Brock announced starter against Saints

BwickRedux

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Hopefully just showcasing him with the 1s

That may very well be what they are doing, but if he is our best chance to win games right now, then that's what we need to do.

I know we're still in "rebuild mode", but we need to take some positive steps on the field, and win some ballgames.  If Hue things that B.O. is the guy, then that's who we need to run with. 

I don't think it can be discounted that he moved the offense best on Friday night - with none of the QBs separating themselves from the others, that may have been all it took for Hue to peg him as QB1. I'm really disappointed in Cody tho - the starting job was his for the taking and he really has taken a step backward it seems.

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I believe it's a show case like @sdrawkcab321 said

It's certainly possible but a lot of the media members have mentioned how Kessler hasn't looked good in practice and Osweiler and Kizer have both flashed a lot more than Kessler.

I won't say it something, but I don't think it's nothing either. 

I also can't see Hue wasting precious preseason reps on a player he has no plans to play.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It's certainly possible but a lot of the media members have mentioned how Kessler hasn't looked good in practice and Osweiler and Kizer have both flashed a lot more than Kessler.

I won't say it something, but I don't think it's nothing either. 

I also can't see Hue wasting precious preseason reps on a player he has no plans to play.

That is something I totally agree with.  We're not talking about the Pats playing Jimmy G and Jacoby B through the bulk of the preseason, knowing that you've got one of the GOAT ready to go come week 1 of the regular season.  

I think this goes to show the delicate balance the team is trying to strike between adapting a "win now" vs. "young and rebuilding" mentality. The front office is clearly on the young and rebuilding side, which they've shown in how they're constructing the roster in February through May - then they hand it over to Hue who is more on the win now side of things using the pieces he's been provided.

Specifically to the Brock decision, it shows Hue is not ready to go all in on Kizer's development at the sacrifice of a possible early season win. You go with the guy who looks the best so far and don't weight the decision when it comes to other factors (like "seeing what they have" in a rookie).

I think showcasing is the most likely reasoning here. Plus it drives up his price if he's our "projected starter." This doesn't make a ton of sense as a legit move if what I read a few days ago about Kessler/Kizer splitting 1st team reps and Osweiler being permanent 2nd team was correct.

Archived