Brock announced starter against Saints

BwickRedux

Well, there are two ways to look at this: 1- We are showcasing him for the league to see so they can trade him away. or 2- He is the best QB on the team and kessler n kizer had their chances. They didn't impress.

I'm cool with either one. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

33 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Well, there are two ways to look at this: 1- We are showcasing him for the league to see so they can trade him away. or 2- He is the best QB on the team and kessler n kizer had their chances. They didn't impress.

I'm cool with either one. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Well I agree there should be a competition but if the competition is decided (it isn't) from camp there may be a problem. I think Brock earned the first start in the coaches eyes and probably deservingly so. Just being the best QB in camp doesn't mean he is the best QB on the team. If our offensive line is really good maybe Brock will look better behind it. I'm willing to see this play out.

My issue with Brock v Cody. 

Who looked better last year in practice rg3 or Kessler? Rg3, I think that Kessler will never look great in practice because he isn't a specimen like the other two. 

But he can play, he had. Better college career than Brock he had a better 2016 than Brock. He is better between the white lines than Brock is. Maybe, happy to be wrong.

36 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Who looked better last year in practice rg3 or Kessler? Rg3, I think that Kessler will never look great in practice because he isn't a specimen like the other two. 

But he can play, he had. Better college career than Brock he had a better 2016 than Brock. He is better between the white lines than Brock is. Maybe, happy to be wrong.

I feel the same way, Kessler isn't a "practice player", but he does just fine on game day.

Better than the reverse...

40 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Pretty sure Kessler was a distant 3rd behind RGIII and McCown. With his limitations Cody has to be really good at what he does to be a starter in this league. There is a chance because of his limitations that he never really gets that shot to show it and is a career backup. Compared to the other quarterbacks we trotted out last year Cody was much more productive but still was probably the coaches third choice when all were healthy. His first choice doesn't have a job and his second choice is the likely starter for the Jets.

Honestly Cody is probably better off in another system. He doesn't have a lot of value and is a great backup option so he will probably be doing that until his contract is up. Best case scenario for him is if Brock looks terrible and Cody gets his chance and the team goes on a great run right off the bat. Start 5-2 and it would be hard to replace the QB.

It was weird, hearing his presser while driving home. He said it a few times that the one thing he liked about Brock being the #1 is it means Kessler and Kizer will get more reps during the first game. Saying the young guys need as many game reps as possible. Naming Kessler or Kizer #1, means they only play a 2, maybe 3 series in the game. Maybe it was a ploy to make sure his young QBs get more meaningful reps. I also think its  better for Kizer to be #3 for his first game action. I know he will be playing with the #3s but I would like to see him going against the #3s.

Radio was also saying today was prolly the best practice Brock has had with the Browns. Dustin Fox said maybe this was a way or a message that has been sent to Brock. Maybe Hue wanted to break him down, get rid of that attitude he developed with Denver and Texans. Show Brock that his -ish does in fact stink and that nothing will be given to him. If he wants to be the QB for the Browns he has to earn it.

2 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

I think he deserves it

He probably does in a QB comp determined by training camp. 

Based on history the clear cut starter is Kessler. 

TBH I was a better practice player than game player a lot of the time, I did better in the structure of practice than a lot of players, who were better in the more chaotic games. 

I think Kessler has better instincts than Osweiler, Osweiler has better tools than Kessler. 

I think guys with better tools often make more mistakes because at lower levels they are used to arming their way to victory. Classic examples are Jamarcus Russell and Ryan Leaf who had no other characteristic of a franchise quarterback than super amazing arm talent. Osweiler isn't as talented and not as flawed as those guys.

Kessler has never had it, another examples is Hoyer, who has never had a lot of talent, from what I understand Hoyer wasn't even great at high school, but working with his limitations he has become a functional NFL player. I think Kessler is a slightly more talented Hoyer. 

Another possible reason I read somewhere else for Brock being the starter is just the amount of snaps a starter plays in the first preseason game.

Kessler and Kizer need the reps associated with being a second or third string qb week one much more than a guy entering year 6. Let him play one or two drives and let the young guys play the rest.

Archived