Packers' Trevor Davis arrested for bomb threat

RuskieTitan

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23089998/green-bay-packers-trevor-davis-arrested-bomb-joke-airport

Green Bay Packers wide receiver Trevor Davis was arrested Sunday and charged with making "criminal threats" after joking about a bomb at the Los Angeles International Airport, according to LAX police.

Public information officer Rob Pedregon told ESPN on Monday that Davis was taken into custody and released on his own recognizance pending a May 3 court appearance.

"Yesterday, Trevor Davis checked in at the Hawaiian Airlines ticket counter and was asked the usual questions about whether he was carrying any aerosol cans, knives, weapons or explosives," Pedregon said. "Davis turned to his female companion and asked if she remembered to pack the explosives. He was then taken into custody and booked."

----

Davis, 24, was a fifth-round draft pick from Cal in 2016 and last season served as the Packers' primary kick returner and punt returner. He ranked third in the NFL in punt return average (12.0) last season with a long return of 65 yards against the Cleveland Browns on Dec. 10 that set up the game-tying touchdown to force overtime.

I'm not an NFL agent but I would imagine the majority would advise their clients against making a joke such as that while at an airport. Security tends to not find it very funny.

Would this result in a suspension? I could see 1 or 2 games due to conduct detrimental to the league. Who do the Packers have that would replace him as returner? Or would they elect to cut ties and get someone else instead?

12 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Security tends to not find it very funny.

Seemed kind of amusing to me, especially since the TSA has caught a grand total of zero bombs trying to be snuck through security. Still a dumb thing to say I guess but CMON for actually arresting the guy.

Well, okay, yes, but, keeping it to football, I never thought that Trevor Davis was a true bomb threat.

Always figured him for more of an inside-route, possession guy?

Although- maybe that was the problem- he heard "possession", and said he was, not hearing the "of explosives" part.

One of those little mistakes that could happen to anyone. Love the Mickey Mouse Ears he wears!

Image result for Trevor Davis

Just now, bzane said:

Well, okay, yes, but, keeping it to football, I never thought that Trevor Davis was a true bomb threat.

Always figured him for more of an inside-route, possession guy?

Although- maybe that was the problem- he heard "possession", and said he was, not hearing the "of explosives" part.

One of those little mistakes that could happen to anyone. Love the Mickey Mouse Ears he wears!

Image result for Trevor Davis

Well even Davis' NFL scouting report hinted at this:

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2016/04/03/2016-nfl-draft-scouting-report-california-wr-trevor-davis/

Not as explosive as you’d hope

Maybe he was trying to address this.

21 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Seemed kind of amusing to me, especially since the TSA has caught a grand total of zero bombs trying to be snuck through security. Still a dumb thing to say I guess but CMON for actually arresting the guy.

Would rather not stay from the topic of the NFL player but do you have any supporting data for that statement? And some more food for thought - if the TSA has stopped bombs being snuck through before, would they bother to announce it to the public? After all, someone in the future who wants to do something evil could simply read up what hasn't worked before and avoid that.

40 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23089998/green-bay-packers-trevor-davis-arrested-bomb-joke-airport

Would this result in a suspension? I could see 1 or 2 games due to conduct detrimental to the league. Who do the Packers have that would replace him as returner? Or would they elect to cut ties and get someone else instead?

He's not going to get suspended. That's just a stupid thing to do.

4 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

Would rather not stay from the topic of the NFL player but do you have any supporting data for that statement? And some more food for thought - if the TSA has stopped bombs being snuck through before, would they bother to announce it to the public? After all, someone in the future who wants to do something evil could simply read up what hasn't worked before and avoid that.

I dunno about bombs, but I know they find a few thousand guns per year in carry ons. Along with some grenades, gun powder, etc. The TSA posts a year in review each year on their website with some of the stuff they discover. Though it doesn't appear they show anything that seemed like a serious terroristic threat. More stats and pictures of the weird stuff (batarangs, shurikens, cane swords, etc.

I do think it's a little paranoid, arresting over bomb jokes, but I've seen at least a few airports that literally have posted signs saying you'll get detained and potentially arrested if you reference bombs, terrorists, explosions, etc. It's one of those things where maybe it doesn't warrant that kind of punishment, but it's also such a spectacularly stupid thing to do that it's hard to have any sympathy for it.

Just now, RuskieTitan said:

A true inspiration on how to have a successful and lengthy NFL career.

Technically, Aldon Smith still has a roster spot in the NFL. So ... *shrugs*

Archived