everybody you know since you can't go out to eat anywhere, food spoils much faster... I would advise against going vegan unless you were considered upper middle class at least. 

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

How do you feel about Tofu / Soybeans? I Know that you're in the fitness thread a lot, and from what I Read on the interwebz, tofu has a very mixed reception. Personally, I'm a big fan of Tofu, but I limit it to about 10 oz 3 days a week or so. Fat + Protein + very few carbs, I'm down for that. 

It's good stuff. Tofu is as rounded and healthy as food gets. Soy beans and soy products are good, Soy protein powder to.  There a lot of bro science out there about soy and tofu so people are scared of it.

It doesn't raise estrogen, if anyone was wondering. 

Soybeans have isoflavones in them which are a series-chains of plan chemicals that are called phytoestrogens cause they mimic estrogen in mammals in structure, but in our systems they can't bind to our estrogen receptors or could you consume enough to ever get them to, they have very  very low biological value in our body. Once your stomach acid/bile, bacteria, chlororphyll  and overall digestive system, there nothing left of them and they never binding to anything or did anything. 

Archived