Dez Bryant Released

WizardHawk

1 hour ago, ///mcompact said:

Hmmm...I guess I need to go to a special seminar on how to decipher "over the cap".   I was under the impression that we would owe him $4M in 2019, in addition to what we owe him in 2018 ($8M).  Meaning, that no matter how we wanted to pay the $8M guaranteed in 2018 (all now or push half forward into 2019) we'd still have $4M staring us in the face in 2019 ($12M overall guaranteed left on his contract).   So basically, we're eating $8M/$4M or $4M/$8M (2018/2019).  That was the assumption I was working on...which is probably wrong.

Is he only owed $8m and that's it? 

It’s only the $8M if he’s cut and not designated a June 1st cut. All bonus money accelerates onto the current season’s cap, where designating a player as a post June 1st cut spreads the money equally over this year and next.

Further, while we’d eat $8M by cutting him, we’d also be saving $8M against the cap this year because his total cap hit for being on the team in 2018 is $16M.

Edited by plan9misfit
  • Like 1

Few things here before the meeting rolls around tomorrow...

1. Jerry meeting with Dez may be the saving grace. The old man has his issues, but loyalty isn't one of them and players know it. I would also say the same of Dez. I have no illusions he wants to be in Dallas. 
2. If Dez is released, is it safe to say the shift in power is complete? JJ will still have his voice on the radio and TV, but SJ will be the one pulling the strings? 
3. By this time tomorrow, I will probably question my Cowboys fandom and if this is really worth it. I'm in minority in regards to how Romo was handled. I hated it. Still do. I may actually hate this one even more.  

6 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

You think that will finally signal to our GM that Garrett's offense doesn't work unless you have every player performing at a Pro-Bowl level at ever snap?  It should. 

This is a very bandwagoned comment.

When ANY offense is working well, you end up with pro bowlers and vice versa. Doesnt matter what offense it is.

28 minutes ago, 5x10 said:

Dez will be the second cowboy that dak has run off via the front office (buying into daks rookie year)

romo and Dez 

disgusting 

Dak ran them.off? Uhhh...over react much?

Romo could not stay healthy. I love Romo. But he could not stay healthy and the team was like 7-1 when Romo was able to come.back. You csnt bench the hot hand leading a team on a roll. Then between age, health and cap hit, it was just time to ask him to step down or retire. He was loyal enough to retire, and likely concernrd of his long term health as well.

Dez? Still remains to be seen if he is cut or not. And I doubt Dak walked into JJs office saying "Cut my best receiver, please!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

This is a very bandwagoned comment.

When ANY offense is working well, you end up with pro bowlers and vice versa. Doesnt matter what offense it is.

That's not what I meant with the below comment. 

7 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

You think that will finally signal to our GM that Garrett's offense doesn't work unless you have every player performing at a Pro-Bowl level at ever snap?  It should.

1 hour ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Romo could not stay healthy. I love Romo. But he could not stay healthy and the team was like 7-1 when Romo was able to come.back. You csnt bench the hot hand leading a team on a roll. Then between age, health and cap hit, it was just time to ask him to step down or retire. He was loyal enough to retire, and likely concernrd of his long term health as well.

Dez? Still remains to be seen if he is cut or not. And I doubt Dak walked into JJs office saying "Cut my best receiver, please!"

Agreed fully.

Edited by ///mcompact

23 hours ago, will2ill said:

I've been hearing this a lot this off season.....What exactly does "Dak Friendly" mean?  I've never heard this used for any other QB. Ex. "Brady Friendly", "Vick Friendly", "McNabb Friendly", "Romo Friendly". Really? lol

"Dak friendly" is a term which is a spinoff from "The Romo Friendly offense," which is a term that someone in the organization(Jerry I think) coined to define our shotgun 11 scheme with Romo at QB. 

A scheme that we have mostly kept during Daks first two years. Now that the scheme has failed the organization has said they will spend the off season defining a Dak friendly offense.

The fans have taken this a step further by stating that we need Dak friendly WRs too, not just a scheme.  

From what I gather, the fans feel like a Dak friendly WR is a small, quick, shifty, route runner. I believe they feel this way because that's the opposite of Dez, and he came 400 yards shy of his expected output. Sounds to me like an excuse for bad QB play. Tom Brady makes it work with Amendolas' and Randy Moss. He doesn't need a special type of good WR. Just a good WR.

Anyway, my question is how can a WR THAT DOESN'T NEED TO BE OPEN not be a bff for a QB? Ffs 

Edited by DaBoys

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

"Dak friendly" is a term which is a spinoff from "The Romo Friendly offense," which is a term that someone in the organization(Jerry I think) coined to define our shotgun 11 scheme with Romo at QB. 

A scheme that we have mostly kept during Daks first two years. Now that the scheme has failed the organization has said they will spend the off season defining a Dak friendly offense.

The fans have taken this a step further by stating that we need Dak friendly WRs too, not just a scheme.  

From what I gather, the fans feel like a Dak friendly WR is a small, quick, shifty, route runner. I believe they feel this way because that's the opposite of Dez, and he came 400 yards shy of his expected output. Sounds to me like an excuse for bad QB play. Tom Brady makes it work with Amendolas' and Randy Moss. He doesn't need a special type of good WR. Just a good WR.

Anyway, my question is how can a WR THAT DOESN'T NEED TO BE OPEN not be a bff for a QB? Ffs 

Makes sense.  

8 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I meant head management buying into the one year hype

romo couldn’t compete for his job

dak can’t throw accurate balls, which Dez can’t catch

Edited by 5x10

You know, maybe I'm the old timer on this site (46 years of age) I doubt it. But it is awfully funny how history has a way of repeating itself. Many of these comments about releasing Romo and now possibly Dez are reasons to give up on this team.

I heard something eerily similar about 30 years ago when JJ bought the team and fired Landry, the biggest, baddest Cowboy of them all!

It got even worse when they went 1-15 in 89. And then more so when we traded our ONLY good player in H. Walker.

I wonder how all of that turned out???

Sometimes you have to cut away all of the old fedders to let the new regime flourish. Even if it looks like all hope is lost.

I hate to keep harping on this, I actually want to throw up just thinking about it, but the Iggles, ONLY 2 years ago, traded or cut the majority of their big weapons on their team under Chip Kelly.

They also traded away multiple draft picks to acquire one Carson Wentz.

So only 2 years removed, they got an entire new coaching staff, young QB, a 1st round pick for Sammy Sleeves, able to sign multiple FA's and make solid trades to bolster their team, and walk away with a SB trophy.

Now, Dez or no Dez, we are not even CLOSE to their level of desperation only 2 years ago. 

Point? You make the right moves for the team, run the scheme that best suites the players you are fielding, and right now Dak has precedence over Dez, and go get your title.

Perhaps Dez is NOT the guy we need. Can he go to another team and be a beast??? SURE!!!! Under Matt Ryan or Arron Rodgers or Tom Brady. ABSOLUTELY!

But for whatever reason, he simply isn't doing it here. 

My only concern is that if we DO lose Dez, get someone in here that can immediately make a difference on this team. My choice is E. Thomas. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Can he go to another team and be a beast??? SURE!!!! Under Matt Ryan or Arron Rodgers or Tom Brady. ABSOLUTELY!

But for whatever reason, he simply isn't doing it here. 

So you think he could be a beast on a different team, and you site different QBs as a reason, but can't pin point a reason he isn't doing it here?

• Like 1