1 hour ago, Slinky said:

I've never played any of the other GoW games. Will I be lost if I start this up without playing the others? 

Also curious 

7 hours ago, Slinky said:

I've never played any of the other GoW games. Will I be lost if I start this up without playing the others? 

As far as I can tell, not at all. At the point I'm at in the game (maybe 10-15 hours in), I don't think I've encountered anything that really requires knowledge from any of the past games. Aside from needing at least a vague understanding that Kratos is a Greek God, and even then, a character states outright that you're a God not from around here like 4 or 5 hours in, and you can kinda figure out what he's god of from the series's title. But so far, there isn't a single recurring character aside from Kratos, and he has changed drastically enough and enough time has passed that nothing from the first trilogy has really mattered so far. Which is probably intentional. Last game was 8 years ago. And the original trilogy was never very plot heavy. The plot was really just excuses to viciously kill things. There's a bit more to this one, so a mostly fresh start suits it.

At most, if you really just didn't want to go in blind, honestly, a brief Youtube video recap would be more than enough info for you, if you're really concerned. It would mostly just be a recap of who he killed and why. Would give a little bit of explanation to his personality and opinions, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

As far as I can tell, not at all. At the point I'm at in the game (maybe 10-15 hours in), I don't think I've encountered anything that really requires knowledge from any of the past games. Aside from needing at least a vague understanding that Kratos is a Greek God, and even then, a character states outright that you're a God not from around here like 4 or 5 hours in, and you can kinda figure out what he's god of from the series's title. But so far, there isn't a single recurring character aside from Kratos, and he has changed drastically enough and enough time has passed that nothing from the first trilogy has really mattered so far. Which is probably intentional. Last game was 8 years ago. And the original trilogy was never very plot heavy. The plot was really just excuses to viciously kill things. There's a bit more to this one, so a mostly fresh start suits it.

At most, if you really just didn't want to go in blind, honestly, a brief Youtube video recap would be more than enough info for you, if you're really concerned. It would mostly just be a recap of who he killed and why. Would give a little bit of explanation to his personality and opinions, but that's about it.

Yeah I'm around 20 hours in (with some decent sidequesting/exploring) and all you've needed to know so far is Kratos was a man (who was actually Zeus' son but didn't know until later, so technically demigod) who became a God from Greece and it would also be helpful to know that he killed most of that pantheon because of what they did to him and his human family, which was Ares tricking Kratos into killing his wife and daughter in order to turn him into a better killing machine since Kratos was sworn to serve ares. Then, Kratos became the God of War in Ares place after killing him and it turned into him killing the rest of the pantheon because they kept using him and screwing him over, essentially.

All that will be enough to explain why Kratos is as strong as he is, why people may be looking for him and why he is distrustful/hates Gods, and teaches Atreus that.

Minor and vague spoiler ahead involving how much of that background has really come into play so far in the first 15-20 hours.

The Norse Gods have been relatively background characters compared to the first three games where you interacted with them almost constantly, but nearly every time you do interact with a Norse God, Kratos' history is discussed at some length, and I would speculate that later in the game more Gods might start showing up and talking to Kratos about it so it may become more relevant, especially with the whole part from the trailer where Kratos tells Atreus that "their are consequences of killing a God" and Atreus gets mad asking how he knows".

Overall though, you could practically consider this a brand new IP, and not knowing Kratos' background may end up making it even more interesting to you.

I would also say that this game is so good that you shouldn't risk playing the other 3 first just in case you die before you would have finished them and got a chance to start this one. It's hard to compare games across genres/time since the first three were very different but imo this game is so much better on almost every level, although GoW3 was pretty amazing going around killing all the gods. This game now has a 9.2 user score on metacritic, which ties it as the #9th highest rated game of all time with 24 other games, including TW3(on console), which I would personally say has a lot of good comparisons with this game.

This game is easily far and away the current front runner for GotY 2018.

14 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

This game is easily far and away the current front runner for GotY 2018.

Just wanna add, I second this 100% so far. I've played at least a decent amount of both Far Cry 5 and Monster Hunter. Enjoyed both. But this is unquestionably my favorite game that's come out this year. Bought a PS4 because of it, as I've historically owned Microsoft/Nintendo consoles, and it has absolutely been worth it so far.

Posted (edited)

Comment deleted not knowing how to hide content

Edited by riceman80

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, riceman80 said:

Comment deleted not knowing how to hide content

[/spoiler]Just remove the / in the first tag[/spoiler]

Edited by TXsteeler

I cant possibly overstate how incredible this game is.

Got past the dragon in the mountain tonight. One of the funnest boss battles ive done in a long while. Between that fight and Baldur, idk how their supposed to top them continuously thru the game. This game is everything i could've hoped for.

Buy this game people. Like yesterday.

I played another 8 or so hours yesterday doing mostly exploring and side quests, I'm enjoying this game more than I've enjoyed any game in a very long time, to the point where I wish I had bought the stonemason edition. The only other game on this level I've played this console generation is TW3.

I don't even know how far through the story I am, but it's one of those games where you are going through and you start to get upset that it will eventually end. I've heard it took a dev 60 hours to 100% the game knowing where everything was though, so I should have plenty of time left. I hope the devs release expansions for this game and I hope the next game doesn't take another 5 years to complete.

This game is so good that I'm playing it and pointing out all of its flaws and ways it could be better to myself because It's easier to work backwards from perfection than it is to start from the bottom and go up. If you were to compare every game that's ever come out just on how good they actually are, and ignored nostalgia, games being great for their time, and games setting new precedence or opening new doors for the gaming world at large, God of War is probably very close to being the greatest game of all time, at least for any game you can compare a single player experience to.

Most of those flaws are extremely minor things that exist in every game but are just ignored, like small clipping issues or map icons being a little to big and nonadjustable but GoW just feels next level to the point where those things are beneath it. Some of them are design choices which I wish they had gone a different way with, like the map not being very detailed or not being able to sell your extra pommels and talismans you will never use again.

The only one real weak point I would say this game has is that it's music doesn't suck me into the world. There are some parts where you're exploring and some Nordic sounding music comes on but it really just reminds me of how much better the music was in WoW: Wrath of the Lich King in areas like Grizzly Hills and Howling Fjord. That and one time I died and one of the tips gave away a spoiler, (which is also in a few articles on the top of google when I search "God of War" which is really annoying and should be something I can sue for, like it hasn't even been a full weekend and these clickbait bloodsuckers are ruining stuff), and that's pretty frustrating and probably an oversight.

All in all though I'm probably only halfway or maybe a bit more through the game and I can't praise it enough. All the don't really detract from the game because its still one of the best I've ever played, if not the best. Any major game outlet that doesn't give this game a 10 is spewing BS considering what other games they give 10s and the little it takes to give a 9. I'd personally never award a 10/10 because no game will be perfect but those reviewers don't use those standards, although its got a 10/10 on most major outlets.

Posted (edited)

Is this game more like Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor/War or MGS: The Phantom Pain?  Not character or story wise but game play and exploration/missions.

Or am I way off in comparisons?

Edited by kingseanjohn

23 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Is this game more like Skyrim, Shadow of Mordor/War or MGS: The Phantom Pain?  Not character or story wise but game play and exploration/missions.

Or am I way off in comparisons?

Having played skyrim and shadow of war (somewhat) I would say it's more like shadow of war in gameplay for sure, Skyrim is pretty unique. I think a really good comprison is The Witcher 3 tbh.

I'm 4 hours in, and this is a fantastic game. The camera work is a breath of fresh air. Having zero cut scenes, everything is just one long scene between gameplay and scenes from when you start till game end... is awesome. Can't put my finger on it but it really adds to the immersiveness.  

Also, I'm a sucker for father-son stories. 

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

Having played skyrim and shadow of war (somewhat) I would say it's more like shadow of war in gameplay for sure, Skyrim is pretty unique. I think a really good comprison is The Witcher 3 tbh.

I’m a bit behind and haven’t played TW3. But thanks for the response. It gives me a good idea 

34 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I’m a bit behind and haven’t played TW3. But thanks for the response. It gives me a good idea 

Witcher 3 is more freely open world than this game but it is the best comp imo as well. It's like the original God of War but the graphics, cinematics, and environment of a game like FF13 plus theres 9 different maps im thinking(1 for each realm), gobs of collectibles and side missions in addition to the main storyline, and weapons/armor/skillset upgrades dynamics. The best comparison really is that some took God of War and gave it the look and feel of The Witcher 3, tho Witcher 3 is more freely open world.

It takes the best parts of some of the greatest action/adventure games of the last decade and blends beautifully with a cinematic experience thats unparalleled as @NickButera said. There are no cutscenes, the whole game just flows as one beautiful piece.