Brock announced starter against Saints

BwickRedux

I think the only change this week in the rotation is flipping Kessler and kizer.  I think Cody is about ready to settle into his role as a 10 plus year decent back up.  Brock starts vs. the Giants, not sure after that but I think Hue makes the starter for week 1 shortly before the 3rd preseason game.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

I think the only change this week in the rotation is flipping Kessler and kizer.  I think Cody is about ready to settle into his role as a 10 plus year decent back up.  Brock starts vs. the Giants, not sure after that but I think Hue makes the starter for week 1 shortly before the 3rd preseason game.

I think Kessler starts this week and Kizer is #2 and depending how they look that will set the order for week three. I don't think we have our starter named until after the 3rd game. I'll say the leader in the competition starts week three which could be any of the three but they will have to seal the deal. If not they may continue it in the 4th game as a tiebreaker between...whoever.

Kessler was the leader before camp. Brock got the start week 1 and was likely the leader at that point. Kizer may be the leader now because he had the best game. I still think Kessler will get the start this week. Kizer very well could start week 3 though and a good game could get him named starter for the opener.

The reason I think Hue names a starter before the 3rd game is because that is the game that starters play the most, and they really start gelling the team together for week 1.  Starters traditionally hardly play at all during the 4th game.  The 4th is the game where the bottom of the roster plays the most as teams try to make the decisions for the roster cut down.

They will slow roll Kizer, but I almost expect him to start early on in the season.  He looks the part and seems to have the mental toughness he will need.  I would like to see how he could do with the ones at least one preseason game to really gauge his effectiveness.  I was thoroughly impressed by his two long balls against NO and we all know that is what Hue wanted to see out of Kessler last year.  It will be very interesting to see how everything plays out. 

8 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

The reason I think Hue names a starter before the 3rd game is because that is the game that starters play the most, and they really start gelling the team together for week 1.  Starters traditionally hardly play at all during the 4th game.  The 4th is the game where the bottom of the roster plays the most as teams try to make the decisions for the roster cut down.

Yeah that is how it works if you have a starter but when there are 3 guys competing for the starting QB spot it would be hard to come to a conclusion after just 2 games or 20 or 30 pass attempts.

2 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Yeah that is how it works if you have a starter but when there are 3 guys competing for the starting QB spot it would be hard to come to a conclusion after just 2 games or 20 or 30 pass attempts.

Plus an entire off season of practices.  That time getting chemistry with the first team unit in the 3rd game is very important.  We saw it in the first game with Osweiler.  The lack of reps with the ones was glaring early on in the game.  The O was smoothing things out early in the 2nd quarter and driving when subs started coming in.  We really need to know the starter prior to week 3 of the preseason, and I believe that we will.

1 hour ago, DizzyDean said:

Plus an entire off season of practices.  That time getting chemistry with the first team unit in the 3rd game is very important.  We saw it in the first game with Osweiler.  The lack of reps with the ones was glaring early on in the game.  The O was smoothing things out early in the 2nd quarter and driving when subs started coming in.  We really need to know the starter prior to week 3 of the preseason, and I believe that we will.

Well if that is the case there is a real good chance Brock isn't going to be the starter because he made a lot of the same type of throws he has made his whole career that has made him a below average starter. If he only has 1 more game to try to erase those errant throws from everyone's mind so he better be perfect.

Brock was 3-7 for 16 yards in the 2nd quarter. He was 1-3 for 0 yards on three other pass attempts in the 2nd quarter that were nullified by a defensive penalty, but in a preseason game they probably should be factored in because it is an evaluation process and not so much about wins/losses. So Brock was 4-10 for 16 yards once he started to gel with the offense.

I am referring to the final drive Brock was in.  I do expect a marked improvement from him bs the Giants with more practice reps with the ones.  That said, I stand by my assertion.  Kessler is settling into his decade plus back up role.  I have no idea if it will be kizer or osweiler in week 3 as the starter, but whichever it is, I expect them to start week one.

it is a difficult and unfair spot for osweiler though when it comes to the fans though.  For example if Brock starts for the steelers and goes 12 for 26 for 165 yards 1 td and 2 ints, the fans will want his head on a pike.

if kizer starts week one and has the exact same stat line, fans will be calling for patience.

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well if that is the case there is a real good chance Brock isn't going to be the starter because he made a lot of the same type of throws he has made his whole career that has made him a below average starter...

To me this was the biggest take away. He didnt look any different than what he was in Denver and Houston. He cant hit a deep pass ( most inaccurate deep ball passer in '15 & '16), he was captain check down again ( He was captain check down in '15 & '16), and he couldnt handle any pressure (pretty sure he had one of, if not the lowest completion percentage and QB rating the past two years when he was pressured). 

He really didnt show anything great. Yeah we know he has had a lack of reps with the 1st but look at Kizer, he really didnt have that much reps with the 3rd/4th string players. Kizer was splitting reps with Kessler  and Hogan was mainly getting the reps with the future roster cut guys. Kizer stepped in and looked pretty good and showed off his strengths. Brock was only highlighting on his issues again.

A couple of things, the 2015 Denver O was not a stretch the field O, it was built for a physically broken Manning with a noodle arm.  That said, at 2:50 of this video, Brock has a beautiful deep ball that is quite honestly perfect, he drops it in the bucket over the WRs shoulder, in stride, on a  rope.

Last year was just a disaster all around.

While not overly informative, this is also an interesting watch.

That said, the 2nd video also puts out all of the reasons why he could fail here too, since most apply here as well outside of the BOB never being able to be an offensive guru/develop a QB.  Hue can and has.

Archived