Why There's Zero Chance We Take Allen, But Why We're Not Taking Darnold

Mind Character

11 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I can respect that opinion, but for me personnally I wouldn't feel good if they had a "Brees feel"

If they say he's Brees... then I don't trust their eyes... I'd question their scouting eye... What elements of Brees' game are similar to Baker's beyond their size and football intelligence. Their personalities are completely different. They throw the ball completely differently in terms of pacing and mechanics... Baker's a drop-down sling shot thrower like Gannon...Brees is a traditional longer motion always finishes with weight over his toes like a Tennis swing... their pass sets, feet, and strength as passers is different. Brees was elite of elite at anticipation throws. Baker's not on that level... Baker's a great QB but his play style is more Rich Gannon as an elite distributer of the football..Mayfield

Darnold play more resembles Favre (improvisation, back shoulder anticipation), Rodgers (4th quarter poise, off platform pinpoint accuracy, clutch comeback focus), Rivers (uncanny anticipation, accuracy when feet aren't precise) and healthier Big Ben (deep boundary anticipation and precision, pocket strength and change of direction to new platform)..

.. if I had to pick it would be 3 instead of 4 for Baker in terms of play style it would be prime Rich Gannon (uncanny precision window thrower, quick decision maker, can extend the play), Phillip Rivers (awkward arm angle accuracy), Kirk Cousins (deep ball boundary ability and pinpoint accuracy when running to the right),

Hey mind so I don't post a lot but always read and have a lot of respect for your info you put on here. Just curious when you talk about the fo maybe seeing Brees in mayfield are you thinking current Brees or Brees coming out of Purdue? Physically I can see why maybe they think that. Maturity wise I see the big difference. Just curious how you view them being compared coming out. 

16 hours ago, Mind Character said:

John Dorsey is the slyest of foxes when it comes to keeping his hand hidden. He hides his hand from his coaches, scouts, and even the owner until he last possible minute. This has be known to drive scouting personnel, coaches, and Owners crazy. Such lack of transparency and non-collaborative decisions are what led to his downfall and falling out of favor with the Hunt's and Andy Reid in Kansas City.

From his time in GB, KS, and now in Cleveland he has always stayed true to what he sees as the desirable traits for a QB.

Let's take a look at what he's said in Cleveland (hint he says the same things and uses the same words in his time in GB and KS).

Here's his comments side by side.....

---------------

At the senior bowl---

Writer Zac Jackson's Question: "What do you value most in a Quarterback?"

At the 6:00 minute mark....John Dorsey's Answer:  "Do they win, do they have the physical skills necessary to play that position, do they have a strong arm, do they have deep ball accuracy, do they have feet, can they extend the play, are they a leader of men...we can go on and on but at the end of the day it's about winning"

----------

At the intro press conference at the 24:54 mark

"Does he win... number 1... does he have the physical skills, feet, accuracy, do they have the mindset of the head coach, can they digest the playbook and a lot of information... do players gravitate to him... what does he do in adverse situations.... can he extend the play....can he drive it and win it at the end of the game"

----------

When we look at the prospects at the top and see which one's have the full set of characteristics Dorsey looks for in a QB... Only Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold check all the boxes of players that are #1 WINNERS, have feet, downfield accuracy, leadership intangibles (do players naturally gravitate to them), can extend the play, have driven it at the end of the game to win, have poise in adverse situations, and the necessary skills a the QB position.

Josh Rosen is disqualified due to not being able to extend the play, not winning a lot, and leadership concerns from people of Dorsey's ilk.

Josh Allen is disqualified due to not winning a lot, not having downfield accuracy, not having poise in adverse situations, and having bad feet.

Of those characteristics, Baker Mayfield has the edge on Darnold due to exceptional/rare Leadership abilities; however, Darnold is the better QB when it comes to end of game/pressure situations (Darnold displayed this in 9 games in his career which is insane; Baker in 7 games in a longer career), extending the play, throwing with anticipation, and having the necessary skills to play QB.

--------------

Interestingly,

In comments to beat writers at the Owner's meeting (https://www.ohio.com/akron/sports/browns/browns-gm-john-dorsey-says-he-has-clarity-of-thought-after-spending-last-week-with-the-four-top-rated-quarterbacks-in-draft  

John Dorsey said of Darnold, “I thought he had a really nice workout. I thought he showed feet, he showed the ability to roll out, extend the play, he showed the quick release, he showed downfield accuracy. I mean it really was a really good workout.

---------------

Only given the 2 as options Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold the coaches (Haley, Zampese, Hue) are all in on Darnold over Mayfield.

Dorsey and McCloughan are team Mayfield to the very end.... as their voice is what matters the most, their opinion wins out....

Can the coaches and Jimmy be swayed? Can we afford to take a great QB with off the charts emotional intelligence and leadership but with a high level of emotional immaturity and emotional self-control issues? Why would we do so when Darnold has all the other characteristics except he fumbles the ball? Other interesting questions like these are the more relevant questions...not will we take Allen at 1? which isn't a real possibility

It's down to Mayfield and Darnold... forget all the rumors of Josh Allen....

If I had to bet on it... I'd still say meathead Dorsey and McCloughan win out and Baker Mayfield ends up being the guy

My biggest problem with this is, a field general, leader of men, does not lose confidence in himself which Darnold clearly has and admitted as much to the media.  Clearly he still has otherwise he would have been eager to throw at the combine on the same stage, in the same spotlight as his peers.  To prove that he is the best.  He did not, because he knows that he is not.  The only legit reasons for not throwing at the combine as a QB is if you are either injured, or you are far and away the consensus best QB in the draft.  Neither of these apply to him.

Oh, and PS, from what I have seen, Hue was gushing over Mayfield, absolutely seemed to love him.   I think it would be a slam dunk that he would be the pick if Hue was making the call.  HEE HEE!

7 hours ago, BaYArEa32 said:

Hey mind so I don't post a lot but always read and have a lot of respect for your info you put on here. Just curious when you talk about the fo maybe seeing Brees in mayfield are you thinking current Brees or Brees coming out of Purdue? Physically I can see why maybe they think that. Maturity wise I see the big difference. Just curious how you view them being compared coming out. 

Thanks. Just a dude trying to make sense of the craziness like everybody else...

I was strictly speaking of Brees at Purdue and his first few years in the league on the Chargers.

They are both highly intelligent, love the game of football, are accurate, and are not the prototypical QB size.

For me, that's where the comparisons end as they throw the ball completely different in terms of mechanics (Baker's a drop-down sling shot thrower like Gannon...Brees is a traditional longer motion always finishes with weight over his toes like a Tennis swing), their anticipation throwing ability is completely different, they move completely different as Quarterback athletes (their pass set and foot patter), they play with a different rhythm, process and have different pocket vision, etc...

To me, the comparisons that matter are in the style of play.

Now, if we're just talking about a superficial comparison of Baker as a shorter, accurate, intelligent, and really good QB similar to how Brees was a shorter, accurate, intelligent, and really good QB...then there is indeed a superficial comparison that makes sense.

44 minutes ago, DizzyDean said:

Notice a pattern there?  Tons of busts and some consensus best QBs in the draft.  Thanks for supporting my point.

Yeah... this is why I don't typically respond to your posts as the confirmation bias is strong in you...yeah, Andrew Luck, Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgetwater, Sam Bradford, Ryan Tannehill, Matthew Stafford, Matt Ryan... all busts (injury aside)... not throwing at the combine has zero to do with anything... and if you can't reason that out.. then well....you know what...why bother...

I can get on board with any of the QBs given the right circumstance, although Darnold is far and above my favorite.

id be okay with Mayfield if we traded even from 1 to 2 and picked up another 2nd. It would ease the pain.

There's 1 thing that is certain...we are in no way selecting Allen...

But it could very well be a PR move to get us to accept Mayfield...so if we as fans hear LOUD sounds of Josh Allen over and over again...when we hear Baker mayfield instead of Darnold they may be hoping that we'll just be relieved it's not Allen "At least it was not allen..."

OR the Allen rumors could be started by non-Browns entities as well as a whole host of other possibilities...

41 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

But it could very well be a PR move to get us to accept Mayfield...so if we as fans hear LOUD sounds of Josh Allen over and over again...when we hear Baker mayfield instead of Darnold they may be hoping that we'll just be relieved it's not Allen "At least it was not allen..."

You know you're the worst for this take on how much Dorsey cares about our opinion.

42 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

OR the Allen rumors could be started by non-Browns entities as well as a whole host of other possibilities...

Interesting and possible, but what reason(s) do you think another organization would spend the effort to do our smokescreen for us?

9 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Interesting and possible, but what reason(s) do you think another organization would spend the effort to do our smokescreen for us?

Giants looking to drum up interest for #2 is the only explanation I can come up with.

Archived