Jump to content
bzane

Ereck Shun: Giants' OT No-Show Day 1

Recommended Posts

I think the Giants have to seriously start looking at the quality of personality they draft in the first round.  They're a perfect example of why personality is a very serious and important part in scouting.  Apple, Flowers and Beckham have all displayed selfish behavior at best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think the Giants have to seriously start looking at the quality of personality they draft in the first round.  They're a perfect example of why personality is a very serious and important part in scouting.  Apple, Flowers and Beckham have all displayed selfish behavior at best. 

True dat, @HorizontoZenith! Jerry Reese was notorious for drafting "athletic-freak" project guys, without considering whether they could actually, you know, play football, or would be good additions to the team. I think his head was turned by the success of Jason Pierre-Paul, a rare athletic specimen who worked out; he was emboldened by that particular thrown dart hitting the bullseye to try again, with Adrienne Robinson, Flowers and Apple, as you noted. I suppose it ought to be admitted that JPP, for all his abilities on the field, wasn't ever asked to try out for the Vienna Boys' Choir himself- the little matter of the blown-up hand and all.

Reese also, mysteriously, made in an annual tradition to squander his third-round draft pick; his drafting was pretty terrible after that first glorious year of 2007 in general, but the Third Round become the Black Hole Of New York Giants' fortunes. Davis Webb, a city turns its lonely eyes to you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think the Giants have to seriously start looking at the quality of personality they draft in the first round.  They're a perfect example of why personality is a very serious and important part in scouting.  Apple, Flowers and Beckham have all displayed selfish behavior at best. 

Oh right the Giants can predict behaviour? You do know character are the key things we look out for right? Flowers has always opted to stay in Miami from what I’ve seen. This ain’t anything new. This is voluntary remember.

Also what selfish behaviour has Flowers exhibited?

Also, why on Earth is this a thread?

Edited by Kip Smithers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I feel bad for the guy.  He's a big man physically, but imagine having a city of 8 million people crapping on you.  He's still only 23 years old.  It has to take a toll on your mental health. 

I'm in the minority, but I thought Flowers played well last year minus a couple games. The two interior guys that left to the NFCW for $40 million a piece weren't any better.  I still think Flowers has a future in the NFL as a RT.  Skipping team workouts isn't going to help though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont know much about his issues, but alot of players cant handle the big market pressure.    Places like New York, Dallas Los Angeles and Chicago are not good places for thin-skinned players.  The media and fans turn on you so easily unless you are playing at a high level, and some players cant handle that pressure.    Is that what's happening here?   I dont know, but it cant help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Oh right the Giants can predict behaviour? You do know character are the key things we look out for right? Flowers has always opted to stay in Miami from what I’ve seen. This ain’t anything new. This is voluntary remember.

Also what selfish behaviour has Flowers exhibited?

Also, why on Earth is this a thread?

Depends on who you believe on the week 17 situation, really. Garafolo (and a couple others) reported that Flowers chose not to play and checked out in week 17. Schwartz called him a locker room cancer. Other sources suggested he was benched that week for attitude issues. Flowers and Spagnuolo of course said it was all non-sense...but he still didn't play week 17, one way or another. So a lot depends on who you trust there.

It could also be argued that it's still noteworthy regardless, seeing as Flowers attended OTAs last year (so he hasn't always opted to stay in Miami, so it is a new development) and he's also the only Giant not to attend. So this is neither normal for Flowers, nor is it normal for Giants players. Apparently, he actually spent most of the offseason last year in New Jersey, even outside of the OTAs, working out at the Giants facilities, so as far as I can tell, you're just wrong on the point of him staying in Miami (source below.)

Workouts like this are technically optional....but there's also often the understanding that certain players just kind of need to be at those. Anyone with attitude/work ethic concerns, younger players still looking to improve, anyone battling for their spot on the depth chart, etc. And with a new head coach, that's extra incentive to be there as much as possible. It is technically non-mandatory, so he's not going to get fined or anything for missing it. But I guarantee that doesn't look good from the perspective of his new coaches.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/6/3/15733458/bobby-hart-ereck-flowers-working-to-reward-ny-giants-faith-otas

 

Quote

 

Hart, the more media-friendly of the two, spoke to a throng of reporters after Friday’s OTA. He confirmed previous reports that the duo spent most of their offseason in New Jersey training at the Giants’ facility.

“We just wanted to stay up here. Cuts out a lot of confusion going back and forth,” Hart said. “You’re just here, your mind is clear, you can just go work on the things you need to work on.”

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Depends on who you believe on the week 17 situation, really. Garafolo (and a couple others) reported that Flowers chose not to play and checked out in week 17. Schwartz called him a locker room cancer. Other sources suggested he was benched that week for attitude issues. Flowers and Spagnuolo of course said it was all non-sense...but he still didn't play week 17, one way or another. So a lot depends on who you trust there.

It could also be argued that it's still noteworthy regardless, seeing as Flowers attended OTAs last year (so he hasn't always opted to stay in Miami, so it is a new development) and he's also the only Giant not to attend. So this is neither normal for Flowers, nor is it normal for Giants players. Apparently, he actually spent most of the offseason last year in New Jersey, even outside of the OTAs, working out at the Giants facilities, so as far as I can tell, you're just wrong on the point of him staying in Miami (source below.)

Workouts like this are technically optional....but there's also often the understanding that certain players just kind of need to be at those. Anyone with attitude/work ethic concerns, younger players still looking to improve, anyone battling for their spot on the depth chart, etc. And with a new head coach, that's extra incentive to be there as much as possible. It is technically non-mandatory, so he's not going to get fined or anything for missing it. But I guarantee that doesn't look good from the perspective of his new coaches.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/6/3/15733458/bobby-hart-ereck-flowers-working-to-reward-ny-giants-faith-otas

 

 

Cool. And I’m not wrong, because last season was the first time Flowers opted to be around facilities throughout the entirety of the offseason. Now whether he has always showed up to the workouts when it was called upon is a different story. I don’t care even care anyway. Just confused why this is newsworthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think Flowers is in a position to hold out, given how he performed last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Gmen said:

 I feel bad for the guy.  He's a big man physically, but imagine having a city of 8 million people crapping on you.  He's still only 23 years old.  It has to take a toll on your mental health. 

I'd let a nation of 200 million plus crap on me, as long as I make what he makes annually and still get to keep my family and close friends around. Total strangers hating? They can take a hike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, 1BackInBlackFan said:

 I opened the thread thinking who is Ereck Shun?:$

Half the Giants team is wondering the same thing, so you're in the clear buddy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheChancellor said:

Half the Giants team is wondering the same thing, so you're in the clear buddy.

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Flowers has always opted to stay in Miami from what I’ve seen. This ain’t anything new. 

 

11 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Apparently, he actually spent most of the offseason last year in New Jersey, even outside of the OTAs, working out at the Giants facilities, so as far as I can tell, you're just wrong on the point of him staying in Miami.

 

9 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

And I’m not wrong, because last season was the first time Flowers opted to be around facilities throughout the entirety of the offseason. Now whether he has always showed up to the workouts when it was called upon is a different story. I don’t care even care anyway. Just confused why this is newsworthy

Option A) You thought Flowers was training in Florida last year, when he wasn’t. 

Option B) You made a misinformed statement that he never goes to OTAs, when he in fact went last year. 

Sounds like you were wrong to me, homie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

 

 

Option A) You thought Flowers was training in Florida last year, when he wasn’t. 

Option B) You made a misinformed statement that he never goes to OTAs, when he in fact went last year. 

Sounds like you were wrong to me, homie.

No what I thought, or rather what I interpreted is that, because Flowers has been known to go home and train with his dad that he typically doesn’t show up to these things, as a big deal was made last year that he spent the entire offseason at our facilities. I’m well aware of what he did last year before it was either. So I was perhaps wrong in thinking he has always missed OTAs. Seen as you wanna be technical, vulture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×