Dez Bryant Released

WizardHawk

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Cowboys-likely-to-make-decision-on-Dez-Bryant-before-specific-date-117193070

To be clear, even indecision will be counted as a decision if such potential indifference by theDallas Cowboys extends beyond a certain date. The team is set to open their offseason program on April 16, and why that matters is more clear than most know. If Bryant is still on the roster on that day and reports for duty, his full salary becomes guaranteed against injury for 2018. Currently set to earn a base of $12.5 million along with a bonus $4 million to bring his total cap hit in at an imposing $16.5 million sum, if the Cowboys are going to do anything at all with the All-Pro or his contract it'll need to happen soon

Something is going to happen in next 6 days. Given the lack of communication between the team and Dez and the comments floating around the media, I'm betting come Monday Dallas is without a #1 WR, 

Edited by WizardHawk

For a team on the cusp of something good, its kind of stupid to think theyd release their top receiver over a cap hit they can mamage this year. It would practically force them into a receiver early in the draft as well, unless they are fine banking on Noah "Whos this guy" Brown and Terrance "Why try when I already got paid" Williams.

We are already operating under the restrictions of his 16.5 million hit. It doesn't get even more imposing than it already is, and there is nothing we can do to get all of it back.

Having said all of that, we have passed up the prime FA period and have already restructured/resigned our own guys. The draft doesn't cost diddly, so what the hell would we need the money for anyway?

I'd rather have Dez over paid on our roster than playing for someone else just so we can have the comfort of having a little space that we don't even need anymore.

Edited by DaBoys

1 minute ago, DaBoys said:

We are already operating under the restrictions of his 16.5 million hit. It doesn't get even more imposing than it already is, and there is nothing we can do to get all of it back.

Having said all of that, we have passed up the prime FA period and have already restructured/resigned our own guys. The draft doesn't cost diddly, so what the he'll would we need the money for anyway?

I'd rather have Dez over paid on our roster than playing for someone else just so we can have the comfort of having a little space that we don't even need anymore.

Exactly what Im saying. Who you are you planning to sign if you get any cap space back at this point? And what does his cap space do for a team whos only real remaining moves is a draft that already is accounted for in their rookie cap? Makes no sense.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

No. To this entire thread. Just no.

We won't give up on the most passionate person since the Playmaker. No.

Sure we will. Because we're led by a bunch of idiots.

• Like 1

I am speechless. 

I hate to admit it, but when I was young and worked night shifts, I woke up to mid afternoon soap opera's . This is the real life version on Dallas. 

But I still say there must be something "more" about the Dez-Dallas relationship we don't know. Maybe Dez is a far bigger cancer than anyone realizes forcing Dallas' hand.

In just get the feeling if Dez is cut, Dez will sign with someone and roast us along the way. A motivated Dez would scare me.

1 hour ago, matt79511 said:

Cutting Dez before the draft without the post-June 1 saves the Cowboys $8.5M against the cap in 2018

Earl Thomas is scheduled to make $8.5M in base salary in 2018

I’m just saying

And so you give up the best playmaker at WR this team has had in some time, to get an aging veteran for the same cap hit plus quality draft capital, with no replacement for that wideout? Just no

• Like 1

If Dez isn't the Playmaker Dak needs to work with, I'm all for trading him up for E. Thomas. At least we will have a veteran defensive QB to help our young, green secondary that ALWAYS gets toasted by good QB's in big games (See B. Jones #1 draft pick on 3rd and 20 in a Div playoff game against GB when we had ALL the momentum at that point.)

Seriously, you are all talking like Dez is only in his 3rd or 4th year, had no injury issues and got over 1000 yards and 10 TD's last year.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Dez+Bryant+stats&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS761US761&oq=Dez+Bryant+stats+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.7631j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

He hasn't hit the 1000 yard mark in 3 years. You say "oh, he had injuries those years" PRECISELY! And he is only getting older.

If it is a toss up of E Thomas vs D Bryant and who could do more for the team this upcoming season, I have to go with E Thomas. With his secondary coach being on our team now, the coach could use a veteran of his caliber to help implement his scheme and acclimate the young guys to it faster.

Looking at Dez Bryant's last 3 injury marred years, what makes you think he is going to be any kind of force this year?

Seeing as how our offense is predicated on the run anyway, and Dez's numbers are down and his injuries continue, I'm going the other way on this.

If drafting a WR early is the answer combined with the FA's we signed and utilizing both Beasley and Switzer, then again I'm all for it.

Simply put, if the chemistry just isn't there for Dez and Dak, than it just becomes an exercise in futility.

Removing the top receiver and inserting new receivers is an extremely difficult process. It is why the bust rate on receivers via draft tends to be so egregiously high over the last 15+ years. Learning route trees and the proper timing can be immensely difficult to do going from one system, be it in a college or from another NFL team, to another. 

Dez has been playing hurt year after year and been in a run first offense for a while now; its hurt his numbers. Combine that with the Romo injuries, and his bout of dropsies (Even Moss, Owens, Harrison, etc had a year or two with drop problems) last year and his numbers look flat. But make no mistake, Dez is a warrior, who plays with passion amd fight on every down. Remember when he dragged 4 DBs to the end zone as little as 5 months ago? Thats the kind of player you get in Dez.

No one complained Dez and Dak werent on the same page when Dez was healthy and catching 8 TDs in only 13 games in a very run heavy offense with a very raw rookie Dak throwing the ball. Only after playing hurt (with foor, ankle and hamstring bugs last year) did he become an issue. 

Sorry but I know far too much about the situations on a football field to believe there is any basis for "Dez and Dak dont work well together" other than grasping at straws to place blame someplace. 

What you should blame is opposing teams. Opposing defenses. They take the field too. And after realizing Williams didnt even try to run a decent route, and the protection was no longer going to keep Dak safe consistently, they played what they saw on film - Cloud Dez so he cant beat you, place a LB rolled to Cole's usual route path, and rush the weak side. Thats how you stopped this offense last year and any pee wee league coach could have said it after just 15 minutes of watching the Cowboys offense. So ebery D we played did this. It eliminated our two weapons with Zeke out, and made our QB run for his life and look like a fool.It made Dez look pathetic. It made Cole look useless.

Upgrade the LG spot so Tyron isnt seeing both inside and outside shoulder rushes. Upgrade the receiver spot opposite Dez. And Dez, Dak, and even Cole, can look like they did in 2016.

Dez is overpaid for his current production.

However,  I believe with additional playmakers, Zeke back, and hopefully better line play will help take pressure off Dez. 

This is not the year to cut him. Let him play out this year. Draft a receiver in the 2nd or 3rd, see what you have in Hurns and the rookie. If Dez has another down year, let him go next year when the dead money is far less.

Option 2. Have Dez take a pay cut while signing an extension. He supposedly loves wearing the star. Sign him to a 3 or 4 year extension with less guaranteed money and less base. You can move a manageable amount of money this year down the road where his base is not nearly what it is now.